jokn

Asus P7P55D Pro
Intel Core i5 750
4 GB DDR3 13333
Samsung F1 250 (as SATA 1) <-this is where I'm trying to install Windows 7
Samsung F1 500 (as SATA 2)
Samsung DVD/RW (as SATA 3)
2x HIS Radeon 5770 in Crossfire

Doing a clean install off a OEM 7 Home Premium 64 disc, the install gets to the step after "expanding windows files", I think it's "installing features". After that, a restart occurs ending in a black screen and the message "BOOTMGR is missing, press ctrl.... " and so on.

From the DOS console I can see that C: contains nothing, but it's "reserved for system files" or someting like that. D:, however, contains multiple directories (about 80 Mb worth) including windows. Running the repair tool off the disc reveals no detectable Windows installation anywhere. Poking around the drives and directories under DOS I haven't been able to find the bootmgr. What am I to do?

I've also tried unplugging the HDDs, plugging just the one in and isnstalling etc. but to no avail...

Please help!

Last edited:
Hi, are you having to load up a SATA driver when you install 7 or doesn't it ask for one?

Kemical: no, it's not asking for drivers. The drives show up fine.

Drew: I don't have a machine that I could plug the drive into for formatting, so I've only tried QuickFormat.
The OS is an OEM version for the European market (I live in Finland) that I purchased from a component retailer here in Finland. I was assured by the seller that the disc IS a full install and nor just an upgrade.
So: new HDDs, new verified original (I called MS) OEM copy, no luck.
I've gone through the cycle about 30 times now. Sometimes the "expanding windows files" step only gets to 10% before it restarts, sometimes it hangs on 4%. Like it's not writing on the HD properly... I'm stumped.:confused:

What about bios updates? (sorry, clutching at straws here) Is your bios the latest version?

It has to boot from the C: partition

Hit the F? key when you restart you commuter and see if there is a boot option on the screen.

Pick the second hard drive in the list and see if it boots.

If it does, post back because there are more steps to take.

Then get into the BIOS on the black screen and choose the the hard drive up to the top position,.

Asus P7P55D Pro
Intel Core i5 750
4 GB DDR3 13333
Samsung F1 250 (as SATA 1) <-this is where I'm trying to install Windows 7
Samsung F1 500 (as SATA 2)
Samsung DVD/RW (as SATA 3)
2x HIS Radeon 5770 in Crossfire

Doing a clean install off a OEM 7 Home Premium 64 disc, the install gets to the step after "expanding windows files", I think it's "installing features". After that, a restart occurs ending in a black screen and the message "BOOTMGR is missing, press ctrl.... " and so on.

From the DOS console I can see that C: contains nothing, but it's "reserved for system files" or someting like that. D:, however, contains multiple directories (about 80 Mb worth) including windows. Running the repair tool off the disc reveals no detectable Windows installation anywhere. Poking around the drives and directories under DOS I haven't been able to find the bootmgr. What am I to do?

I've also tried unplugging the HDDs, plugging just the one in and isnstalling etc. but to no avail...

Please help!

To add to what's been discussed:

- I would boot the 7 installaton DVD and format the partition from within the installation process
- The error you see can pop up due to a broken installation DVD or a broken DVD drive (when the installation files are not read properly)
- If your 7 installs alright but you still see the error, try these steps:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. Boot your computer with the Windows 7 installation DVD. Press any key when prompted to boot PC with CD\DVD, what you see shortly after you start the computer with the boot disk in your drive

2. When Windows 7 completes loading "setup files", you'll be asked to select the language you need, time, and currency. Select those and click "Next"

3. Next you'll see "install now". BUT (!) below select the option “repair your computer

4. Now Windows 7 DVD will search for the drive where you installed 7 and will try to check for problems

5. Wait for a while until it shows the problem related to BOOTMGR, which will be replaced this time properly

6. Should work

7. Enjoy

After messing around for hours with the darn thing, my resources are exhausted. So I took the machine to a local PC repair shop for some (hopefully) professional care. I called them up today to see if they'd made any progress, and was told that all the hardware checks out fine... except for the CPU. Great. They weren't 100% sure if the thing's cooked or not, they said they'd get back to me later this afternoon (Finland time, morning EST). I thought I heard the guy say something about the heatsink not making solid contact with the CPU. Now, this is my first crack at putting a PC together, but I'm pretty sure, having done my homework on this, that I mounted the heatsink properly. We'll see. I'd just hate to have to fork over another $270 to replace the CPU.

jokn,.

I really wish you would have beared with us a little longer.

I had at least two more ideas in mind,. one of which I believe most certainly would have worked

Seeing you already took it to the repair show I'd paid their diagnostic free and head home. If that is the case you can do It yourself

I know your machine is of good quality and components but they want to charge you $270.00..

I purchased a cheap E-Machine with a 22"' wide screen monitor for $399.00..

I'm dual booting Windows 7 Pro and Vista,

Windows 7 Pro is incrediblily fast

Post back and let us know the results.

Ok, the shop's convinced that either the mobo or the CPU is busted. Tomorrow they're gonna plug a fresh CPU in the socket and see if that'll fix it. Now I'm not so sure about the diagnosis of a bad CPU or mobo... in any case, I think tomorrow the box is going back home with me. If new components are what's needed, fine. I'll just get 'em where ever I can get 'em the cheapest. But before that there are indeed a few more things to try... Reghakr, I'd sure like to hear what you had in mind (I was thinking of trying to install off an external HDD, disabling the network controller in the BIOS...).
Oh, I didn't even ask the repair guy if they'd tried to install any other OS on it, to see if it'll take anything.

If this is truly a hardware issue it wouldn't work,. but..............

Since some of the partition were created with the botched install,. you could have used a tool called GParted.. This tool ca delete ALL PARTITION AND THEN A YOU to CREASE A PARTITION OF ABOUT 60gb already FORMATTED WITH NTFS.

you THE COULD HAVE TRIED THE installation AGAIN,.

sorry,. Caps lock got stuck

SUCCESS!!
Got the box back from the shop and:
-reinstalled the CPU cooler PROPERLY
-pulled out everything but one stick of RAM, one HDD, DVD-ROM and one GPU
-cleared the CMOS
-disabled audio, network controller and the 1394 controller in the BIOS
-popped in the installation disc and..
VOILÃÂ￾! Windows 7 up and running!

Lemme tell ya folks, I'm one hapyy mf'in camper!
Thanks y'all for you time, ideas and moral support!

Back
Top Bottom