Windows 7 Win7 Install Failure with BSOD 0x000005C

topcoug

I was hoping you might be able to point me to a resource that could help a relative having trouble upgrading to Windows 7 - 32-Bit on a mainstream PC built for Windows XP. I was a bit disappointed that he was on a call with support for 1 ½ hours to help him through a BSOD issue. In the end after 4 simple re-install attempts, the response was that he should take it to a local shop. His PC meets all the pre-requisites and passed all the pre-install tests, and still boots up fine with XP (Good Fall back). But, after 30% of the install, it fails to re-boot into Windows 7. The support blogs don’t appear to provide much definitive trouble shooting steps.

I was hoping from a Consumer User Experience perspective, this problem may be helpful to you to better understand if there is a basic HW compatibility issue that many users are running into when installing Windows 7 on main stream computer setup that was originally built for Windows XP. Any assistance you can provide to help me steer him a good resource that can help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is some details about his machine and the failure:

PC: HP Pavilion A1340N, Windows XP Version 2002 SP3
BIOS: Rev 3.05 2002-05, CMOS Utility: V02.58 1985-2004, American Megatrends
Processor: Intel Pentium 4, 3.2 GHz, 32-Bit, 64-Intel Pentium Processor Technology
Memory: 1 GB DDR2 SDRAM
Graphics Display: ATI Radeon Express 200 Series
On Board Video Memory: 64MB, PC2-4200
Primary Video adaptor: PCI

Windows 7 - Install Process

1) All Windows 7 - 32-Bit Pre-Installation checks performed.
2) Initial phase of install for Win7 - 32Bit appears successful, Copying Files … Expanding Files … 30 %

3) Reboot .. As it comes up … Starting Windows … White text ¼ way up … Microsoft Corporation on the bottom. Colored windows do not begin to circle around (hint of graphics card incompatibility?)

4) Blue Screen with only 1 line *** stop: 0x000005c (0x0000010b, 0x0000003, 0x00000000, 0x0000000) (Screen attached)
W7_Install_BSOD.JPG

5) Repeated installs produces the same results

6) Boot option to start previous OS (Windows XP) works well, system reboots and is fully functional (Screen attached)
W7_Reboot-Options_after_BSOD.JPG

topcoug:
Hello and welcome to the forums. I have an even older, I suspect, Pavilion A250n (everything stock from factory), running the exact same setup dual booting XP Pro Sp3, and Windows 7 Pro 32 bit, with no problems what so ever. I would only ask, which version of Windows 7 are you attempting to install, Retail, OEM, one of the older RCs and what is the source media, purchased or burned ISO, etc. The reason I ask is that sometimes the media or the device that the media is using (DVD player) can cause some similar problems.

Most all of us agree that an upgrade is not the route to take. It leaves useless files on your system and can cause conflicts.

Save all you Documents, Pictures, contacts, videos, music, etc to a flash drive,

Be aware, you will need to re-install your 3rd party applications.

There is a poll going on now and "clean" install is winning by a mile.

I think, as he can still boot up XP, he did a clean install on another partition.But it Looks like a bad dowload/dvd

Back