Windows 7 Win7 Laptop Battery Problem

phillycodehound

Honorable Member
So I'm really confused. I have the full version of the Win7 Home Premium on my HP DV6748us. When I first installed it the battery was fine. Then the battery only lasted until it reached 45%. Then after and Update from Microsoft It dropped to 16% and won't charge past that. And now it's 9%. It was a new replaced battery. What's going on? I really don't think it's a problem with the battery. Could it be a problem with a setting?

Please advise!

Thanks!

-Seth

I'd check the power saving settings and see if the profile is on the correct settings for your preferences, as there are settings in there to auto power down on set percentages. Also some batteries can loose power capacity if they aren't charged fully on the first use, although i'd expect most people would do that.

i would also be checking the charger is properly connected as my lass's laptop had a similar issue when the power lead became stretched due to endless wire tidying after every use and caused the power charge to fluctuate till wire was replaced.

Last edited:
Thanks though for your help. Any idea where I can get a DV6748 battery without breaking the bank? Maybe it is the battery though I doubt it.

-Seth

same probem

recently install WIN 7 on a EEEPC the power icon keep showing "replace battery". on xp it doenst have that error..

Apparently this is an ongoing problem that microsoft refuses to acknowledge. There is a whole topic on the microsoft technet site that goes on for 9 pages. I too had a problem with my battery once installing windows 7 from vista. I can't use my laptop for more than 15-20 minutes before it shuts off and now i have a constant red X over my battery icon telling me to consider replacing my battery. I could run it at least for an hour in vista, and this was only a few weeks ago. Here is a link to the to the topic..

Windows 7 and the battery error "consider replacing your battery" (Part 1)

Back