Windows 7 Win7 prof - No audio devices installed

kajax01

Hi,

I have win7 prof 64bit installed.
Motherboard Name: Asus P8H67
CPU Sockel: LGA1155
Audio: Realtek ALC887
nVIDIA HDMI/DP (4 times)

(In device manager: High Definition Audio Device (2x)
NVIDIA High Definition Audio (2x))

The problem:
When I tried to remove everything from my old 32bit AVerTV (SW & Drivers) and install a new one (AVerTV Volar HD Pro)
I suddenly realized that I don't have any sound any more.
In the device manager/sound, video & game controllers/.../properties I see everywhere
"A driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternate driver may be providing this functionality. (Code 32)".

The device is enabled.
When I try to update the drivers it says they were up-to-date.

Under Control panel / Sound it reads with Playback and Recording:
"No audio devices are installed".

The Speaker icon on the taskbar is disabled.
The Media player plays videos without sound.
When I boot from a Linux CD I can hear sound (on Youtube) which means that the HW works properly.

Any Hints?
Thanks a lot

Last edited:
Sounds like you have a driver that's taking control over all your sound devices. In device mangaer, disable all sound drivers and then reboot. Then after reboot enable one sound driver at a time and check to see if you get sound. If that sound driver doesn't work disable it again and go on to the next driver...follow this process until you've checked them all.

@bassfish,

Thanks for reply.

Whenever I enable a sound device in Device Manager there's a warning sign on the speaker
and in the properties under device status the same message appears ("A driver (service) for this device...").

But I also saw a strange driver (stdriverx64.sys) with "unknown" for provider, File version and Copyright and is not digitally signed under driver details.
Nevertheless it seems to be from "NCH Software" according to the file properties.
When I rename it there are no complaints.

Looks like you have not loaded the Realtek drivers for your system, and I am assuming that board has Realtek. Maybe if you load those, it will reset whatever might be causing the problem.

If you are installing a new TV Tuner card, uninstalling the old one and checking the box to remove all drivers may help. Then shutdown, swap the cards and then install the new drivers. The file you see may be related to the tuner card.

I have a separate entry for my TV Tuner card in the sound section.

What does "nVIDIA HDMI/DP (4 times)" mean? Do you have more than one Nvidia card and thus the reason for the 2 Nvida sound drivers?

Sometimes it is fun to check the hidden devices in Device Manager. There may be some ghost devices in the sound section you could uninstall. Those are usually entries for devices that have been used before so the drivers are ready.

Thanks for your Answer @Saltgrass,

Your are right, my board has the Realtek ALC887 as sound device integrated.
After disabling the drivers didn't help any I unistalled any of the sound device drivers and rebooted.
Then I used the Chipset DVD to install the Realtek drivers only.
Then I had in the device manager under sound...controllers 4 x "High Definition Audio Device" (from Microsoft) and a "Realtek High Definition Audio".

When I run AIDA64 I see under Multimedia/HD Audio:

Intel Cougar Point PCH - High Definition Controller [B-3]
|
|--- Realtek ALC887

nVidia GF114 - High Definition Controller
|
|--- nVIDIA HDMI/DP
|--- nVIDIA HDMI/DP
|--- nVIDIA HDMI/DP
|--- nVIDIA HDMI/DP
(I don't really know how to interpret this)

and under Multimedia/Windows audio:

midi-out.0 0001 001B(=identification) Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth

I have only one nVIDIA Card - actually a Graphic Card (GeForce GTX 560 Ti) and I suppose it has a sound controller integrated too becaus in the driver package there are also audio drivers included.

I uninstalled everything from the old AVerTV (It's actually an USB Device).

You are right, when I have the TV Tuner installed I also have an additional entry in the sound section but at the moment I'm only trying to get the sound working at all.

Viewing hidden devices unfortunately doesn't change anything in the sound section.

Bassfisher was talking about checking your drivers for ability. You should only have one nVidia High Definition Audio controller in the Device Manager. I have a 680 GTX and that is all it shows. I do not really understand the HDMI/DP reference either. But there may be some differences between our installs. Are you seeing these just in the AIDA64 utility, or the Device Manager also?

If they show in the Device Manager, if you look at the properties for the nVidia controllers (or any other multiple controller entry), do they all look the same, or can you tell which one is active? If not, you might start uninstalling them to see what happens. Bassfisher was talking about enabling only one at a time to check, but I have not done that procedure.

Are you using a midi device?

As soon as I enable any of the device controllers the warning sign appears in front of them regardless of whether I had rebooted before or not.
Well, HDMI/DP may probably be "High Definition Multimedia Interface/Display Port", so it doesn't have to do anything with sound directly.
I see that only in the AIDA64 util.
But the nVIDIA Graphic card also has Audio integrated...

From CW-Sysinfo utility - before this error occured:

Media High Definition Audio Device Internal High Definition Audio Bus
Media NVIDIA High Definition Audio Internal High Definition Audio Bus (4 x)

This is how it looks like in AIDA64 report:
PCI / PnP Audio
-----------------
Device description Type
nVIDIA HDMI/DP @ nVIDIA GF114 - High Definition Audio Controller PCI
Realtek ALC887 @ Intel Cougar Point PCH - High Definition Audio Controller [B-3] PCI

Then:

[ nVIDIA GF114 - High Definition Audio Controller ] with some detailed description

followed by 4 blocks like this:

[ nVIDIA HDMI/DP ] also with some detailed description
------------------------------------------------------------------

With CW-Sysinfo utility I see following:

Media Microsoft Streaming Clock Proxy
Media Microsoft Streaming Quality Manager Proxy
Media Microsoft Streaming Service Proxy
Media Microsoft Streaming Tee/Sink-to-Sink Converter
Media Microsoft Streaming Tee/Sink-to-Sink Converter
Media Microsoft Trusted Audio Drivers
Media NVIDIA High Definition Audio Internal High Definition Audio Bus
Media Realtek High Definition Audio Internal High Definition Audio Bus
and also in the device manager (the ms controllers appear additionally after uninstalling all of the sound drivers and subsequent rebooting)

Last edited:
Hi,

just in case:

Finally I had to restore my system to a previous restore point and the sound issue recovered...

Back
Top Bottom