Windows 7 Win7 Sound Problem

kirkm

Have just installed Windows 7. The sound very bad, with clicks and lots of distortion.
Moving volume up/down causes crackles.

Soundblaster X-Fi on Gigabyte GA-M56s-S3 motherboard with the correct drivers, Windows updates and latest BIOS.

I have kept XP on another drive and swap the boot drive in the BIOS while getting everything back up and running.

The sound in XP is fine. I see quite a bit about Win7 sound problems via Google but I think I've covered all the suggestions there (drivers, cables, BIOS etc).

No other programmes are installed yet, just the OS and updates.

Any ideas much appreciated. Thanks

Hi,

have you tried going into the Speaker properties and changing the settings there?

sound.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,

Just had a go... tried a few things but nothing much changed.
It has what seems to be all the right stuff

The board has built-n 8 channel audio... Have you tried that? Can you disable it in the bios if you are going to run an add-in card?

This is a troubleshooting site on Creative. Maybe it will help.

Creative Worldwide Support

You might also try cold booting to the Windows 7 install in case something of the XP drivers might be left in memory.

Hi Saltgrass

The board has built-n 8 channel audio... Have you tried that? Can you disable it in the bios if you are going to run an add-in card?

Haven't tried the OBA as it's record functionality is quite primitive. Realtek. (It's really 8 channel ??) Two good ones will do me :)

>This is a troubleshooting site on Creative. Maybe it will help.

Creative Worldwide Support

Thanks for the link. Looks like it focuses on where the card isn't recognised. Mine is, and all looks good in device manager.

>You might also try cold booting to the Windows 7 install in case something of the XP drivers might be left in memory.

It's a clean Win7 install onto SSD. I can remove the XP drive without any change.

Not really sure what to do.... try/buy another soundcard, or stick with XP. Win 7 is not stable... sometimes the 2nd monitor just cycles through off/on. A reboot always fixes it but why? Then the sound problem and the many hours needed to get the network working (like it does with XP) is a lot to get right. But then I did buy the darn thing....

Regards, kirkm

Windows 7 is normally stable, but some things can cause problems, and drivers seem to be one. I would suggest removing the sound card and just using the on board sound. Test it like that for a while to see if it helps the overall performance.

Realtek is what I have on my board... When you say primitive, to what to do refer as far as sound options or quality?

What PCI slot is the sound card normally installed to?

The Realtek sound sounded OK but it was a pain to record with (which is my main use).
The mixer control was the 'primitive' bit. Creative's was a lot better so I bought this soundcard especially for Win7 as my former LiveDrive II wouldn't work in Win7.

I have tried 2 PCI slots btw, both the same. Have rung ms as my Win7 says 90 days support and maybe that'll sort it. If yes, I'll let you know what it was.

Back