Windows 7 win7 unusable because my windows display fonts have disappeared!

inventv

Hi

My windows 7 boots up but there is no text under any of my icons. None of the menus have any text so the task windows are distorted and so are any buttons (which are all text free). I can get to my command prompt and the text display is fine (presumably it uses a different font) . I suspect my windows display font has been corrupted. I ran sfc scannow and it agreed that some files were corrupted but could not mend them. I have two solutions in mind:

1. How can I reinstall the font from the command line prompt? OR

2. can I set up a new user profile from the command prompt (and see if it all works fine under a new profile)

If not, does anyone else have any other ideas?

Thanks!

regards

If you want to know what files are having problems you can go to the site referenced. Look for this command and use it to give you a text file which will contain the errant files. Attach it or look at it yourself to see what files are missing. As the site explains, this command has to be run from an administrative command prompt.
findstr /c:"[SR]" C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >c:\Users\YourUser\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

I have had some folks say the SFC does not replace the Font files and some seem to indicate it does. Anyway if you find the problem files we can get a better idea.

If the font files have not been corrupted, you can use the backup to replace them if necessary. You might start with the Segoe UI fonts and look in the C:\Windows\winsxs folder to find a backup. Go down the list to the "microsoft-windows-font-truetype" and look for the segoeui folder. Open that and you should see 7 .ttf files. If you right click each one, or select them all, you should be able to use the install option from the context menu.

After you do that, right click the desktop and select Personalize. Then select the Windows Color option and Advanced Appearance settings... In the Item bar, select Message Box and look down to see if it shows Segoe UI size 9. If it does not, make note of what it does show the select the Segoe UI option. I hope this step will not be necessary, but you need to check.

Back