Windows 7 Win8-HDD + WinXP-HDD incompatibility

krnvs

There were two PCs - one with Win8 64bit ConsumerPreview(1 HDD 120GB) and one with WinXP 32bit (1 HDD 750GB). I've tried to put both HDDs in same PC but failed.
When bootdevice is HDD with WinXP everything is OK, just one more 'volume' appears. But when i set bootdevice to other HDD with Win8 the huge problem appears.
Usually when you turn on PC with Win8 there is a fish picture starting screen.
When I started my PC with both HDDs(SATA2) plugged - it SHUTS DOWN
(power off, not reboot or BSOD) just before fish-screen.
My PC is functioning normally only if winXP-HDD is disconnected.
Any suggestions, please?

I suppose some questions, how did you install the OSes, as separate installs on their own drive?

What controller are you using, and IDE or AHCI?

Could you get us a picture of the Disk Management window and attach using the paperclip on the advanced replies?

Although I am to install newer version of win8 soon, there are answers (2 of 3).

how did you install the OSes, as separate installs on their own drive?
WinXP was installed about year ago, then I've made Win8-bootUSB and installed it on formatted HDD

What controller are you using, and IDE or AHCI?
I have pretty old computers, no AHCI options for motherboard (GA-P41T and MSI-7360)

Thanks.

You do not mention which OS was moved to a new computer. If you moved the Windows 8 drive, it has to reinstall all its drivers, and may not be able to.

Ths is my boot sequence:
1. bios setup - HDD boot priority set to WD160... (with Win8 OS)
2. restart with saved settings
3. fish screen. i wasn't correct when wrote "SHUTS DOWN just before fish-screen" it shows up for an half-second and then SHUTS DOWN
0_a34ef_54a76c0a_XL.jpg

And here are two screenshoots of disk management:
Win8 - it works ONLY with one HDD installed
0_a34f0_9d7d761d_XL.jpg

WinXP (Russian) - it works fine on any configurations
0_a34f1_16db1a69_XL.jpg

Attachments

• RunFail.jpg
    RunFail.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 326
  • win8.png
    win8.png
    15 KB · Views: 372
  • winXP.png
    winXP.png
    11.6 KB · Views: 352
Are the 2 HDDs both SATA? Or is the XP IDE? Try swapping out the HDDs to M/B signal cables Be sure everything is seated well & properly. Sounds like a hardware issue. Not sure which, component but, I don't think it's the software. I would try to swap out parts & cables, narrow it down. Might be a RAM issue or part of the P/S is bad... can, still, work even if P/S is not 100% healthy. Best I can think what w/ not being hands-on.

Cheers,
Drew

Back