win8 starts in "Administrator" not in my acc.

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Help and Support' started by nichosi, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Trouble

Trouble Noob Whisperer

It is probably pretty important to note that with a dual boot system....
    You need to make absolutely certain that you are browsing to the correct partition that holds your SAM hive (system32\config) for your Windows 8 installation and not to accidently attempt to edit the XP registry during this process.

2. nichos

nichos Honorable Member

I apologise will read it again.

3. Trouble

Trouble Noob Whisperer

OK and that time we really did cross post.
    So make sure you read my post immediately above and make certain that you are editing the correct hive

4. nichos

nichos Honorable Member

unfortunately Load & Unload Hive are both grayed out.

5. Trouble

Trouble Noob Whisperer

You have to click on
    HKey local machine first and then use the file menu.

It's a step in the article

6. nichos

nichos Honorable Member

Load & Unload Hive are grayed out.

7. nichos

nichos Honorable Member

OK I had the Local Machine expanded, now is closed & l.hive works, will post again. Thanx

8. Trouble

Trouble Noob Whisperer

Good luck.
    And I will repeat make absolutely sure you are browsing to the correct location for the proper hive and if at any time you feel that you have made an error hit cancel and start over.

9. MikeHawthorne

MikeHawthorne Essential Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

Hi

Sorry about the issues after disabling the Administrator account, I did say after checking to see that my personal account was shown in User accounts. When I did it it just picked the next account to log into.

Since you can boot into Windows XP it might be easier to just backup everything on your Windows 8 drive that you don't want to lose including your entire Users Folder (which has all your libraries, links etc. in it) and then just do a system refresh or Reset from the DVD.

Mike

10. Trouble

Trouble Noob Whisperer

Yes, thanks Mike.
    How about we see if he makes any progress with actually saving his system first and then we may be able to see if he has likewise disabled his normal user account before we employ the nuclear option.

kemical likes this.
  11. nichos

nichos Honorable Member

OK now I am there but No. 38 binary value is at 10, shall I change it to 11, Close all & start again to change it back to 10 ?, would that togle it??

12. Trouble

Trouble Noob Whisperer

Are you certain that you have the correct SAM hive loaded
    10 is enabled or active:yes and 11 is disabled or active:no
    in column #2 row #8

What you are seeing leads me to believe that you are not in the correct location for the Windows 8 installation
    A dual boot system will usually involve multiple partitions, are you certain that when you browsed to the Windows\System32\Config folder that you went to the correct Windows 8 partition.

13. nichos

nichos Honorable Member

I must be,I am in C:\ windows\system32, & the next partition is my xp's one which has no system32 but, I wll try again.

14. Trouble

Trouble Noob Whisperer

Look closely and consider that when booting from the installation media the actual drive designations of C:\ or D:\ are not going to likely be what you are used to seeing normally.
    AND
    Even the partition containing your XP installation has to have a system32 folder.

Unfortunately I have to run out now for an hour or two. I'll check in later.
    Best of luck.

15. nichos

nichos Honorable Member

No problem Mike, I should have gessed.

Thanx all, will go for S.Reset & post again .........nick

16. nichos

nichos Honorable Member

Hellow again patient people.

Dispite your warnings I was in the wrong partition, found the elusive one & changed the 11 to 10 & now with ADMINtr problem over if I could reffer Trouble to your No.8 post copied below, I did the " lusrmgr.msc" & found my acc. Nick, but with my stupidity deleting the Admin acc., I stopped you continuing what I should do next.

I double clicked "Nick" & have in front of me its properties, what is the next step please?

EDIT
    I entered a discriprion, clickd "apply" & OK, rebooted but still only ADMIN acc appears. Came back to NICK, in further options oppened Help > How To > Manage Local Users > Disable or Activate > Properties, & I find the "Acc. is Disabled" is not ticked anyway. Where next?

".......My guess is that somehow your account got disabled.
    Hold the windows logo key and strike the R key and type
    lusrmgr.msc
    and hit enter.
    Double click the users folder and see if there is a down arrow on your account......"

#36 nichos, Mar 17, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  17. Trouble

Trouble Noob Whisperer

Glad to hear that you've at least progressed to this point. Nice work, I know it can be a real pain in the butt.

Using lusrmgr.msc please refer to the attached image and examine the problem account you are referring to as "Nick".
    If it disabled you'll need to enable it by unchecking the box.

lusrmgr.PNG

18. nichos

nichos Honorable Member

Thanx ,

maybe I edited my last post after you posted yours above. The edit says I went to your suggestion & my account has no tick in the "acc. disabled", what next.

19. Trouble

Trouble Noob Whisperer

There is another means of hiding an account from the welcome screen, by editing the Windows Registry.
    I have know idea why or how that may have been accomplished without your knowledge or consent but have a look
    Open regedit and go here
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList
    If you have such a key and if your account "Nick" is present in the right hand pane then you need to remove it from there.

20. nichos

nichos Honorable Member

Nope, I can get up to Winlogon which has Alt.Shells, Autologon checked & GPExtensions , but no SpecialAccounts\UserList.