Windows 8 win8 starts in "Administrator" not in my acc.

nichosi

Hi,

this morning win8 booted in "Administrator" not in my User acc. ,Tried a few times with no change.

I cannot find an option to change "User".

Note: I have transferred everything from my 500gb HD to a new 1 Ter. WD HD.

I just changed HDs to my old 500gb & it booted to my user's acc as it normally did.

can anybody help? ......thanx .....nick

Home build, Asus P5K Premium WiFi,Intel,
Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 95W 2.4GHz, OCZ Vendetta Cpu Cooler, 2x2GB,
240-pin DIMM, DDR2 800 (400mhz) PC2-6400, EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX KO 512MB
GDDR3 (PCI-E), WD 1Terra , Corsair TX750M Psu, X45, XPhome/win8.1 64

Note: I have transferred everything from my 500gb HD to a new 1 Ter. WD HD.
How did you accomplish this task? What method / software did you use to transfer?

I assume you mean, when you connect the "New" 1 terabyte hard disk that, that is what is booting into "Administrator", and by that I also assume you mean the normally disabled and typically hidden, real "Administrator's" account and not a user account that is a member of the local "Administrators Group".
AND
When you replace that drive with your original 500 gigabyte drive everything works as you expect?

What happens when you log off, do you see a lock screen and then do you see a welcome screen with multiple user accounts which includes "your" user account?

What happens when you go into Control Panel->Users->Manage Another Account?
Do you see "your" user account there?
What happens when you look in C:\Users? Is "your" user profile folder there?

Thank you,

I have to change to the 1Ter. HD to check your question won't be a mo. ........nick

Hi

I was having a similar problem in Windows 10 recently.
My computer was booting directly into my Administrator account without giving my any options to chose my regular account.

After checking to see that my personal account was shown in User Accounts I disabled the Administrator account and it then booted into my normal account.

If it's booting into the hidden Admin account you could try and disable it by opening the Command Prompt as Administrator and typing in...

net user administrator /active:no

It's worth a shot.

Mike

Thanx Noob

I think it was Acronis but all worked fine for the last 7 months.
Yes the WD 1tr. boots into admor.
Users->Manage Another Account gives admin & guest only.
Yes original works OK as before.
Yes in C:\Users is mine "Nick" witheverything in it.
when I Lock off & wnt to lock in again only Admin again.

Thanx Mike I typed it in & at once said successful.

I am in Admin's acc. now , I will reboot & post again the result. ....nick

My guess is that somehow your account got disabled.
Hold the windows logo key and strike the R key and type
lusrmgr.msc
and hit enter.
Double click the users folder and see if there is a down arrow on your account.

Then booted in my dualboot XP & typed it with :YES, rebooted but still cannot get in w8 Admintr .

Thanx Mike I typed it in & at once said successful.

I am in Admin's acc. now , I will reboot & post again the result. ....nick

If you've done that
AND
If I understand correctly..... you can no longer boot into Windows 8
THEN
My suggestion would be to boot with the Windows 8 installation media and perform a
"System Restore" from there to an earlier point in time before you did that.
not a Reset nor Refresh
Hopefully that will return your Windows Registry settings and correct the problem.

Tried that & System restore says:- No restore points have been created on your PC 's system drive.

I have done 7 points & the last 2 in Jan & Feb 15.

which is the list painfull of the other two?

Last edited:
We seem to have a bit of a language barrier.
Tried that & System restore says:- No restore points have been created on your PC 's system drive.
AND
I have done 7 points & the last 2 in Jan & Feb 15.
That would appear to be a contradiction. You either have them or you don't.
AND
With a dual boot system we may be getting into an uncertain area if you proceed from here.
Dual boots and what they seem to do to restore points always confuses me.
Of course the most recent one is generally likely to be the most painless but I was hoping for something a bit more current.

There is another method that you can use to re-enable the hidden Admin Account. It's a bit complicated and involved but it may be worth examining to see if it is something that you are comfortable doing. You may want to print it out as the step by step is very important.
Have a look at Option Two in this article here .....
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorial...rator-account-enable-disable-windows-8-a.html

Sorry if I confused you.

1. I I tried the System Restore but it could not find any Restore Point, although I did created a number of them recently.

2. Which is the least damaging of these two : Reset nor Refresh

3. I can not regedit as I can not boot in w8 administrator, I am locked out.

Any other ideas please?

3. I can not regedit as I can not boot in w8 administrator, I am locked out.
You can do the same thing under the repair options -> Trouble Shooting -> Advanced -> Command Prompt
When you boot with the Installation Media

EDIT:
I just did it on my Windows 10 64 bit installation, using a Windows 8 64 bit DVD.
Worked flawlessly.

I will try with my DVD as I did for system restore & will post back.

EDIT, open the C.Prompt now but, how do the regedit editing in the link you gave me earlier.

Or did you mean you did something else?

OK.... by all means, keep us posted.
Just follow the steps exactly in that article I linked to and you shouldn't have a problem.
As I said, I just did it to test and it worked fine.

Using the advansed options C.Prompt I did earlier the "net user administrator /active :no" but

I changed it to "yes" & nothing happened, is putting "yes" correct ?

Unfortunately you can't do that from the installation media. It doesn't impact the underlying OS when you perform that command from the DVD
You need to follow the steps for editing the registry that I linked to and suggested that you print out in my earlier post.

Read the article.
You can simply type "regedit" at the same command prompt from the installation media as you are attempting to correct the net user administrator /active:yes from.
The net user command won't work for you.
The registry editor will. If you follow the steps exactly.

Back