Windows 8 win8 starts in "Administrator" not in my acc.

OK. I was pretty certain that it wasn't there but thought I would mention it.

You said that C:\Users still has your "Nick" profile folder in it...... correct??
I think we might have to just treat this as a corrupt profile and proceed from there

Basically you just create a new user and copy the contents of the old "Nick" profile folder over to the new "Nick2" profile folder.
What ever you decide to name the new user make sure he / she / it, is a member of the local administrators group and log on once as the new user to create a profile.
Don't worry about what the desktop looks like or anything at that point.
Then log off and log on as the local Administrator (the account you've been using up to this point).
The trick is .... you can't do a proper job of copying one profile to another when you are logged on as either old Nick or new Nick, so you use the administrator's account to accomplish this.

After you're done then log on as new Nick and your desktop, docs, shortcuts and such should be as you remember.

There's an article about the process here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/fix-corrupted-user-profile#1TC=windows-7
But basically it's as simple as I've described above.

Would you mind using the Windows Snipping Tool and upload a picture of your lusrmgr.msc console to I can see what you are seeing?

lsrmgr.jpg IMG_6040.JPG

Also attached is sfc.scan if is of any use.

Sorry for the delayed answer it was night here in the UK. ..........nick

Last edited:
Reference you SFC results, you might want to give the DISM tool a try and see if that helps
From an elevated command prompt type
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
hit enter
give that time to complete
reboot
and then run
SFC /scannow
again and see if the results are better
I have no reason to suspect that, that might fix the underlying problem with your user profile but who knows, it might.

Reference you lusrmgr.msc console picture.
Can you double click the "Nick" user and select the "member of" tab
See if that account is a member of "Administrators" and or "Users" groups?

I am stuck.

I did #3 adding nick which was accepted but, I think there was a very long odd entry which I deleted !!!!!

Then I do not have #4 onwards.

You have to click the "Advanced" button bottom left and then the
"Find Now" button, sort of middle on the right side and then
scroll down or up as needed at the bottom until you find "Nick"
AND
Please be careful what or who you choose to delete.

Trouble, what are you? a magician or was it you who designed win8.1 ??!!!, it boggles my mind. YOU did it, it worked even if I went to No. 3 only.

I rebooted just to see what happens, it went into Admintr , I went to change users & there I was. I cannot believe my eyes,

FANTASTICK, thank you ever so much I am back to square one. I owe you one but, not in a hundred years could I repay you.

My very Best regards to you & all who so patiently helps us.

Glad to hear that you were able to resolve your issue and thanks for posting back and updating your thread with that information.
It took a little longer than I had hoped but......
All's well that ends well.
AND
Boy would I love to know how this whole thing started and why?
Now you should be able to safely disable the normally hidden Administrator's account without any issue.
Besides, now you're an expert on how to fix it in an emergency.
Best
Randy

That's exactly what I was going to ask you if you knew how could have happened so I avoid it. Could it be virus? ...nick

Edit:- was one morning on start up. The previous night was OK.

I have no idea whatsoever ....
It's a mystery as to how your account was removed from the proper group(s) membership
AND
An even bigger mystery as to how the normally disabled Administrator's account was enabled allowing you a means to access the machine even with your account messed up.

I've never actually heard of any malware or virus behaving in such a manner but it certainly wouldn't hurt running some good scanners just to see what might be found.

Last edited:
Thanx,

What a mistery, so Admntr was a blessing after all, I've looked around if I could enable it permanently in case of need but seems no easy way.

Do I need to go again as you suggested for my account?

Back