Windows 10 Windows 10 Insider Preview

Talk and screenshots of a new build here (namely Build 9879):
http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows...aked-improved-animations-security-updates-and

In this build, you can simply right-click on the taskbar and hide the Search and Task View buttons on the taskbar. You can also pin things to the Home area of File Explorer, and the Modern UI app settings menu available in the top left has changed from three dots to the familiar hamburger-style button. It still functions the same, but it now has a more universal look to it.

Sounds like they are listening..

Looks like they really are listening! Some great news.....

Microsoft will issue ISO's for Windows 10 build 9879 "soon"
Microsoft has today announced that ISO's for the latest Windows Technical Preview build will be available soon. The reason why Microsoft aren't releasing ISO's right away is because they need Windows Insiders to help them test the automatic upgrade process between builds via PC settings.

Microsoft said on their official blog post:

... we heard from you loud and clear you want ISO images of the new builds we release. We felt it was important to listen to that and give you what you want – but there’s a catch. Getting the update & install data from our Preview Builds mechanism is super important for us. It helps us ensure smooth ESD distribution, download, and upgrade success for this program going forward, and also will help us ensure great upgrades for people once we release Windows 10. So we’re going to release the ISOs at the same time as we publish to the Slow ring.

So, when the build is issued out to those on the slow preview ring, those who wish to install ISO's will also get access to them. Right now, Microsoft is yet to issue an ETA for build 9879 in the slow ring, meaning we're not sure when the ISO's will be released. One can assume it will be before the months end.

There you have it. Those who wish to gain access to ISO's, your wish is granted. You've just got to be somewhat patient for it.
Ref:
http://www.winbeta.org/news/microsoft-will-issue-isos-windows-10-build-9879-soon

Experiencing some unusual hard and fast freezes with this latest Build, which seem to have occurred shortly after installing that 14MB update. Not sure if the two are related and it is not the black screen issue described in the link.

EDIT: Please disregard; the problem turned out to be a matter of coincidence. It seems that my old nVidia display adapter just happened to take this particular time and opportunity to go wonky and fail. So it had nothing to do with the OS, the new build, or the subsequent 14 Meg update. Very sorry for the false alarm.

Last edited:
Hi

I have installed all of my software in Windows 10 now.

That means all of my games, Adobe software, video editing, 3D viewing programs, security software, codecs, search engines, Rocket Dock, browsers, email clients etc.

I'm not seeing much of a slowdown, maybe booting is a little slower, but still much faster than Windows 8.

Everything I click on opens almost instantly.
Opening Internet Explorer has slowed a little taking 3 seconds to open instead of 1.
Chrome has slowed a little more than that.

I've updated each time, no fresh installs.

I just made my 15th image file since I installed W10, this one is the first of the new version 9879.

I've restored 5 times so far to correct issues with sound and when I've decided to remove things I've added so I'm not accumulating a lot of errors.

I'm going to treat the real install when it happens the same way.
Restore instead of bashing around trying to fix things that are broken.

So far it seems to keep things much cleaner.

Mike

Windows 10 Consumer Preview: Here's what Windows Insiders can expect in 2015
Win10Prev_StartMenu.jpg

It was announced recently that no more Windows 10 builds would be issued to Windows Insiders this year, and that the program will resume in early 2015. That leaves over a month and a half between now and the next publicly available build, so what can we expect to see in early 2015?

Since the launch of the Windows Insider Program, Microsoft has introduced us to a new Start Menu, windowed Modern UI apps and many more awesome desktop-like features. The whole point of the Windows Technical Preview at this stage was to show Enterprises that Windows is still a viable desktop operating system, as well as receive feedback from Windows Insiders regarding the desktop as a whole.

Internally, Microsoft is considering this a success. Over 200,000 bits of feedback has been submitted by Windows Insiders, and Enterprises are happy with the direction in which Windows 10 is heading. So what's the next step for Microsoft and its development journey with Windows 10? Consumers.

The consumer side of Windows 10
The new year should see Microsoft talking more about the consumer side of Windows 10, and we're expecting to see a consumer-orientated preview which runs on desktops, tablets and phones. Windows Insiders should start receiving new builds in January/February, and these new builds will be packed with new features for every kind of device. Microsoft should introduce Windows Phone 10 too and talk about its many new features.

Windows10_OneStore.jpg

What kind of features are we going to see in the Windows 10 Consumer Preview? Well considering this preview is designed for more than one form factor, we should get to play with Continuum and the brand new Start Screen. In the most recent Windows Technical Preview build, an early version of the Start Screen is enable-able, meaning Microsoft is getting close to releasing it to Windows Insiders officially.

Many are awaiting the appearance of Cortana, the Microsoft personal-assistant which currently runs on Windows Phone. It's currently unclear when Cortana is set to appear in public builds, we know that Cortana is working in internal builds of the operating system, we just don't know when Microsoft plan to release her publicly. It's possible that Microsoft will unveil her alongside the Consumer Preview, but hold off on her release until BUILD in April, but now we're treading into the speculation zone.

On the desktop side of things, WinBeta understands that an updated UI and more "modernized" icons are on the way. By the time Windows 10 is released, we should have a whole batch of new icons, with the old ones nowhere in-sight. In the most recent builds (989x), the recycle bin, and many others have been updated. Regarding the updated UI, it's currently unclear what this entails. We understand that Microsoft has been thinking about introducing some form of transparency effect to the UI in Windows 10, but considering those plans aren't concrete, we're not holding our breath just yet.

cvb.jpg

We also understand that live-tiles on the desktop are set to make an appearance at some point during development, at the very latest sometime around BUILD. You can already create shortcuts to Modern UI apps on the desktop by simply dragging the app from the Start Menu and dropping it on your desktop. In upcoming builds, doing the same thing will result in the actual live-tile of the app being placed to the desktop, much like Gadgets used to work.

The Notification Center should see some more enhancements, as Action Center is set to make an appearance in newer builds. Of course, the Notification Center will also make an appearance within the touch-UI too. And of course, Internet Explorer 12 and Office for touch are both set to make an appearance at some point in 2015.

So, that's just a small snippet as to what's coming for Windows Insiders. Of course, all the features listed here won't show up immediately, but will be scattered across a number of upcoming builds. Also, we doubt this is everything coming in Windows 10, we imagine more features and tweaks are in the pipeline before Windows 10 RTMs in the Summer of 2015. Expect Microsoft to have an event/announcement at the beginning of 2015 detailing the many consumer-features of Windows 10, and will be expecting a heap-load of more feedback to be submitted by you, the Windows Insiders.
Ref:
http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows-10-consumer-preview-heres-what-windows-insiders-can-expect-2015

Good news on the 9879 iso release:
Microsoft announced not too long ago that the recently released Windows Technical Preview build would be sent out to those in the slow ring soon, and will arrive with a number of bug fixes to help stabilize the operating system. The company claims that crash data from those in the fast ring has helped Microsoft in identifying the many problems this build suffered from.

It's currently unclear how the bug fix will be applied to the slow ring, whether it will be included with the actual upgrade process or released as a separate hotfix via Windows Update remains to be seen. For those who downloaded the build in the fast ring, we assume the bug fix will be delivered to you too via Windows Update.

It's unclear when Microsoft plan on pushing out the build for slow ring participants, however we have a feeling that it will be very soon. Microsoft promised that with the release of the build to the slow ring, ISO's would be made available for clean installation. Let's hope they stick to their word.

For those that did not know, you can switch between Slow and Fast ring updates in PC Settings > Update and Recovery > Preview Builds. Everyone is on the slow ring, by default. If you want to see the build right as it comes available, you will want to be on the fast ring. If you want to wait a bit and let major bugs get fixed before you install the build, wait for the slow ring.

In this case, Windows 10 build 9879 was released to those on the fast ring not too long ago, and has since been identified to have some issues that need to be resolved. Luckily, those on the slow ring will be receiving this build with less issues or bugs to worry about.
Ref:
http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows...w-ring-participants-will-arrive-new-bug-fixes

Winbeta has an article running recapping the weeks events and the ever changing Windows 10.
Windows 10 news recap: Desktop live tiles, NT kernel version 10.0 and more
Another busy Windows 10 week is behind us, meaning there's at least six more weeks until the next publicly available Windows 10 build is available. This week, we learned yet even more about Windows 10, and how next year will see Windows 10 spread its wings and shine bright like a diamond. Let's dive in shall we?

First up, we revealed earlier this week a few new Windows 10 features which are set to make an appearance in the new year. Those features, being live tiles on the desktop and many more were detailed exclusively here at WinBeta. We recommend you follow this link for a sneak peek at what's to come in the Windows Consumer Preview.

During the week, Microsoft further detailed their new OneStore for Windows 10, which is a Windows Store designed for all form factors. The new OneStore will offer IT administrators a whole load of options for deploying applications and managing distribution. Go check that out here!

It was also announced this week that build 9879 for slow ring participants would be released next week, meaning ISO's are inbound! If you're a slow ring participant, the build should land with bug fixes available from Windows Update, and for those who wish to update with ISOs, Microsoft promised ISOs would be released too.

9888ntver10cmd.jpg

And with what might be the biggest news this week, Windows 10 saw its NT kernel version bump from 6.4 to 10.0. As this story broke, many failed to believe its authenticity as this jump in version was deemed impossible a few months ago by developers. Still, Microsoft went ahead and did it, and they even confirmed this change too in an MSDN document available for IE developers!
ref:
http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows-10-news-recap-desktop-live-tiles-nt-kernel-version-100-and-more

An interesting thought in my mind. Do those of us who are running the OS, having got it through the "fast" path, now expect to get those improvements by some means, that is, through a large update, or should we change back to the "slow" path, and wait for the improved ISO?

Current speculation is that for current 9879 users (or those on the fast ring) will receive a Hotfix/update via Windows Update. Iso's should be available however and it's hoped that the release will be around the early part of this week maybe even today.. :)

Although it's already been posted, just for clarity here is links for the 9879 iso:
Calling all Insiders: ISO files of the November Update (build 9879) are now available for download. You'll still receive this update automatically via Windows Update, but if you prefer a clean install or you want to install on a virtual machine, you can download an ISO file instead. Here's how:

• Click one of the Download links on this page to download an ISO file that you can use to install the preview.

• When the download is complete, transfer the ISO file to installation media such as a USB flash drive or DVD.

• Boot your PC from the installation media, and then follow the steps to perform a clean install.
Ref:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso-update?os=win10

WinBeta.com have an article showing Cortana on the desktop. Cortana is an app from the Microsoft phone. More here:
Cortana will reportedly launch on Windows 10 with the same feature set available to the personal assistant on Windows Phone, considering the same backend will be used for both platforms. Although Microsoft may add PC-centric features in due time.

Cortana could make her debut on the Windows 10 Consumer Preview due in January next year, as no more Technical Preview builds are expected this year.
ref:
http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows-10-first-image-cortana-taskbar-leaked-chinese-oem

When i hear the name 'Cortana' I always think back to the AI Cortana that was in the game 'Halo'... I wonder if there is a connection?

This is getting to be a drama.
Many users are getting different symptoms and faults.
For example, the update you mentioned, caused me to have the need to log in to all the sites I visit. One in particular, (under discussion with the Admin there, I get a popup telling me my login is incorrect (Blah blah, what do I know, I have been visiting the site for some years without problems.) This is with IE. Chrome is not seeing the same problem.

Interesting to note that, so far, and in particular on the MS tech preview forums, the negative feedback has so far exceeded Windows 8 by a very large margin, yet the pundits are acclaiming the latest OS. What the heck!

Really? Do you have links David as I'm ashamed to say I haven't even visited their forum lol. I didn't even know there was any issues with IE as I always use Chrome 64bit Browser..

When I saw there was an update pending I instantly thought 'aaah bless em... Microsoft have released an update for the keyboard lights'. But alas no.... Now i hear it's an issue with IE and before that it was blue screens neither of these issues affected my system apart from a weird reboot (which has been fixed) and the afore mentioned keyboard lights.

For example, the update you mentioned, caused me to have the need to log in to all the sites I visit. One in particular, (under discussion with the Admin there, I get a popup telling me my login is incorrect (Blah blah, what do I know, I have been visiting the site for some years without problems.) This is with IE. Chrome is not seeing the same problem.

I had an issue like this, in addition I logged into my email client, (Mozilla Thunderbird) and found that everything was gone, my address books, local folders, all of my messages, and email accounts.

It was like I had just installed it.

I also found that web sites that I was always logged into automaticly had to be done manually again, and this was in Google Chrome.

It didn't seem to affect all of the sites I log into though, it didn't affect Amazon but it did affect some forum and game site logins.

I do think that 9879 has been brought up to date, I haven't had the issue with re-booting or my sound stopping in a week or so.

Back