Windows 10 Windows 10 Insider Preview

It definitely looks like more fixes are on the way for the current Build of 9879 as we won't be seeing any new builds until after Christmas:

Just yesterday, Microsoft issued a patch update for some Internet Explorer issues in Windows 10 build 9879, but it looks like they're not done yet. This morning, Microsoft Windows 10 go-to guy Gabe Aul again tweeted, in response to a question on if we'll "see more Windows 10 9879 patch updates before the end of 2014?":
tweet_zps89e84894.jpg

Some Windows 10 watchers are wondering why Microsoft doesn't just go ahead and release a new, less buggy version of Windows 10 Technical Preview instead of continuing to patch this one, but a new full build isn't expected until after the first of the year.

So anyway, keep your eyes open for some new bug fixes, and keep providing feedback to Microsoft on any Windows 10 issues you're having, they may just get fixed!
ref:
http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows-10-more-build-9879-patch-updates-way-end-year

I just got a new update when I booted my computer this morning.
It restarted before it got to the desktop and took quite a while with a blue screen saying working on updates or something like that.

Unfortunately the keyboard lights still don't work.

Mike

Well I thought I'd give build 9888 a try and see what's what. Still no keyboard lights working (for me at least) and really I couldn't see much difference between it and Build 9879. Oh well back to 9879.....

LOL. Build 9888 was not an ongoing update, but an in-house build. I believe it's only purpose was to test out the blue screen issue, which was subsequently released as an update. I did the same Ross. could't hold back on my curiosity. I guess if we want to have a nosy look at pirated builds, in the middle of a testing period, we take the consequences.

I have deleted it now and gone back to the official sequence.

Yeah I've gone back but do believe we'll be seeing this build again in the consumer preview unless something new comes along which is entrely possible.

I raised this point on another forum. It led to quite a few posts but no official verdict. I think we can probably interpret it as being a free for all to download, but, unless you have a legit licensed copy of Windows 8, you will need the key to activate it - which, of course, you will have to buy. Keep in mind that the insider program was also opened to Windows 7 users. I cannot see MS giving 5 million users a free copy of the next windows.

Until we are closer to the final release I would view anything said as simply 'a possiblility' and not something definite.

Hi

I bought several DVDs for Windows 7 at the time for (I think) $29.95 each.
They sent me a special link or code that let me buy them through Amazon at the low price.

One went to my nephew to update his computer one I used on my own, and one I had for a long time until I gave it to a friend of mine who wanted to update his computer from XP.

I still have a install disk for Windows XP with a serial number that's never been used, and probably never will now.

Mike

How to fix the OneNote, Mail, and Reader app errors:

Users of the Windows 10 Preview have reported that the OneNote, Mail and Reader apps not updating on the latest build 9879 of Windows 10. However, a fix has been found for each separate app.

For OneNote, users are advised to firstly start Admin powershell. Following this, in powershell, prompt (without quotation marks)

"get-appxpackage *microsoft.office.onenote* | remove-appxpackage".

Following this, prompt "remove-appxprovisionedpackage –Online –PackageNameMicrosoft.Office.OneNote_2014.919.2035.737_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbwe".

Having done this, restart the store, search for the OneNote app, install it and the problem will most likely have been resolved.

For Mail, again start Admin powershell. Then prompt

"get-appxpackage *microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps* | remove-appxpackage".

Then prompt "remove-appxprovisionedpackage –Online –PackageName microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_17.5.9879.20671_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe".

If an error message pops up at this point, just ignore it. Following this, repeat the same steps from before, restart the store, search for the app and then install it. If the app fails to install the first time, cancel the installation and then try again, this time it should work.

Lastly, for Reader, start the Admin powershell, then prompt

"get-appxpackage *Microsoft.Reader* | remove-appxpackage".

Then prompt "remove-appxprovisionedpackage –Online –PackageName Microsoft.Reader_6.4.9841.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe"

Again if an error message appears, just ignore it. After doing this, restart the store, search for the app and install it, if the installation fails then do the same as before, cancel the installation and try again.
Ref:
http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows-10-build-9879-how-fix-onenote-mail-and-reader-app-errors

Could be interesting to see where this ends up..
However, for those of you who have experienced a "dirty shutdown" while working on an important document or while playing a resource intensive game, Microsoft is working on fixing this issue once and for all with Windows 10. A "dirty shutdown" is typically unexpected and does not produce a blue screen (BSOD). Rather, your computer just shuts off or sometimes reboots.
Full article:
http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows...ontaneous-system-restarts-aka-dirty-shutdowns

A new Microsoft browser??
Microsoft may be shifting focus from its long time web browser Internet Explorer (IE) to a new product, code named "Spartan", while still maintaining support for IE. The browser, said to be "lightweight" and based on Microsoft's Trident rendering engine (not the more widely used WebKit, as some have hoped), as well as the company's Chakra JavaScript engine. The new browser will apparently ship with Windows 10 on both desktop and phones, but on the desktop will be coupled with a version of Internet Explorer to handle compatibility issues.
Ref:
http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows-10-microsoft-working-new-browser-code-named-spartan

They need one!

Every time I try to use IE, I give up and go back to Chrome or Firefox.
They need to make it as easy to use as Chrome is.

Mike

When Windows10 will be releasing? I just want to try the beta version, I guess it will be different from Windows 8.1 and similar to Windows 7.

So what build is this one?

After reading the article, I'm left with more questions then I got answers. Still, I'm really looking forward to 10 release to the public.

No posts for five days?
1. Windows 10 is so good, no one has anything about which to complain (LOL!!)
2. Everyone is poised waiting for the next build.
3. Everyone is bored with the whole thing!!

Back
Top Bottom