Windows 10 Windows 10 Insider Preview

Well. I am adjusting a heck of a number of things to my liking, and it is beginning to shape up now. I confess I am finding the old control panel more useful than "Settings"

Hi

I just finished creating my bootable install disk.
I'm going to wait until tomorrow to do the install, I have to make a new backup and be sure I have all my data on the disk I'm going to install it on backed up as well before I format it and start over.

Mike

That curious. Mine doesn't show anything like yours . Are you on Enterprise or pro
snip...
But, fwiw. I doesn't wish to turn it off. Just remarking, on my installation, it doesn't show in the old Control Panel

I have pro... looking at your screen, my list is sorted by name and yours is not?

fyi I'm not super upset about Microsoft updates myself... as I've said before my issue is just their pushing auto-downloads which isn't happening on any system under my control.

Windows store beta: the good; the bad, and the ugly.

I like that the new search system correctly identifies apps that didn’t come from Microsoft.

I want my apps that I have paid for to be displayed in a helpful list… yes the new x-box games are somewhat cute but that isn’t what I asked about.

Clicking the install button on some NON-Microsoft apps does nothing at all. No error message that this app isn’t supported or an offer to download the executable manually… in fact, no feed back what so ever.
Screenshot (12).png

I have pro... looking at your screen, my list is sorted by name and yours is not?

fyi I'm not super upset about Microsoft updates myself... as I've said before my issue is just their pushing auto-downloads which isn't happening on any system under my control.
Lol. Correct. Didn't even occur to me!
No answer for you feelings about the updates. Plenty of threads on the subject, here and elsewhere. I sympathise, but, quite honestly, (your final words), the system is not, in fact, under your control.
In one of their official blogs, right at the beginning in the privacy statement, they warned of this:

"you should be comfortable with letting Microsoft poke around your system .If your PC runs into problems, Microsoft may examine your system files, and transmit data to its systems, in some cases without alerting you nor giving you the option of stopping the information transfer.

Specifically, after installing the OS, Microsoft will collect information about you, your devices, applications and networks, and how you use them.. Examples of data we collect include your name, email address, preferences and interests; browsing, search and file history; phone call and SMS data; device configuration and sensor data; and application usage "

One factor here, obviously, is that it makes it difficult to send feedback, if a mod has subsequently correcting the problem.
Anyway, jus my view.

Got the old All Apps screen back. Now I just need to work on the Metro Start screen.

Untitled.png

David I have to ask... But why? Do you miss the old start screen that much?

A bit more new information regarding Spartan....
Evidently it will contain dual rendering engines. The IE style for backwards compatibility for legacy websites as well as the new rendering engine for newer sites.
Spartan provides compatibility with the millions of existing enterprise web sites designed for Internet Explorer. To achieve this, Spartan loads the IE11 engine for legacy enterprise web sites when needed, while using the new rendering engine for modern web sites.
SOURCE: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/...and-the-windows-10-january-preview-build.aspx

Dislike the new Start Menu? The old one from build 9879 is still around..
With the recent arrival of the new Windows 10 January Preview, a number of new features and changes came included. One new change is the Start Menu, which for some has become a pain to use with the new Continuum mode. Luckily, the code for the old-style 9879 Start Menu is still present, meaning it can be re-enabled with one simple registry tweak.
More info:
http://www.winbeta.org/news/how-bring-back-old-resizable-start-menu-running-windows-10-build-9926

Just a friendly reminder for anyone who applies the "Classic" or the Mod of the Start menu, as linked by Kemical. Be careful of sending back misleading feedback on any subject relating to the start menu.

I have. It does as stated. You can make the start menu box taller and hide icons. With more builds down the line, the small help is not worth the bother imo.

I understand that their is another build coming very soon. We don't have to wait until feb.

I see there's still twins when using netplwiz command..
Fyi you cann't use the netplwiz to open an enhanced session because that runs from remote management i.e. outside the system so when you back up (see the twins) you are logging in as a normal session without the extra mapped drives.

How to enable the new Logon screen in Windows 10 Technical Preview build 9926
Now that over 2 million people are running the Windows 10 Technical Preview, more and more hidden gems are being discovered. We now know how to enable the new tray icon, how to access Cortana by voice, and how to switch to the Project Spartan rendering engine in Internet Explorer, among others. Today, we are going to show you how to enable the alternative log-on screen in the latest Technical Preview (Build 9926).
Full article:
http://www.winbeta.org/news/how-enable-new-logon-screen-windows-10-technical-preview-build-9926

Not tried it myself but I'd be interested to see if anyone has.

Back