Windows 10 Windows 10 Insider Preview

New update for build 9926:
Microsoft has rolled out an update for Windows 10 build 9926 (KB3035129), which offers a collection of improvements to the operating system. The update adds various reliability improvements, and fixes various issues throughout the operating system. Build 9926 is currently available for participants of the Windows Insider Program. Here is the complete change log of this update, which is available right now via Windows Update:

• Reliability improvements for virtual machine live migrations.
  • Reliability improvements to prevent some system crashes in SettingsSyncHost.exe.
  • Reliability improvements to prevent possible data corruption.
  • Increased power efficiency to extend battery life.
  • A fix for an issue that prevents the new Store (Beta) from appearing on the taskbar.
  • A fix for an issue that could cause users to remain at the 'Please Wait' screen when attempting to sign in with a Smart Card connected.
  • A fix for an issue that could cause virtual machines (VMs) to lose connectivity to virtual hard drives (VHDs).
  • A fix for an issue that could cause error 0x8E5E05E2 when installing apps.
  • A fix for an issue that could cause a delay when opening a new tab in Internet Explorer.
  • A fix for an issue that could cause the system to fail to resume from sleep when connected to multiple monitors with some graphics drivers.
  • A fix for an issue that could cause the Start Menu to be improperly registered and fail to launch.
  • A fix for an issue that prevents launching XBOX Live enabled games that require sign-in, and would incorrectly result in the message, 'To use this app, you need to sign in with the Microsoft account that was used to download it.'
  • A fix for an issue that could present the user with the incorrect End-User License Agreement (EULA) during upgrade.
On a different note, this update, once installed, apparently triggers a false alarm allowing participants to see the availability of a new build. Depending on which ring you select (Fast or Slow), participants are able to see build 9932 or 9931, but are unable to download it successfully.

Rumours on a new build are false unfortunately:

Is Microsoft planning to release a new build shortly? According to Microsoft's Gabe Aul, the answer is no. In fact, this was an accident -- you weren't meant to see this (at least not yet we hope). When a new build becomes available, we will let you know -- as always!
Reference:
http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows...update-which-includes-collection-improvements

I decided to post a note to Microsoft about a possible proxy issue with their new browser when this popped up... got a giggle because apparently this (current build with bells and whistles) version of ie isn't allowed because it's not above ie5.
Screenshot (3).png

So these guys want me to put them in charge of making sure Windows stays up to date because they can't trust me to do it myself?

Not everyone had a smooth transition to new dirrectx … surprisingly the hyper-v build had the most glitches.

1. The disappearing tools screen.
Screenshot (23).png

Workaround was to move the task bar to the side then back again.
Screenshot (24).png

2. Bloody minded notice popup… I had to reboot to get rid of this bastard as Microsoft decided to put it on the top screen, making even task manager unable to remove it… terrific design decision that one.
Screenshot (27).png

I decided to post a note to Microsoft about a possible proxy issue with their new browser when this popped up... got a giggle because apparently this (current build with bells and whistles) version of ie isn't allowed because it's not above ie5.

So these guys want me to put them in charge of making sure Windows stays up to date because they can't trust me to do it myself?

That's interesting!!
What steps did you take to arrive at that message. Obviously you are in IE. I presumed it was in IE Feedback(?) on the Hub. Just for the heck of it, I went into that section using chrome and then IE, but couldn't raise that response.

Ok. Found it by using the address you show. I was still unable to get the message, using IE, but was redirected to the standard Beta update in Settings. Using Chrome, I got the message immediately. Maybe something to do with you use of a proxy?

Last edited:
I'm looking for a benchmark that will run on this build and windows 7, if anyone knows of one (willing to pay for it but free is nice) please post a link?

I installed it physically (last night) onto an old game machine based around a GA-78LMT-S2P with amd 3.2 chip + 8g ram… literary had the parts stuffed in a cupboard but in fairness, most the issues posted so far have just been glitches and it boots fast on the 120g ssd I gave it.

p.s. I see what kemical was talking about with twins now... its strange to get that effect without hyper-v... not a stress.

That's interesting!!
What steps did you take to arrive at that message.
snip...
I went into that section using chrome and then IE, but couldn't raise that response.

Sorry davehc,

I just re-read your first post and the faulty page wasn’t connected to the ie feedback page.

From memory, I was looking for info on "directx" and clicked a link pointing to Microsoft… that link or the dns at the other end must have sent me to one of the download pages. I suspect the pages browser detect script needs updating but I don’t work for them and have no real input into how their public server works… as I said above it just gave me a giggle to see that Microsoft doesn’t always detect their own product on their own website.

I installed it physically (last night) onto an old game machine based around a GA-78LMT-S2P with amd 3.2 chip + 8g ram… literary had the parts stuffed in a cupboard but in fairness, most the issues posted so far have just been glitches and it boots fast on the 120g ssd I gave it.

Update: I've removed it again because the system can't play any of my gog games... making it worthless to me.
I assume the "ATI Radeon HD 4800" doesn't care for direct x 12 but thats not tested... perhaps the next build will be better?

AMD start work on Preview specific drivers...
“My team at AMD is on the front-lines of this issue and we are working closely with Microsoft to deliver a fix. We have identified the root cause and we have built a candidate driver, which is currently being tested. We will keep you posted on progress. Thank you for your patience as we get the fix tested and rolled out.” – Pete Levinthal, Director of Software Engineering, AMD
ref:
http://www.winbeta.org/news/amd-internally-testing-new-windows-10-preview-graphics-drivers

I hope Nvidia are doing similar!

Interesting that Microsoft claims they consoled (for years!) closely with the vendors when building direct x 12 yet AMD is one of the major G-chip makers and they had to play catch up from release day one?

I like Microsoft… they are the leading edge when it comes to networking systems but why reinvent the “graptics-card” wheel when AMD and Nvidia already have decades of experience at giving gamers a better deal.

Kemical, your link seems to imply the AMD drivers are not working because the cards are not being recognized correctly. Maybe this is because the OS version went to 10 in 9926 and those drivers could not accept that designation. I had a network adapter in earlier builds which was not recognized and I had to use the setup file to install those drivers. I don't know if the AMD video card situation would work in the same manner.

Nvidia released a new driver the day 9926 was released and it installed without the Blue Screens from the earlier builds. My Z87 (2 GTX 680s) install seems to be working fine but the X99 with triple monitors (2 GTX 980s) will freeze the system after a period of time requiring a power off and restart.

ussnorway, I still do not understand why you bring up DirectX 12, any chance you could explain why you think it is relevant?

Kemical, your link seems to imply the AMD drivers are not working because the cards are not being recognized correctly. Maybe this is because the OS version went to 10 in 9926 and those drivers could not accept that designation. I had a network adapter in earlier builds which was not recognized and I had to use the setup file to install those drivers. I don't know if the AMD video card situation would work in the same manner.
It could be down to the kernel moving to a 10 although they don't say apart from that they've 'identified the problem'...

Nvidia released a new driver the day 9926 was released and it installed without the Blue Screens from the earlier builds. My Z87 (2 GTX 680s) install seems to be working fine but the X99 with triple monitors (2 GTX 980s) will freeze the system after a period of time requiring a power off and restart.
That driver release was primarily for the new GTX 960 and the game Dying Light. If you check the changelog Windows 10 isn't mentioned even in the 'this driver is for Windows xp,Vista 7, 8, 8.1' and so on.
Saying that though I've been running the above driver and playing Dying Light (which is an awesome game) and it's been running fine for the most part. I've had one or two 'Driver not responding' events but as this os is in beta I let it go. It's not like it's a regular thing anyway.

Just my opinion on DX12, anyone lucky enough to already own a Fermi or GCN based graphics card will benefit once it becomes more mainstream. Like AMD's Mantle it allows the loading to be spread across all the cpu cores. ( as well as many other perks) Indeed playing Dying Light I see the game spread across all my CPU's eight cores.
cores_zps6d67ff40.jpg

Apparently other AMD users not running Windows 10 are seeing Core 0 being loaded and that's it.
http://wccftech.com/dx12-revealed-compared-dx11/

It could be down to the kernel moving to a 10 although they don't say apart from that they've 'identified the problem'...

That driver release was primarily for the new GTX 960 and the game Dying Light. If you check the changelog Windows 10 isn't mentioned even in the 'this driver is for Windows xp,Vista 7, 8, 8.1' and so on.
I tried to load the earlier Nvidia drivers and they would not load. But it might have been because one of the updates was keeping them from doing so.

Saying that though I've been running the above driver and playing Dying Light (which is an awesome game) and it's been running fine for the most part. I've had one or two 'Driver not responding' events but as this os is in beta I let it go. It's not like it's a regular thing anyway.

Just my opinion on DX12, anyone lucky enough to already own a Fermi or GCN based graphics card will benefit once it becomes more mainstream. Like AMD's Mantle it allows the loading to be spread across all the cpu cores. ( as well as many other perks) Indeed playing Dying Light I see the game spread across all my CPU's eight cores.
Sounds interesting and I will probably try the game later. But is the multi-core just the way the game is written and not yet related to DX 12? Maybe trying the game in Windows 8 also will show some differences...

I have not yet seen anything I can use to check my cards with DX 12, so if you see anything, please let us know. Maybe some of the problems I am seeing could be related to the cards being DX 12 capable. But I do remember previously seeing freezes in Windows 7 and 8 with early drivers.

But is the multi-core just the way the game is written and not yet related to DX 12? Maybe trying the game in Windows 8 also will show some differences...
The reason I started looking into this 'issue' is because some AMD cpu users were complaining about how the game was only using one core. Core 0. I assume none of these users were running on Windows 10 so maybe Win 7 or 8. I only checked to see if mine was doing the same and as you can see above it clearly isn't. I cannot say for certain whether this down to the Dx12 API or Windows 10 as a whole but something seems to be going on which is different to other os users.

With the exception of the Recycle Bin Icon those Icons in that screen shot look remarkably similar to the ones I'm currently seeing in 9926.
Capture.PNG

My bitch with direct x 12 is simply that it doesn’t have the old files needed to run games designed for earlier direct X (pick a number between 7 and 10) so these games will give back a file such and such is missing error and you have to go hunting them… which then creates a problem because those old installers don’t detect windows 10.

That some AMD, G-force etc cards have issues is fair enough imo because Microsoft doesn’t own these companies and this is just a beta release… they will no doubt have drivers by the time (more likely soon after) the final release comes out.

Back