Windows 10 Windows 10 Insider Preview

I'd hold off on the delete just yet... not that I'm sad to see the back of this build but it does look like Microsoft is holding up their end i.e. improvements are starting to filter in.

Nothing has been confirmed, as far as I know. The (Microsoft) - Aub) guy in charge has gone away for a few days. I am thinking that it could be, at the earliest, next Tuesday, but I am not holding my breath. I have cleared out as I have no further things to play with on the present Beta.

All I want from a new build is windows updates not trying every day to alter my gpu drivers. Is getting a tad annoying.

New hardware earns Windows 10 support:
Windows 10 introduces support for USB Dual Role and Type-C, which will enable new wired connectivity scenarios such a phone interacting with USB peripherals, or laptops connecting to an external display using the USB Type-C connector. This session will go into detail on how Windows supports these technologies and what you need to do to enable them
ref:
http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows-10-adds-more-hardware-support-its-list-usb-31-type-c

The new specification allows for 10 Gbps speeds and USB Power Delivery up to 100W. The design of the Type-C connector is 'entirely new' which isn't great for backwards compatibility, but is great for a better reversible plug design! The Type-C also enables full scalable power charging and is designed for future USB performance needs. Mechanical specs are as follows:

• Receptacle opening: ~8.4mm x ~2.6mm
  • Durability: 10,000 cycles
  • Improved EMI- and RFI-mitigation features
  • Power delivery capacity: 3A for standard cables and 5A for connectors
ref:
http://www.winbeta.org/news/usb-30-...ve-specs-features-reversible-plug-orientation

Do we need a phone that plugs into the usb on our laptop?

I know I'd buy one but prob wouldn't use it much...

Do we need a phone that plugs into the usb on our laptop?

I know I'd buy one but prob wouldn't use it much...

There is a stand alone device that all ready does that....it's called "Magic Jack" ....and it works as advertised as I had one.

But this isn't about that, it's about using it for high speed data transfer between PC and Mobile devices. Also the usb 3.0 spec for charging phones quickly at 3A or 5A

We could discuss the claimed current availability on the 3.1 systems. Since USB 3.0 will supply 900 mA and 1.5 amps for special charging ports, 3 A and 5 A would seem to be a little high, but they may be looking at powering external devices without needing special power adapters for those devices.

But today I was playing around with my new iPhone 6 since it seemed to be charging very slowly when on a USB port. And it seems the current used to charge it is restricted substantially, possibly limited to 150 mA. Maybe because of battery powered devices will have problems providing high current rates for charging other devices, not really sure.

What I am wondering is how much money is being thrown at the USB 3.1 release. Bioses are being updated, drivers have been released and some manufacturers are talking about releasing add-in cards for 3.1 This seems like a lot of publicity over something which has no current devices being sold to use the protocol. Maybe Thunderbolt is gaining some ground on USB and they are trying to divert attention away from that protocol.

It would also be nice if they started using somewhat realistic numbers in the advertising. Giving some theoretical number which turns out to be 5 times faster than the real world numbers seems to be a deceptive practice, at the least.

Storm in a teacup imo... I can't see a laptop charge working for phones unless it is on power and then why not just plug the phone into the power and cut out the laptop? I sometimes see these ideas and have the feeling the focks at Microsoft don't get outside (i.e in the real world) much.

Looks like a build won't be coming along this week according to WinBeta.com:

10.JPG

ref:
http://www.winbeta.org/news/no-new-windows-10-build-desktops-february-microsoft-still-working-it

We could discuss the claimed current availability on the 3.1 systems. Since USB 3.0 will supply 900 mA and 1.5 amps for special charging ports, 3 A and 5 A would seem to be a little high, but they may be looking at powering external devices without needing special power adapters for those devices.

But today I was playing around with my new iPhone 6 since it seemed to be charging very slowly when on a USB port. And it seems the current used to charge it is restricted substantially, possibly limited to 150 mA. Maybe because of battery powered devices will have problems providing high current rates for charging other devices, not really sure.

What I am wondering is how much money is being thrown at the USB 3.1 release. Bioses are being updated, drivers have been released and some manufacturers are talking about releasing add-in cards for 3.1 This seems like a lot of publicity over something which has no current devices being sold to use the protocol. Maybe Thunderbolt is gaining some ground on USB and they are trying to divert attention away from that protocol.

It would also be nice if they started using somewhat realistic numbers in the advertising. Giving some theoretical number which turns out to be 5 times faster than the real world numbers seems to be a deceptive practice, at the least.

My current mobo supports the 3A/5A charging.

Utterly bored with the whole concept of Windows 10 Technical Preview at this point.
Starting to regret ever switching over.
You see these bits and pieces regarding "new builds" but nothing to actually try. Water, water everywhere.
I was certainly hoping for a bit more hands on opportunities when this started and am now sorely disappointed with the hurry up and wait.

I agree, trouble. I have actually removed it from thwe laptop I use for testing, but only in anticipation of the next build. I will move on, when it is finalised, but mainly for the sheep mentality of keeping up with the pack. At this stage, for me anyway, the advantages are so small over Windows 8.1, that it is, as you say - boring!
My main hobby(?) is roaming forums and offering help where I am able, or joining in good discussions.(currently with Windows 10). For some weeks now I have found this to be approx 95% repetitive.
Almost Purely as a result of Windows 10 builds, I am even considering taking up reading and watching TV as a better alternative - lol.

I find it strange that with Windows 7 there were constant leaked builds that MS obviously knew about but with windows 8 and 10 they've used a heavy hand. I think they monitored the comments on Windows 7 closer than they have on Windows 8 and 10.
Joe

I'm still using Build 9926 but I've also had a new game to take my mind off Windows 10 so it's not really bothered me so much about the delayed release. Something new would be nice tho....

Task View in the most recent public build of Windows 10 works fine, but is somewhat confusing to a number of users. Task View seems to display your open windows on all desktops, even if the window that’s open is on a completely different desktop than the one currently. This isn’t the expected behavior of a multi-desktop tool, and it appears Microsoft understands that.
ref:
http://www.winbeta.org/news/upcoming-windows-10-desktop-build-include-improved-task-view-behavior

Something that i turn off as soon as the os is installed is Task View. I'm not sure any changes would change my mind but it obviously depends on what they are..

Back