Windows 10 Windows 10 successes

davehc

Essential Member
Premium Supporter
It is natural, that, on forums where users are exchanging info on there progress, that the majority would be seeking help.
I am a little surprised. scanning this forum and several others, at the outstanding rate of failures and problems.
To date, I have helped my adult children and spouses, five in all, and seven "no longer young" acquaintances, through the process of moving up from earlier OSs. The success rate has been 100%. To date, there has been no comeback.
In anticipation, I would say my computer knowledge could be better than the common user, but no tricks or prior knowledge was applied.
My oldest, a seventeen year old, I insisted that she did it herself. Again, no problems.
Where it was possible, I asked the family to reinstall the originals, without too much clutter. This could well have been the magic. No reg hacks, no malware etc etc.
I was pessimistic through the testing process, as successive builds did have a tendency to get rid of one bug, yet create another. But I have to bow to MS on this. There do seem, for some, unaccountable problems. Hopefully MS are on to these.
Maybe some of you other guys could support me on this and confirm hassle free upgrades?

I suspect you are correct. I chose to try and upgrade my daily driver as is and to make a long story short after an upgrade with issues, a failed attempt to go back to Windows 8.1 and subsequent re-upgrade with new and different issues. I decided to do a refresh keeping only my data and dumping the software.

It's still early on but it looks like 3rd times a charm.

Hi Dave,

Always good to hear from other folks attempting the wx upgrades and installs. I have one to report, and that's my main laptop, a Sony Vaio VGN-FW139E laptop, a Dual Core processor 4GB RAM, built 2008. It allowed me to do the wx upgrade through the flag reserve icon in the system tray from I reserved from a couple of months ago on the release date of July 29th. I am also a Insider Tester fyi, but, I did not install a wx TP onto this laptop. I used a separate Dell Dimension E520 desktop (built 2008) for all my TP installs. SUCCESS #1! :D

The Vaio laptop update went very smoothly, and was done in a couple of hours on my 6MBPS verizon dsl connection. I had a couple of driver issues reported in driver manager, but didn't seem to affect audio, video, network, or normal internet browser operation. I did update the Mobo BIOS to latest on Sony website earlier this year when I installed a new SSD 120GB drive into that laptop. I use this laptop for movie watching on my TV and almost always take it with me to customer sites. So far both Netflix, YouTube, & Facebook streaming videos all work great! I have had it out on 1 customer call last week, since the wx upgrade; which was a wireless router and network installation. Laptop wifi and ethernet connections both worked perfectly with wx at my customer's newly upgraded network no problems at all. :)

I'm very pleased with Win10 Home so far, and have been a tester since last Sep. 2014. I have had some issues with upgrading my Vista-era machines, I haven't tried yet with XP, as I could only get TP installed onto 1 XP-era machine built in 2006. I won't go further into that, as you just asked for reported successes. I'll deal with those on separate posts.

Best,
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

I've never liked upgrades so I always go straight for a clean install. I actually have full Win 10 Pro licenses sooo yeah I cheated :)

Where it was possible, I asked the family to reinstall the originals, without too much clutter. This could well have been the magic. No reg hacks, no malware etc etc.
What do you mean by reinstall the originals? Do you mean factory restore as when purchased without any of your programs installed and no accumulated updates?

Clean install from their legit original DVDs/USBs-- whatever. - No OEMs have so far been involved.

I am with you on the WX is a solid system... I've yet to come across a computer that I can't get it installed on and thats pretty much all I've been doing this week and last.
The success of WX as an upgrade isn't down to Microsoft but in spite of them... yes they released the media tool (thank god they did) but thats the only support I've seen them offer for a flag-ship product they want the entire world to be using?

Back