Windows 10 Windows 10 update makes text transparent

stymied

A windows 10 system automatically updated this morning.
Home screen shows all icons as usual, but not textual descriptions.
Outlook toolbars are fine, but mail dates, sender/receiver, subject, text, etc. are missing. Mails can be opened, but appear with all fields blank.
Now all text in Spybot Search and Destroy and Ccleaner doesn't display, but programmes still work by knowing which buttons to press (or seeing it on this system, carefully not updated, then copying the moves on the problem system).
The Bullguard window appears as a mere shadow of the top of its window.
Is there a solution (e.g. a setting) other than attempt to guess where on a screen full of blanks to click to uninstall latest updates?

Last edited:
My first guess is that the text colour has been changed to be equal/similar to the background colour, Try highlighting all items and see if the text shows then.

A windows 10 system automatically updated this morning.
Home screen shows all icons as usual, but not textual descriptions.
Outlook toolbars are fine, but mail dates, sender/receiver, subject, text, etc. are missing. Mails can be opened, but appear with all fields blank.
Now all text in Spybot Search and Destroy and Ccleaner doesn't display, but programmes still work by knowing which buttons to press (or seeing it on this system, carefully not updated, then copying the moves on the problem system).
The Bullguard window appears as a mere shadow of the top of its window.
Is there a solution (e.g. a setting) other than attempt to guess where on a screen full of blanks to click to uninstall latest updates?
Could you, please, tell us what win10 update exactly are you talking about? You can find it in the updates history.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

My first guess is that the text colour has been changed to be equal/similar to the background colour, Try highlighting all items and see if the text shows then.
All backgrounds. On the home screen there is a picture and the icons spread over that, but no text underneath each icon. You couldn't specify multicoloured text to match the background.

Is Spybot up-to-date?
It's not just Spybot, it's every application. Icons and menu bars are fine. All other text is blank. I ran Ccleaner only by knowing that this coloured block was "continue" and that coloured block was "cancel", etc.

Could you, please, tell us what win10 update exactly are you talking about? You can find it in the updates history.

Even if I knew how to look at the updates history, I wouldn't find out because all the textt would appear as blank. Whichever updates were released by MS in the last 24 hours, I suppose, sincee updates are automatic.

Sorry about my previous reply. I just went to update history and it worked!
"2019-11 Cumulative Update for indows 10 Version 1903 for x64-based Systems (KB4524570)"
"Successsfully installed on 12/11/2019"

Also:
"Security Intelligence Update for Windows Defender Antivirus - KB2267602 (Version 1.305.1891.0)
Failed to instaall on 11/11/2019 - 0x80240017"
"Windows Malicious SoftwareRemoval Tool x64 - November 2019 9KB890830)
Successfully installed on 12/11/2019"

Sorry about my previous reply. I just went to update history and it worked!
"2019-11 Cumulative Update for indows 10 Version 1903 for x64-based Systems (KB4524570)"
"Successsfully installed on 12/11/2019"

Also:
"Security Intelligence Update for Windows Defender Antivirus - KB2267602 (Version 1.305.1891.0)
Failed to instaall on 11/11/2019 - 0x80240017"
"Windows Malicious SoftwareRemoval Tool x64 - November 2019 9KB890830)
Successfully installed on 12/11/2019"
Thank you for the info. Have you tried to uninstall the update? I'm not sure it is possible, but you could check. If it is not possible, then you can try a system restore to the last restore point before the date when the last update was done (if you have system restore enabled, of course).

I checked now, both my laptop and my desktop did not get yet those updates. I think I'll pause the updates for a week.

I checked now, both my laptop and my desktop did not get yet those updates. I think I'll pause the updates for a week.

Might be wise to pause rather than rushing into the upate, as you say. I'll see whether the uninstall is in one of those apps. that actually get text to the screen. Thanks for that suggestion. I'll try it in the morning and report back. Not sure if restore enabled, but if the info's in the settings app, which bizarrely seems to display text OK, it may be a last resort fallback. Thanks gin.

Tied up yesterday. Tried again this morning.
Couldn't get beyond date/time to the logon screen.
In time-honoured fashion, powered off, powered back on and it's all working fine. I assume that Microsoft realised its error(s) and put out an automatic additional update or two to fix it(them) with no acknowledgement that the problem existed or apology for any inconvenience. I wish I'd taken screenprints! Now I might risk allowing updates on this system.

Back