Windows 64 explorer crashes on right click ... sp1

docweathers

Honorable Member
For years Windows explorer has worked fine. Now when I right click it crashes. Can I reinstall it?

Mike

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
You may have corruption on your system. Or even worse, some kind of malware or virus. What I suggest that you do first, is to run the System File Integrity Checker.

See video here:

Let me know if this works for you.

docweathers

Honorable Member
As you advised, I used SFC and it found no errors.
I found a simple work around. I just put a copy of explorer.exe from another computer in my documents directory and it works fine, That will do until I upgrade to Windows 10...after it is out a while.

Thanks for your help.

Mike

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Try chkdsk /f see if there are errors in the system log. Could be hard disk corruption if explorer went corrupt like that. Very strange doc.

docweathers

Honorable Member
Did that. Came up clean.

W4OED

In my case, right clicking on a file or folder on the right pane of Windows Explorer produced the context menu, as expected. However, doing so on the left pane caused WE to reset.

The culprit was a plugin in SpyBot Search and Destroy (Advanced Tools > System Integration > Windows Explorer Integration (64 bit)). Once I uninstalled it, WE started to behave correctly on both panes.

docweathers

Honorable Member
I finally solve this under Windows 7 by moving a second copy of explorer.exe to a different directory and using that. Why that should work I have no clue. I'm now using Windows 10, oh whoa, and explore is not a problem

thanks for the advice

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.