Windows 7 Windows 7 Beta - Internet Connection

ljcap

Hi All,

Having a problem with the new Windows 7 beta (32 bit) and internet/network connection.

Windows 7 beta successfully installed (upgrade, not clean install).
Toshiba Satellite Laptop A200
Dynalink RTA1046VW Wireless Router

I'm hoping the problem is just something very simple that I have overlooked. Windows 7 recognizes the wireless router and also sees the connection (home network). However, I can not seem to connect to anything.

With Internet Explorer - Connecting (but doesn't seem to do anything)
With Mozilla Thunderbird - Loading message (green bar scrolls but doesn't do anything)

The bar down the bottom right say's I am connected with Local and Internet Access.

Have I missed something very simple?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Laurie

In addition to what I have written;

I am using Zone Alarm AntiVirus software
I have also noticed that when I connect my iPhone 3G to the laptop nothing happens.

Cheers
Laurie

^connecting an APPLE Iphone to a windows PC?

no doubt I would consider a driver to be *required.
especially with a beta version....

Did you ever figure anything out with this? I have the same problem and have had no luck! Frustrating.

Still no luck. I understand that once I get the internet connection it will be able to install most drivers (ie. iPhone, printers, etc). I should re-word it as I do get internet connection but just can't seem to open anything in IE8 or Thunderbird, or anything else that connects to the internet. In other words, I have all the drivers installed to connect but just doesn't seem to want to connect at the last hurdle.

Windows 7 'Help' doesn't know what is wrong either. I had a connection during the install but lost it once Windows 7 was installed.

Will be very grateful if someone figures this out.

Cheers
Laurie

ZoneAlarm is known for causing more harm than it does good when it comes to computers. I would try and disable the antivirus and see if that fixes the problem. If not then disable whatever firewall you use.

I have ZoneAlarm FW & AV. I had been disabling the ZA client as a first step after booting each time. However, it appears that I needed to just uninstall. The "True Vector" Service that's part of ZA appears to be the culprit. After uninstalling, both my local ethernet adapter and wireless adapter get me to the internet. All is ok for the moment, just need the 5 hours of troubleshooting back. Hope that helps, Ben

Zone alarm is definately the culprit. I've read that ZA 7.0.470 will work though I haven't tried it yet

Exact problem here..
I got connected for a day,then it wouldnt connect,even though it said im connected to internet.

but I played CS and it connects to the server and was able to play with people online,so kinda strange here. Hoping there will be solution out soon.!!

That did the trick, took ZA off the computer and it logged in straight away. Now to work on my other computer which I did a fresh install on. Hopefully, this one is just a driver problem.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Edit: Everything is now working fine except that it doesn't see the iPhone 3G. I hear a sound when I plug it in but nothing else.

I have done a clean install on one of my desktop computers (Acer Aspire M1610) and it doesn't recognise the Ethernet Controller. Have tried locating it on the Acer website and others with no luck, this one has me stumped.

Cheers
Laurie

iPhone now working, helps when you look at the Device Manager and uninstall the driver and reboot.

Still no luck with the desktop computer. Just can't find the correct driver for the ethernet controller.

Cheers
Laurie

Last edited:
internet connectivity issue

hi,
i have installed succesfully windows 7 beta version.
even in device manager it shows that the wireless network drivers are ok and still i am not able to connect to internet with my wirelss card nor through the wired ethernet cable also.
if any one has any answer to it let me know.
thanks..

hi,
i have installed succesfully windows 7 beta version.
even in device manager it shows that the wireless network drivers are ok and still i am not able to connect to internet with my wirelss card nor through the wired ethernet cable also.
if any one has any answer to it let me know.
thanks..

Exact problem, I am just hoping there is some solution for us soon.

I had the same problem and after uninstalling ZoneAlarm AntiVirus Software and rebooting all was fixed. It's a possibility that your AntiVirus software is stopping you from connecting to the internet.

I have now installed Kaspersky AntiVirus 8.0 Technical Review for Windows 7 (free) in place of ZoneAlarm.

Let me know how you go?

Cheers
Laurie

I had the same problem and after uninstalling ZoneAlarm AntiVirus Software and rebooting all was fixed. It's a possibility that your AntiVirus software is stopping you from connecting to the internet.

I have now installed Kaspersky AntiVirus 8.0 Technical Review for Windows 7 (free) in place of ZoneAlarm.

Let me know how you go?

Cheers
Laurie

Well, After i first installed beta7, I could go on to internet with no problem whatsever,but then after a day or two, I dont know what I had installed that had this problem. I installed ESET Business edition. Maybe the anti virus ? I am not sure. but after I saw this post, I went uninstalled the ESET and disable the firewall,but no luck.so I hope to hear more opinions.!

One option might be to do a System Restore back to the point just after you installed Windows 7 beta. Then re-install the software you have loaded and keep checking to see if you have an internet connection after each install. I would be quite certain that one of the programs that you have installed is causing the problem.

Cheers
Laurie

One option might be to do a System Restore back to the point just after you installed Windows 7 beta. Then re-install the software you have loaded and keep checking to see if you have an internet connection after each install. I would be quite certain that one of the programs that you have installed is causing the problem.

Cheers
Laurie

But the worse is that the last restore point is just RIGHT AFTER I installed the ESET,I think its a little late?? to do system restore?

Bummer.....

I'm afraid I don't have any other ideas. I know when I finally got my intrenet connection, Microsoft recommended 3 different AntiVirus programs, Kaspersky, Nortons and Avast (I think). I chose Kaspersky as it was free for Windows 7. There's a bit of talk at the moment with regards to antivirus software and Windows 7 if you do a Google search.

I'm still struggling with my desktop computer in which I did a clean install. It won't connect to the computer as it can't find my ethernet controller. I've emailed Acer but haven't had a reply with regards to the name of the controller. I'm thinking of reinstalling Windows 7 again to see if that might help.

Did you do a clean install or an upgrade?

Cheers
Laurie

Bummer.....

I'm afraid I don't have any other ideas. I know when I finally got my intrenet connection, Microsoft recommended 3 different AntiVirus programs, Kaspersky, Nortons and Avast (I think). I chose Kaspersky as it was free for Windows 7. There's a bit of talk at the moment with regards to antivirus software and Windows 7 if you do a Google search.

I'm still struggling with my desktop computer in which I did a clean install. It won't connect to the computer as it can't find my ethernet controller. I've emailed Acer but haven't had a reply with regards to the name of the controller. I'm thinking of reinstalling Windows 7 again to see if that might help.

Did you do a clean install or an upgrade?

Cheers
Laurie

See,I had the idea to reinstall windows 7 again.but then when I tried to install Daemon tool, It just kept on telling me to restarrt my computer and i can never end the installing progress. I dont know what to do,and i might just backup my files on external hard drive and install XP or back to vista instead.

Back
Top Bottom