Windows 7 Windows 7 Beta - Internet Connection

I'm just reading from another forum and the following AntiVirus software seem to work with Windows 7;

Avira Free
AVG Free
Norton AV 2009 (seems to hang)
Avast
Kaspersky
Eset's NOD32 Smart Security Suite

What doesn't work;

Zone Alarm

Something that somebody mentioned about another AV software was that they had to right click and then choose TroubleShoot Compatibilty and select Vista.

Cheers
Laurie

I would start uninstalling one program at a time and reboot after each one. I would start with anything that has to do with a firewall, antispam or antivirus. I would also check the windows firewall and disable it if it's on. I would then check which services are running and do a google of each one thats not a MS service. You can also go to msconfig and uncheck all startup items and reboot. see if you can connect then. If you can, start adding one back with each restart. You might find the culprit that way

I would start uninstalling one program at a time and reboot after each one. I would start with anything that has to do with a firewall, antispam or antivirus. I would also check the windows firewall and disable it if it's on. I would then check which services are running and do a google of each one thats not a MS service. You can also go to msconfig and uncheck all startup items and reboot. see if you can connect then. If you can, start adding one back with each restart. You might find the culprit that way

I will try uncheck everything on startup list.
but yeah, I will try delete every singles apps,just to see if that would turn back,cuz it feels like the beta 7 is still better than vista.

Man.Not working.!...

Last edited:
At a command promp type; PING GOOGLE.COM Do you get a TTL=return value If yes, That's a good start.
Make sure that you are letting windows configure an IP address automatically
Check that your DNS entries are properly entered.
Bypass your router (if any) and connect directly to your modem.

Post your results

Any hardware you have installed since you last had internet connection? Something maybe conflicting. Any conflicts in Device Manager?

Any old antivirus software somewhere on your computer? If you did an upgrade there might be something in windows.old

Sorry, I'm running out of ideas here.

At a command promp type; PING GOOGLE.COM Do you get a TTL=return value If yes, That's a good start.
Make sure that you are letting windows configure an IP address automatically
Check that your DNS entries are properly entered.
Bypass your router (if any) and connect directly to your modem.

Post your results

No good..yeahh...

Any hardware you have installed since you last had internet connection? Something maybe conflicting. Any conflicts in Device Manager?

Any old antivirus software somewhere on your computer? If you did an upgrade there might be something in windows.old

Sorry, I'm running out of ideas here.

well, I deleted that whole file cuz i didnt like what i saw there...

9:17p.m. I installed Firefox and its working,but not IE and MSN messenger. I guess it has something to do with the proxy setting??

Ok! I figured it all out.! it was the firewall problem.! even thou i turned it off,the features was still stuck in there.finally.!

Last edited:
hey guys, i was having a similar problem. for the first few days with windows 7 my internet was working fine. Then all of a sudden my internet explorer, and anything else with a browswer stopped working. everything except for firefox. i thought it was firefox at first, but when i deleted that it did nothing. anyway while i was playing around in internet options, i found something.

Under the connections tab if you select lan settings. there are some boxes in there. Under proxy server i checked the boxes Use a proxy server for your LAN and Bypass proxy server for local addresses. Voila, everything works again like butter.

I had this problem for a while, finally got it fixed, it was very frustrating. anyway i hope this helps

edit:
something else to note... after this change i was trying to stream a divx file and firefox was crashing. i have since gone back into my internet settings and unchecked the boxes, and now firefox works again as it should, and everything else seems to still be working fine as well.. strange

Last edited:
hey guys, i was having a similar problem. for the first few days with windows 7 my internet was working fine. Then all of a sudden my internet explorer, and anything else with a browswer stopped working. everything except for firefox. i thought it was firefox at first, but when i deleted that it did nothing. anyway while i was playing around in internet options, i found something.

Under the connections tab if you select lan settings. there are some boxes in there. Under proxy server i checked the boxes Use a proxy server for your LAN and Bypass proxy server for local addresses. Voila, everything works again like butter.

I had this problem for a while, finally got it fixed, it was very frustrating. anyway i hope this helps

edit:
something else to note... after this change i was trying to stream a divx file and firefox was crashing. i have since gone back into my internet settings and unchecked the boxes, and now firefox works again as it should, and everything else seems to still be working fine as well.. strange

See. I found an article online,doing all that proxy setting on Internet option. I did it, but it didnt work,until when I finally playing around the computer and found out there is something with the firewall,then I fixed it.
I did . 1.Window Firewall with Advanced Security 2. Saw inbound connection do not match a rule are allowed. 3. Window Firewall Properties.4.allow on inbound and everything. By the way, I have no idea how It was blocked after few days of usage. and turning firewall off wont help,gotta turn everything to allow the connection to be in.
yeah.it was stupid...just a few simple click

I also am having network connection problems. I have a wired connection to a Linksys router and to cable modem. I have also tried wired directly to cable modem. Bot setups give me repeated "limited" connectivity. When I run network troubleshooter I always get some kind of error related to failure to contact default gateway or unable to contact default DNS server. If I choose to run fix as administrator the problem is always resolved, but the network drops sometime a few times a night to every 2 or 3 minutes. Like mentioned before it seems videos appear to cause more frequent drops, and so does Media Center trying to download something like an updated guide. I am wondering if it has something to do with the cable modem? If not I am hoping for new drivers soon.

I uninstalled my network card and restarted the computer and let windows reinstall the driver, reset both the router and cable modem and so far I haven't had any problems. I will update if needed.

Back