Windows 7 windows 7 bootup problem

G-Force

hello,

i am running the evaluation copy of windows 7 ultimate build 7100.

i have a problem, everytime i boot up windows. it will go through all the loading screens and then it will go to a black screen where the login screen should be. i figured out that when i push the power button on the computer, the computer will go to sleep and when i turn it back on the login screen will be there and i can get onto my computer fine. it has been a few months and it is getting quite annoying to be doing this everytime i boot up my computer, and it only works 90% of the time.

i have updated my graphics drives and that did not help.

i am running

alienware auror 9700
AMD turion 64 ml40 2.20 GHz
1.5GB RAM
nvidia geforce go 7900gs 256mb

if you could give me any suggestions, i will eventually try reinstalling but if i can find another solution, it would be better ;)

Have you tried to restore the system to an earlier time?

Oh ok...hmm... bummer! What about the copy of 7 your using? Has it been tried on a different machine? If it was a bad burn or crappy download then itmight be that it's the actual disk which is at fault..?

nah. this is straight from BestBuy and I'm using the 64-bit version.

I've done system restore to a date before this problem arose and it is still happening now.

I'll figure this out eventually.

nah. this is straight from BestBuy and I'm using the 64-bit version.

I've done system restore to a date before this problem arose and it is still happening now.

I'll figure this out eventually.
Did you upgrade or do a clean install?

so this answer could be premature as it's only been 2hrs and 5 start ups....

but.....

I used Windows' automatic updates and apparently, there was a driver update for my ATI Radeon HD2400Pro graphics card (yeah, I'm pretty sure it's nothing to brag about since it wasn't even a top notch graphics card when I got my new PC over a year ago).

so far, so good. I haven't had a logon problem.

Back