Windows 7 Windows 7 BSOD on new build

Have you tried running a chkdsk Jesse? You might have a corrupt sector which can produce the type of symptoms your seeing. Whenever I repair someones pc and it's bluescreening for no apparent reason I always start either on the RAM or HDD first because it's usually one or the other! :)

The type of the file system is NTFS.

WARNING! F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
87040 file records processed.
File verification completed.
50 large file records processed.
0 bad file records processed.
2 EA records processed.
44 reparse records processed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
115974 index entries processed.
Index verification completed.
0 unindexed files scanned.
0 unindexed files recovered.
CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)...
87040 file SDs/SIDs processed.
Security descriptor verification completed.
14468 data files processed.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
36847328 USN bytes processed.
Usn Journal verification completed.

looking at your post before it sounds like it's possible you may have a problem hard drive ro "going bad" , I would goto your hard drive manufacturers website and find a drive checking tool and run it for them both ?

looking at your post before it sounds like it's possible you may have a problem hard drive ro "going bad" , I would goto your hard drive manufacturers website and find a drive checking tool and run it for them both ?

My thoughts too..

still crashing

Hello,
I'm still crashing like crazy. I ran the seagate utility from their site(Seatools) and it said both drives were OK.
I did the short drive, long drive, short generic, and long generic test
I ran the memtest with both memory sticks and it passed. I'll have time this week to test them individually.
How many passes should I let it take?
Today when it crashed it paused on the Blue screen and I was able to get this information.
Bad_Pool_Header
Stop: oxoooooo19 (oxoooooo20, oxad878b68, oxad8793co, ox1bobc10b)

does that help at all?

Try running with just one stick of RAM installed, if it seems ok swap the sticks and run again (still with only one stick installed). If you find your pc blue screens on a particular stick then you know it's that one which is faulty..

Is it possible when you built your system that you might have bent a pin on your CPU or possibly got some paste on the pins that might stop them contacting in the socket ?

I am a pretty patient man but I think in your position I would now be stripping the machine back to the bare minimum and running it to find a hardware component that could be faulty ?

I am a pretty patient man but I think in your position I would now be stripping the machine back to the bare minimum and running it to find a hardware component that could be faulty ?

Ditto... Unfortunately problems like this one are a nightmare to pin down (unless your lucky) and it's a process of elimination checking each piece of hardware until it's found.. One quick question though and sorry if it's been asked but if you run in 'safe-mode' do you still get the blue screens?

Good Question,
It has BSOD once in safe mode.

The thing that gets me especially confused is that the BSOD's all happen from a cold start, meaning 12 hours after the computer has been shut down. After a BSOd or 2, I can restart it and it works fine. But I'm constantly worried it could crash at any time.

My Firefox also crashed occasionally, I'm wondering if its a flash driver problem?

Have you tried my suggestion above about running with one stick only?

I ran memtest86 individually for 2 passes last night and no errors.

I bought this computer to be fast and I'll never be satisfied with only 2GB of memory, but I'll give it a try.

Well if you at least try the running with one stick installed and nought comes from it then at least we know the RAM is definitely off the list of possible causes..
Then next you will have try running with a different HDD to again cross it off the list of possibles... This can be difficult if you don't have a spare lying around unless a friend could help out?
If the HDD passes and it still Blue screens then next you'll have to try the graphics and so on until you track this problem down.. My hunch from past experience is that it'll either be the RAM or the HD as either, if faulty, can give the symptoms you've been seeing.

Good Question,
It has BSOD once in safe mode.

The thing that gets me especially confused is that the BSOD's all happen from a cold start, meaning 12 hours after the computer has been shut down. After a BSOd or 2, I can restart it and it works fine. But I'm constantly worried it could crash at any time.

My Firefox also crashed occasionally, I'm wondering if its a flash driver problem?

this would suggest to me either you have a failing Power Supply or your ram or gfx card is not contacting properly and needs re-seating ?

This might be progress.

BSOD first thing today with one mem stick in.

I switched it with the other one and I'm good so far.

Is there a MOBO checking utility I could use to verify if it's my MOBO that's causing me problems?

Is there a MOBO checking utility I could use to verify if it's my MOBO that's causing me problems?

not really as you always need a motherboard power some basic gfx a CPU and some ram to boot as far as bios,

then a form of I/O like usb flash drive or floppy or hard drive to move on to dos or an Operating System ?

running Prime95 under windows stresses CPU and RAM ?

BSOD first thing today with one mem stick in.

I switched it with the other one and I'm good so far.

I would think it's the RAM that's at fault not the board. If it runs ok with one stick but not the other then you know which is the bad stick.. :)

Some board and memory just have problems with one another. On a mates computer we tested everything after getting bsods, it turned out it was the memory so I swapped his with mine. The memory causing him problem runs perfectly stable on mine with the exact same settings that was crashing his. Troubleshooting is never easy and 9 time out of ten it's either faulty memory or a strange incompatibility with the mobo.

Hello,
Fry's exchanged my memory 1 month out of warranty.
Everything is working perfectly.
I should have listened to you sooner.
Bad memory must be common
Thanks for your help

Glad to hear your all fixed up after such a nightmare.. :)

Back
Top Bottom