Windows 7 Windows 7 Checking For Updates stuck forever - I know this is answered, but the solutions don't work

Chewy

I have installed a legit Windows 7 OS on my laptop. Its not an upgrade, it was a blank hard drive. WIndows 7 installed flawlessly, picked up all my drivers. The only problem is I am having problems with Windows 7 updates. When I choose Windows 7 update, it says "Checking for updates" and stays like that - forever. Even the next day. I did heavy heavy research, found out others are having the same problem. I tried all the fixes I could find, which are listed below:
1. No Anti-virus programs installed yet - brand new Windows 7 ultimate installation
2. There is no spyware - its a brand new clean install
3. Firewall shut off
4. Temp files, cookies, history cleared
5. background intelligent transfer service set to automatic in services.msc
6. software distribution folder renamed
7. tried shutting off automatic updates and doing it manually
8. Added windowsupdate to trust zone
9. ran MicrosoftFixit50202 in normal and advanced mode
Even with my internet SHUT OFF (turned off modem) it still checks for updates and doesn't fail with "No internet connection available".

Please, please help. Anyone.

I might suggest a couple of things. First, give it some time to work out its problems. I have read it may take up to 24 hours for Windows upate to even access the servers.

Secondly, make sure wuauserv is running under the services in Task Manager.

Then there are a couple of logs you might check. One is in the Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder named ReportingEvents.log It is a condensed version of the WindowsUpdate.log which is in the Windows folder. If you want, copy and attach a text file of the last day or two of each file. Try to wait for a while if you have been asking it to check for updates very often recently. Maybe something will show up in the files.

Also, your internet connection needs to be stable or else the update process will terminate and wait until later.

For your solution #1: Ok, I will let it run - overnight and into the next day. Seems kind of odd so many others are having this issue too. Especially because when my DSL modem is off, it still checks for updates. You think it would fail at that point.

For your solution #2: wuauserv is NOT running! What is it, and how do I get it to run?

For your solution #3: reportingevents log, when opened, is completely empty. Its a blank text file that is 1kb in size.

Thank you for responding, since your the only one who responded, your my only hope. Don't give up on me now! :)

wuauserv is the Windows update service....see if you can start it using Task Manager or Services. Also the Fixit page you went to has instructions about how to start and stop the services related to update. You might go back there check what services are involved and make sure they are running. If not, try to start them. Just to remind you, these are two:

• net start bits
  • net start wuauserv

Leave the Internet connection on.....most of Windows Update is done at off times.

Last edited:
Ok, ran task manager, went to file & run, and typed wuauserv. It tells me 'Windows cannot find 'wuauserv'. I would like to try to turn this on before doing that whole other section. Can you help me start this service?

Open an administrative command prompt and type in the commands referenced.

net start wuauserv

Or in Task Manager, right click it and select start

Or if that doesn't work, go to services and look for Windows update. Select it and click Restart in the left panel. Also note how it is supposed to start....

If it will not start, something else may be going on.

Attachments

• Wuauserv.GIF
    Wuauserv.GIF
    82.2 KB · Views: 2,061
My apologies. wuauserv was running. I checked the processes tab, when I should have been checking the services tab. Since its already running, I will try that whole other section. I will report back later today. Thanks!

While you are doing that, go ahead and open the WindowsUpdate.log in the Windows folder and copy the last couple of days and attach as a .txt file. It takes a while to go over it.

Oh, and by the way, when I restarted the Windows Update services, it tells me that it can't be restarted. Don't know why... Maybe try from safe mode? Argh.

This isn't working out too well. Net stop bits tells me that the services is not started, net stop wuauserv says System error 5 has occured. Trying to rename folders its giving me access is denied. Sigh... should I continue even though the other steps don't work?

I thought you agreed to leave it alone for a while...............................

The attachment shows some of the errors. Most seem to be caused by your internet connection not being available. It seems Monday night it started getting access and started to catch up. I believe you stated you messed with the SoftwareDistribution folder. When I renamed mine, it took HOURS for the system to catch up. If you run Automatic Updates and start it at 3 am with no internet connection, it will take much longer.

You cannot start a service that is already running......

Notice anything that says FATAL in your log is not good.

Attachments

• wudetails.txt
    1.6 KB · Views: 1,085
I'll throw this in just in case. You do have activeX controls enabled and as far as you know your firewall is not blocking them on the Windows Update site? I have not found a way to check, but when I go to the following site, the Update Window opens. Maybe that means they are working.

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Also there are 4 updates found with the following message about metadata. I do not know if this is because of rebuilding the database after renaming the SoftwareDistribution folder or some other cause. This does indicate the system is trying to work.

Update {28BC880E-0592-4CBF-8F95-C79B17911D5F}.100 has no local extended metadata. Not returning it

Last edited:
Captain Jack (love the name by the way) - I did run both those batch files as administrator. They ran successfully, but still have the problem.

Saltgrass.... Active X is enabled, yes. And as far as the firewall blocking them, I doubt it - I didn't change any firewall settings, so whatever is defaulted.

I started the update again - around 8:00pm. I am leaving it go until tomorrow, again. See what happens. I will check that file you attached as well.

Thank you both for helping so much... we will get this!

Ok, still the same. Left it go until 3:30pm. So basically 18 hours, still checking for updates. I even downloaded Windows 7 SP1, and installed that. Its still checking for updates. Argh.... I hope you guys have more options for me. :(

Where is the attached log??? :)

You are rebooting your machine on a regular basis, right?

If you want and have not already done so, this is where you can get a new version of the Windows update agent.

You guys are awesome for hanging in there with me.... ok, the latest....

Saltgrass--> Where is what attached log? I uploaded the original one to my web server and you commented on it. Do you need another one? And I just now installed that Windows Update Agent. I didn't do it before, but did, and rebooted.

Captain--> I just downloaded and installed that link you gave me as well... just now. Rebooted.

Now its checking for updates again, just started that process. Not sure how long to wait for it to search this time, but probably an hour should be more than enough. What a pain this whole thing is.

What else can we do while this is checking for updates?

Back