Windows 7 windows 7 clean install problems !!!

neil5866

ok... i have a toshiba qosmio G50. windows 7 ultimate 32 bit..... for weeks now i have been posting on forums for help on re installing my windows office .... in the end i was advised to do a clean install. so, this morning after backing up everything i began ..... let me just say , on my comp. i have 4 drives. C Drive is where my operating drive. E drive is the dvd/cd drive . D drive is where i back up everything to. F drive is where i keep all my music/films/photos. i use bitlocker to protect D and F drive.
so, after clean re install of windows 7 , everything as expected has gone , except for my protected D and F drives... but after completion when i click on my C drive it only has 30 gb of space left ? secondly, all my toshiba stuff has gone ... there is only windows 7 stuff showing ??? and thirdly how on earth do i get everything back to my new installation ? a windows.old file was added to the C drive after completion which is 90 GB in size ! i dont know where to start now,,, but i know i do want all my toshiba stuff that came with my comp. back ..... regards.... Neil

When you say you did a clean install do you mean you installed from a Windows dvd? The .old directory indicates that you did not format the drive before installing so all of your old windows system is stored in the old folder. The toshiba should have a recovery drive from which you should be able to boot and recover the qosmio back to factory settings, have yo looked at that option?

hi there.... i,m not by any means a computer wizz, but i know a bit.... yes, i did clean install from the dvd. the toshiba qosmio has a recovery drive. but please tell me how to boot and recover my qosmio back to factory settings.... and can i delete the windows.old file its taken up all my space in C drive ??? cheers

You need to clarify for yourself whether the dvd is a Microsft Windows 7 install disk or a Toshiba recovery disk. Your qosmio should have been supplied with a set of recovery disks and you should boot from these to reinstall both Windows and the drivers which were supplied with your system by Toshiba. This would remove everything on your sysem drive and restore it to the condition in which you bought it.

the disc i used was windows 7 ultimate dvd disc... when i first got the comp. though i did burn 2 discs which are recovery discs.... is it ok for me to delete the .old files ? and if i do use the qosmio discs will it affect my F drive where all my music etc is kept ? surely it wont affect the D drive though as that is a recovery drive ??? i have been going crossed eyed all day trying to find easy step by step guides for what i need to do... watched and read a few but they were mostly for advanced users .... phhh....

Boot from the qosmio disks, they should completely overwrite the contents of your drive C restoring it to as delivered state. It will not affect any other drives.

just one more question before i proceed. when i pop my recovery disc into my comp. there are loads of files ... which one do i click to get it going ??

You should just boot from it insert the disk in the drive and restart - having booted from the Windows disks earlier I guess you already have your qosmio set to boot from the dvd drive.

no... i did not do that.. i just popped the windows disc in after i had already logged in , then clicked on the disc in E drive and found the setup . exe and then followed instructions..

OK - maybe your pc is not set to boot from the dvd. Insert the recovery disak, restart your computer and repeatedly press F12 during startup then follow the intructions to boot recovery disk.

Back
Top Bottom