Windows 8 Windows 7 freezes frequently at Windows starting screen

Hi. I am having a problem with a brand new computer from day one. I ordered a new computer from a reputable manufacturer with an ASUS X99 motherboard, Samsung EVO 850 SSD hard drive, Geforce 980GTX and 16 MB of system memory. After the very first boot which was successful I am experiencing frequent freezes at the windows starting screen, either before the 4 orbs animation begins or during the animation. Only option is to hit power button and reboot. All drivers up to date, tech support has had me disable the "professional" overclock of the CPU (Intel I7 5930 at 3.5) and GPU, do a 5 and 1/2 hour memory check, run sfc /scannow as an administrator, chkdsk on reboot and no errors are found. they are shipping me a new hard drive to try. Any ideas? Have I done everything to ensure it's not a corrupt windows install? Sometimes it boots fine but never consistently. Thanks in advance.

1. why have you posted this in the windows 8 forum... is it a dual boot system?
2. I assume you mean 16gb of system ram... did the shop put this together or did you?
3. why but why would you want to overcloak the cpu and g-card... have you tried running the system at its stated speed?

Last edited:
Well. I mistakenly posted in the windows 8 forum. I reposted in the Windows 7 forum a few minutes later but I do not know how or if I can delete a post. Also yes I did mean 16 GB. As I said in the post I had it shipped from a dealer so yes the shop put it together. A lot of gamers overclock and many manufacturers allow for it. It was done professionally by the shop but as I stated I had it disabled and I am running at stated speed and the problem persists. I just need to know if I have completely ruled out a corrupted windows install or boot file. I'm sure the install is done quickly when shops load up windows. A few days ago I had to reinstall a few programs that couldn't recover from errors that suddenly presented themselves. Could that indicate a hard drive problem? Thank you.

Last edited:
Sounds to me as the windows 7 has failed to detect your new ssd and loaded the wrong default drivers.

Work arounds include;
1. Upgrade the os to windows 8 or 8.1.1
or
2. Swap the ssd drive out for something (older) that windows 7 understands

in any event... send the system back to the shop, as they should have 1st option to fix it.

I really don't want to upgrade windows and going backwards to a slower hard drive doesn't appeal to me. I agree that the company should take it back and either fix it or refund my money. If replacing this hard drive doesn't work I will insist on this.

Back