Windows 7 Windows 7 Home premium Sound

djchapple

Extraordinary Member
I have an Acer 5742 laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium. I have a Acer port replicator attached via USB 2 connection..

I have Sony USB speakers attached to the laptop via the port replicator. Normally the sound is played through the Sony speakers but occasionally the sound reverts back to the laptop which has appalling speakers.

The only way I know to get the sound back to the Sony speakers is to unplug the port replicator and then plug it in again. I often have to repeat this process many time to get the sound back to the Sony speakers.

I appreciate that this Heath Robinson method is not exactly at the cutting edge of technology and I know there must be a rather more refined method. Can someone point me in the eight direction?

Many thanks

If you right-click on the speaker icon in the System Tray and select Playback Devices, do the Sony speakers show there? If so, you should be able to select them as your playback device instead of the built-in speakers.

Great that you solved your problem.

As general information for others, port replicators and USB hubs can be problematic. Many devices just won't work, or work reliably, when connected through them. You may not have a choice if your computer has limited ports. In general, if you have a problem with a device that is connected through a port replicator or USB hub, try plugging it in directly on the computer. You may have to play musical chairs with your devices and ports, to optimize the available connections.

Back