Windows 7 Windows 7 Home Premium Update to SP1 error 8007002!

Sweed171

Hi all, I a while back I tried to install windows 7 SP1 but it failed, I tried it a few more times and then just hid the update. More recently I attempted to install the update again and received the error 8007002. So I tried to fix it using the recommended windows fix of deleting files in the /WINDOWS/softwaredistribution folder, after stopping the windows update service.

Having done that and the update no longer working, I attempted another fix of trying the system readiness tool and the manual download of windows service pack 1. After it looking promising at the start and starting the installation, it hung in the middle and then prompted me saying that the installation was not successful and to try the before mention windows fix.

In the details section at the bottom of the prompt it says 'Error: ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND(0X8007002)'. Now I'm looking for any more way to solve this problem. I have seen on other websites of people checking the CBS logs but I'm not quite sure what to do but can provide them if required.

Some more information that may be useful is that I'm using Microsoft security essentials for protection and use widows firewall. I also have Ad-aware installed.

How long did you give the system to rebuild the database prior to the failed SP1 update? Not sure why it can't find some file, Ad-aware might be involved, but did you have any situations with the original Windows 7 install?

What did the System Readiness Tool say?

Did you download the SP1 update from here:

Microsoft Update Catalog

Do you normally run the system with Automatic updates enabled?

Did the system ever Rollback? The following link show some of the log files that might contain info on why the install is failing. You may or may not have some of the logs, and some may be hidden, like the $Windows ones.

Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, and Windows Vista setup log file locations

How long did you give the system to rebuild the database prior to the failed SP1 update? Not sure why it can't find some file, Ad-aware might be involved, but did you have any situations with the original Windows 7 install?

What did the System Readiness Tool say?

Did you download the SP1 update from here:

Microsoft Update Catalog

Do you normally run the system with Automatic updates enabled?

Did the system ever Rollback? The following link show some of the log files that might contain info on why the install is failing. You may or may not have some of the logs, and some may be hidden, like the $Windows ones.

Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, and Windows Vista setup log file locations

Thanks for the really fast reply, ill try to answer the questions for you now;

I tried a few times after the automatic update showed it was available, so whenever that was released, and haven't really tried to address the problem since then. So that's a time frame for the data base.

I bought my machine with windows 7 home pre installed.

The system readiness tool said applying hotfix for windows and completes successfully. The prompt says 'Do you want to install the following for Windows software update - Hotfix for Windows (KB947821)'

I did not use the website you linked but the Microsoft downloads page which was this one. I downloaded the 64 bit client also -Download: Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 (KB976932) - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details

I do run my system with automatic updates enabled. And I haven't ever rolled back my system.

When looking at the website you listed and suggest that some of those files must be missing, I cannot find any of the C:\$WINDOWS files.

I think I've answered the questions you asked, and thank you very much for your help :)

Back
Top Bottom