Windows 7 Windows 7 IE8/Update issues Brand New Laptop

phyregold

I just got a E-machines laptop for chrismas. Tried to browse the internet and google came up. I try to go to any other website besides google and its faills. It just gets suck on "waiting for". So I figured there might be some kind fo wierd update needed, i tried to get my updates to work. But it just gets stuck on checking for updates. If anybody has any idea please let me know.

Following has been checked and tried:
1) Uninstalled norton
2) Checked host file
3) check ipconfig
4) yes i do have an connect
5) reset IE defaults
6) added update.microsoft.com to trusted sites
7) turned off windows firewall
8) reset windows defaults
9) turned off all IE addons
10) stop all things from starting

**) Would have tried firefox but i cant get to the site to download it!!!

This isnt my first rodeo, but i'm about to scream here. Any idea or tips?

Here are you main problems.....

A. You got an eMachine

B. you will probably need to wipe out the hard drive and reinstall everything because something possibly corrupted the system which happens with factory installs quite often.

C. added update.microsoft.com - You don't access Windows Updates therough IE anymore

Control Panel / Updates

Some folks say norton takes more uninstalling than just the normal uninstall.

I would probably download Hijackthis form Trend Micro and see if some Browser helper is set up to control your browsing.

Prior to doing that, you might go to tools in IE, manage add-ons, and see if anything is installed and enabled that might be causing your problem.

Update

WTF... major WTF

Update:

It has to do with my wireless network card is having trouble translating with WPA security. I plug this in using ethernet works fine. I turn down security down to WEP or none it works fine. I've seen this on legacy network cards and you just update the drivers. But never on a brand new laptop.

Some folks say norton takes more uninstalling than just the normal uninstall.
Yes, that is true. Link Removed - Invalid URL <- is link
It has to do with my wireless network card is having trouble translating with WPA security. I plug this in using ethernet works fine. I turn down security down to WEP or none it works fine. I've seen this on legacy network cards and you just update the drivers. But never on a brand new laptop.
Yep, i refer back to Point A. of my previous post.

But,,, what Brand WIFI Card is it?

Update:

Since it works fine with WEP encryption or no encryption but has a problem with WPA, perhaps it has nothing to do with you computer or Wireless adapter, but more to do with your wireless router, maybe check and see if there might be a firmware upgrade for that device and let us know.

It is never my intent to sound abrupt or discourteous. Often I am just being as quick and succint as possible, since I assume getting a fast response to your issues is as important to you as seeing your issue resolved is to me. I apologize in advance for any unintended hurt.
Ditto....

Also,, not all Routers and WIFI cads support WPA.

However,,,, Linksys software had a problem with it under XP SP3 on some systems. Very strange problem, but their answer was to not use WPA, or not use Linksys software.

I have not had a chance to play too much with WIFI under 7. But I have a system that I am working on at home that will be fully WIFI conencted, so i will check it out and tell you what I find. It is Linksys though, and not Atheros.

After looking at Atheros.cz website,, they ahve Vista drivers,, but that doesn't mean that it is 7 compatible. So this could be a compatibility problem.

Last edited:
You may have to go back to xp drivers for your router then work upwards to update to windows 7 drivers. It may work but no promises.

kachori

Back
Top Bottom