Windows 7 Windows 7 Keyboard Programming

Don Madsen

I have 3 HP Multi-media keyboards. On my Vista system the programs for the multi-media keys are displayed in a grid in the Control Panel section Keyboard. In the Windows 7 Control panel Keyhoard the grid is there, but is blank and there seems to be no way to change any thing. It appears to me that the sytem wants to use default programs. This does not work for the Eudora email program that I still prefer and also does not give the flexibility that I prefer. For example I like to use one key to access the Character Map (C:\Windows\system32\charmap.exe) and I don't find a method to do this in Windows 7. Is there a way to access the key programming?

Hi Don;
And welcome to the forums. As you can see from here and here the keyboards compatibility with Windows 7 may very well depend on the particular model number of the Keyboard. However there is a driver available Link Removed - Invalid URL that apparently will work with Windows 7 32bit version. Still trying to find the equivalent for 64bit Windows 7. No success so far.

Windows 7 64bit driver for HP Multimedia Keyboard Link Removed - Invalid URL.

My system is a Windows Home Premium 64 bit. I downloaded the sp46377.exe driver and attempted to install it. After finishing it gave the following error message. "The update did not complete successfully (259)" I had several calls to HP earlier and they were given control of my computer and made several (unsuccessful attempts to make it work. They finally told me to contact Microsoft. This does not appear to be easy (as it was many years ago when the support was very good). It seems like the design of Windows 7 intends to make the keyboard driver loading more automatic than it was in Vista. It seems like something may be broken, but I have no real way of knowing what the problem is. HP support people called me back 3 times, but the end result was unsuccessful. Picking default programs is now handled in a manner that makes it difficult to pick Eudora as the default mail program, which is a similar problem.

Back
Top Bottom