Windows 7 Windows 7 Laptop Turns off after failed Microsoft Update

Varwulf

Greetings,

I have an old Asus K52J that overheated and shut down some weeks back. After replacing the worn out fan and eventually the heat sink unit and copper tubing, I finally had it back up and running perfectly for several hours after being down for a few weeks.

It was running perfectly at 100 degrees Fahrenheit for multiple hours this morning, but eventually was forced to reboot for a Windows Update. I didn't get to see what happened (I have multiple machines/screens and I was looking away while it was updating), but it eventually was in a shut down state and I manually restarted it.

I was prompted with a BIOS message stating that some files were corrupted and a recommendation that I allow Windows to correct this issue as well as the option to start normally. I opted for the recommended option. 30 seconds later the machine shut off after booting into Windows 7 (in the background with a repair dialog box running in the foreground).

I restarted, tried again, same results.

I restarted again, hit F8 repeatedly so I could try to run the repair diagnostics, and it shut off again within 30 seconds.

I restarted again, did the F8 thing again, tried Safe Mode, and same results.

After opening up the laptop and touching my hand to the heatsink, the vent, and the copper tubing, I can say with 100% confidence it is not a heating issue, it is a software issue related to this Microsoft Update (that happened today, but might be many days or possibly a couple of weeks old). I cannot confirm which one it is since the machine won't stay on for more than 30 seconds.

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 on this machine. Any suggestions or help would not be unappreciated.

Thank you.

Hi,
I'd remove the battery for a minute or so as this sometimes helps. If you can get back into the advanced Boot options (the same place as safe mode) look for 'Last good known configuration' and click that.

Its funny you mention this because I was just about to start a thread myself with this same issue but mine is a desktop. My primary HD would crash every time MS would install the latest patch. It would go through the start up repair wizard and reset to an earlier set up and it would start fine. Then it would begin the cycle again when I would shut down trying to install the latest patch again. I though it might be a corruption with the software and HD but I just recently purchased a new HD and did a restore. Everything has been going fine til MS installed the latest patch on it and now it won't start at all. Now I'm going to have to do another restore.

Sometimes Windows updates cause more trouble than they solve. I suggest http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/remove-update#1TC=windows-7

Take off stuff while considering the date. Also, always have your stuff safe: have your own material on another partition, or rather another disk. That way it's safe in the inevitable of Windows re-install.

On the other hand, troubles with patches/updates are usually corrected with new ones. After a few days, everything may work well. That's one reason to always send reports to any software producer, if you get problems. I can only imagine the entity of reports received globally... :confused:

Yours truly.

Luckily I do have my back-ups on another drive. Last time I used the Windows Image file and it restored in a snap. Really impressed. I want to try my Paragon back-up this time but its not nearly as automatic as the Windows Restore from Image. So my question is: when Windows installs on a HD it creates 2 partitions. A 0 partition that is Win reserved (not sure what that means) and a 1 partition. The 0 partition is small, about 100 mb if I remember correctly and the rest is partition 1.

So when doing a restore with Paragon you have to select what partition you want to restore and where you want it restored too. Watching the Youtube video the guy only restored partition 1. With my computer not starting up at all, do I need to restore partition 0 or just partition 1 or both one-at-time?

Well, I ended up following the advice (removing the battery for a bit, powering back up, etc). I managed to get back to Windows just fine, apart from the battery icon on the taskbar showing a red warning, saying the battery was bad/should be replaced. I ignored it since it was on AC power and yet it still would charge to 100% despite the warning.

To make a long story short. Another Microsoft Update, and I'm back to where I started. It just started happening today (it has been on, though would enter sleep mode on occasion) since the post about removing the battery.

What could the issue possibly be this time? Removing the battery for awhile, powering back up, etc, isn't solving the problem this time. I even tried booting without the battery, into safe mode, etc, nothing works, it keeps shutting down.

It may sometimes happen that Windows Update itself gets corrupted. Nothing in this world is perfect. I suggest you make a simple search with words like "fix windows update ". I recommend to try Microsoft solutions, since we do have many witch doctors out there. It has happened that a cure contained malware and brought the whole system down, or made the computer a slavish bot.

Take care.

Well, now the darn thing only boots to the "Reboot and Select proper Boot device" screen then shuts down immediately.

I know that Windows Updates aren't perfect, but I've never had one completely destroy a machine before.

It's impossible to utilize the "fix windows update" solution you provided, Pauli, if I cannot get this thing to even boot to Windows :(

Sorry I've been passive here, been active elsewhere. All I can think of right now is, in case you still have the problem, to use GParted Live. It has to be downloaded and burned on a disc.It contains a vast amount of tools, you need to familiarize yourself with it. I don't really know it that well. It works through booting, you need to set the disc station as boot via BIOS setup. It won't install, you can use it as an outsider analyzing and working tool.

Windows automatic repair tools are, in my experience, worth about nothing. I've never managed to fix it with them, except some instances with FixIt-solutions... but then you have to get to Windows, in first place!

It could be an issue that you have restarted your computer while it was still working with repair. That, as well as shutdown while updates are being installed, may be fatal. Sometimes fixes may take hours and we, who are so accustomed to just click "Hey it's done" don't have the patience.

Very sorry about the delay, haven't ignored or anything like. No need to write more, I must know your status. But best wishes.

Pauli, no need to apologize at all! Your tips and advice has been more than appreciated. I cannot hardly expect you to give me 100% of your time and attention, I am sure you have family and friends who are far more deserving :)

Though I cannot argue at all with your sentiment regarding Microsoft's automated repair tools, etc, I think I am going to give your advice regarding GParted a try. After that I think I'll just use my MSDN license to install a new OS onto another hard drive and see if that works for the poor old laptop.

Thanks again for your advice, I'll keep you informed.

Yeah, even with GParted booting, it still shuts down in the middle of GParted's procedure. I really don't get what's going on. I cannot say for sure if the battery is low on charge (I let it run without being plugged in, just on battery, and it ran fine. I plugged in the AC adapter just to make sure it had enough juice to finish, 2 minutes later it shut itself down). I then unplugged the AC adapter, rebooted, tried to run GParted again, and it shut down in the middle of processing again.

It just keeps shutting down in the middle of processing GParted. Which makes me wonder if a new hard drive would even resolve the issue or not.

Update: I pulled the hard drive out and attempted to access it with one of my SATA to USB interfaces. Everything is already there, though I am hesitant to try to access my user folder (lack permission/ownership on the machine I am checking it with) on the off chance the OS is still salvageable.

Waiting for your advice on my next approach :)

Asus K52J does seem to have overheating problems, opinion made after a short study.

It does sound like you have a total problem. 100 Fahrenheit = 38 Celsius is no problem, humans work at 36.8° ± 0.4 °C (98.2° ± 0.7 °F) which means your computer hasn't been much warmer than your fingers touching it. Fingertips are usually either colder or warmer than the average of body temperature, since they are the utmost part of us struggling with environment, it depends on "the weather". But so to say, they stay alive with as they are. Another question is, how accurate the temp reading is, some persons have reported that the laptop "burns fingers". And another question is, parts of your computer may have been really hot, parts that aren't in the immediate surrounding of temp control.

I would advice you to get some professional help, first through the seller. It's quite obvious that the comp has problems. Just look at https://www.google.fi/search?q=Asus...122&ie=UTF-8#q=Asus+K52J+overheating&start=10

Maybe you can get another one, as to compensate?

Yeah, I've read some of the details about this laptop too and though it was discouraging, I was fairly convinced I saved it when it ran fine for 2 weeks after replacing the cooling system.

Oh well, I've pretty much been convinced it's dead, and unfortunately this has put a bad taste in my mouth regarding ASUS.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...152746&cm_re=msi_titan-_-34-152-746-_-Product

Would love to snap this up here but it might be a little over kill (on price and power), but wow, a free 4K TV with purchase? lol Even if the (TV's) brand isn't known for it's reliability...

ASUS is a highly respected brand, I have their motherboard and their video card and two of their optical drives, DVD and Blu-ray, everything has worked just fine. Please, don't paint it too black if you had one disappointment. "All men are mortal", like JFK said.

MSI seems to be a bit controversy. I've had several MSI mobos, their video cards, and they have my full respect. I had a MSI overclocked video card, with safe temperature to 120 °C = 248 °F! You could have fried eggs on it. :eek: Yet, it worked like a dream.

Some hate MSI, they say "nothing good comes from there", but I strongly disagree. It may be, like so often in human life, jealousy causes pain and opinions. Only in Open Source with their "Kill Bill [Gates]" game have I met such strong feelings. Unless we go to [Neo]Nazis or something extreme. But that's a totally different matter.

Failure or mistake are not bad. They provide us with an opportunity to grow as personal human beings. Unless we hit our head against the wall, we will be slumberjacks instead of lumberjacks. We simply need to fight, we need something we must do. Otherwise, it's all like the sleep of Snow White.

I couldn't have said it better myself, really. I do like ASUS for their components, but out of the two ASUS machines I've owned, one (the one we're discussing) overheated and died a horrible, untimely death. The other, though still running fine, came with a load of driver issues and bloatware that forces me to restart it fairly often. Sometimes explorer.exe completely chokes and has to reboot, but after it finishes half of my applications and software don't work, forcing me to reboot. It's one of those issues that make no sense but are just barely tolerable enough to not want to explore further on how to resolve them.

MSI? I've had a load of MSI components and none have failed me. Ever. Though like you stated, I've never actually purchased or owned one of their computers, laptop, or otherwise, so they are as you said, a little controversial.

It's a tough call. A friend of mine at work is rigorously trying to convince me to purchase an Alienware, but I've never been terribly fond of Dell since after the very early 2000s.

In any case, I appreciate your assistance and wisdom once again. Thank you for your time :)

You're welcome with my time. Haven't had so much of it lately. I do what I always do, I don't recommend ready-made solutions, pick-packs-delivered by mail, I recommend to find a local small IT shop, with one you can create a relationship with. They are reliable, they work with heart, of course they live through your wallet, but don't we all? We need to get in order to pay our potatoes!

Godspeed.

Back
Top Bottom