Windows 7 Windows 7 Microsoft mainstream support has ended

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
As of yesterday the 13th of January 2015 mainstream support for Windows 7 has ended.
Microsoft will continue to release security updates for the next five years but will not be updating any new features.
Happily that doesn't mean your computer is going to automatically break or stop working, but it does mean Microsoft will no longer offer free help and support if you have problems with your Windows 7 software as of yesterday:
All support will end on January 14th 2020.

It seems they have stopped supporting the Guide information for Windows Media Center. Since one of my systems is a HTPC, that will complicate things and might make it unusable.

They don't have to stop supporting Windows 7 to cause problems for the users, they can gut the OS in order to push folks into Windows 10. If they remove Solitaire, I am going to Apple..... ;)

I found an article reporting Microsoft had changed their OTA TV schedule supplier in July. Somehow I missed any mention of this. All I needed to do was rework the Media Center setup and let it go through the Zip Code discovery again. Now my Over the Air channel schedules are back.

So if Microsoft would just tell people what they do behind the doors then it would be better for the poor sods that have to use it?

I'm not afraid of ending mainstream or extended support. I'm online as "standard user", so worms and Trojans have no administrative rights to block my system or they'll need my permission smile ;) I feel a bit safer being online now than with Win98 (I remember there I was online with administrator rights). And I also have opensuse dvd (for installing) and the interest of other linux versions if some of my applications won't run in the near of far future ;)

There are vulnerabilities found all the time after support ends including privilege escalation vuls and they don't need administrative rights to gain system level access of your system

Those "holes" don't care me. I'm not a vip (very important person), e.g. German chancellor, president or the head of a company. I'm just nothing in comparison to those people ^^

it's interesting, a discussion in English and English is the foreign language for me.
You should look for somebody else to scare him or her about malware ;) but thank you, you've been warned me :)

the most "security risk"or "hole" is the user in front of the pc :) if he or she opened unknown websites or mails, for instance ;) but thank you for warning me again^^

I would agree the user is generally the weak point in security; however, there definitely is malware, combined with these vulnerabilities, that can execute and gain the necessary privileges with zero human interaction and without their knowledge. Some of these attacks are embedded in ads on pages that the ad companies don't vet for malicious content.

that's what I wrote, the user is generally the weak point in security :) I already read it in Win10 security here, what malware can do. But you are right, even those attacks can hide in ads on unknown pages or sex sites, e.g.

Back