Windows 7 Windows 7 networking with laptop running Windows XP

KostaGe

Please bear with me, I am new both to this Forum and to Windows 7!

I used to have a smooth-running wireless network with a desktop (host) and a wireless laptop, both running Windows XP. My laptop was able to share documents resident on the desktop and to access the two printers attached to the desktop.

Less than a week ago I replaced my desktop with a new one running Windows 7 and, when reinstalling the printers, I let Windows 7 select the appropriate drivers (presumably 64-bit). I have a wireless Cisco E3000 router and, while I was setting its security settings, Windows 7 automatically set up a "home network" and issued me with a user password of its own choosing.

I am able to access the internet from the XP laptop (using the router password) but I am no longer able to access the printers connected to the desktop. I am wondering if I am making a mistake when typing the address of the printers and/or the user name/password, or if the problem is caused by a fundamental incompatibility between Windows 7 and Windows XP.

RESOLVED!!! (if I could only figure out how to delete my post!)

Last edited:
Please bear with me, I am new both to this Forum and to Windows 7!

I used to have a smooth-running wireless network with a desktop (host) and a wireless laptop, both running Windows XP. My laptop was able to share documents resident on the desktop and to access the two printers attached to the desktop.

Less than a week ago I replaced my desktop with a new one running Windows 7 and, when reinstalling the printers, I let Windows 7 select the appropriate drivers (presumably 64-bit). I have a wireless Cisco E3000 router and, while I was setting its security settings, Windows 7 automatically set up a "home network" and issued me with a user password of its own choosing.

I am able to access the internet from the XP laptop (using the router password) but I am no longer able to access the printers connected to the desktop. I am wondering if I am making a mistake when typing the address of the printers and/or the user name/password, or if the problem is caused by a fundamental incompatibility between Windows 7 and Windows XP.

Many thanks!!!

If windows 7 did set up home network it will not work with XP, All PCS using home network must be WIN7 Home Premium or better.
You need to delete that network and set up you own the way you had it in XP. Since that worked you should have no porblem setting it up again.

If you do I think there is a tutorial on how to do that on this froum, if not do a search with your favorite browser.

Thank you. I'll give it a try. Does one start the new network from the Desktop (Windows 7) or the laptop (Windows XP)?:(:confused:

Last edited:
Does not make any difference just need to not use "home network". Proabaly best to start with the WIN7 PC first and them make all the others follow that network name.

Back
Top Bottom