Windows 7 Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) Download Available

It may not have needed it, however i did it in Windows 3.0 3.11 95 and 98 , it was just a carry over to those different Operating systems. I quit this practice with Vista. However for those that do not keep their systems up to-date, it can become the final solution to a problem. It will most likely become the only solution to those that do not keep a good backup so they can go back to a time before a problem.

This is release I bet my last dollar. Have seen too many times this situation where this becomes available to OEM, they will not update it or haven't in the past. Period. Been watching and checking Md5 for a long time on these beta, rtm and whatnot and usually the case is it seem's that there is confusion but in the end a OEM release is final build. I do full compares of the iso, extracted exe or whatever

XP did not and does not need to be reinstalled regularly. That is an outdated carryover belief from times long past. Previous versions of Windows, yes, but since XP did not need DOS installed first, it did not have that problem. I have several XP systems still running that were initially installed in 2001 and 2002. Re-installation for XP and later versions is always a last resort option.

Why? Because of the Internet. The Internet allows Microsoft, security software makers and hardware driver makers to make updates and fixes available for download and installation, thus keeping our systems current. If you were to reinstall XP now, assuming you have installation disks, you would likely be years behind in critical updates, patches and hardware drivers. And, unless you saved a current version copy of all your downloaded programs, you would have to download and reinstall all of them too. And with security software, unless you saved a current copy to CD first, you will be exposed until you get fully setup again and that is risky, to say the least.

Yes, a total reinstall can make a poorly running XP run smoother and at peak performance - if a corrupt Windows installation is the problem. But fixing what is wrong, keeping it fully updated, and keeping the clutter to a minimum will too.
Did you notice my update where I said it could have been because I was such a newb?

Did you notice my update where I said it could have been because I was such a newb?
Note sure. If that was an edit, we don't get notices when a post is edited. But either way, your comment was also about Windows 98 and before, so if familar with the earlier versions, not sure you could still be a newbie today when XP has been around for 10 years. But in any event, my point was for the understanding of all readers and not meant to illustrate that you or anyone else was wrong. Not offense was meant. As I noted, it was a carryover belief from long times past which indicates many others besides you were mistakenly led to believe that too.

Veegertx said:
...but in the end a OEM release is final build.
That's fine but (1), the site that originally leaked this unauthorized release has recanted their initial comments and now says clearly (their bold italics) on their site, "Warning: Microsoft's official position is as follows: Microsoft has not released SP1 to OEMs at this time... The comments made in this blog entry included some inaccuracies." And (2), since we cannot verify the leaked version will be the OEM version, we cannot assume it is the final build.

Let's say, just for curiosity's sake, that the build of SP1(1850) that many of us installed is NOT the actual RTM build and we decide to keep it as it still would presumably contain all the patches, etc. that we would need. And let's also assume further down the road that there is a SP2 released before Windows 8. Would we be able to install SP2 or would the OS balk because SP1 (already installed) was not the absolute final build? I installed 1850 on 4 machines believing it the final build (my stupidity, I know), but I would rather leave it as is than have to reinstall Win 7 on 4 machines.
Or, would it be as simple as uninstalling SP1 (1850) and reinstalling the final build, once it's absolutely certain negating the need to reinstall Win 7? All hypotheticals, but thought I would stir some interest.

Good questions - with no definitive answers. In theory, it should allow you to just run the update. But since this is an authorized, unofficial release, we don't know how final the fine tuning is.

The original post has been updated with important information regarding Windows 7 Service Pack 1, build 7601.17514.win7sp1_rtm.101119-1850.

This nay saying goes on every time for each sp from way back. Mine is updating unlike the RC so this is final. MS won't change anything after releasing to OEM's and that site may say that it is not but other places are saying this is.
Buildlab = 7601.win7sp1_rtm.101119-1850
BuildLabEx = 7601.17514.amd64fre.win7sp1_rtm.101119-1850

101119 (yymmdd) = Build date stamp in the format of year, month and day)
So that telling us that this hasn't been touched from that day? Yep no changes and MS usually don't but release way later. Can't beta test after that point

We'll see in a few day's.
If not then I'll copy my dvd in and inject new and 20 minutes later I'm running latest. Another 30 minutes to install all my junk. bing badda boom

Edit: guess I was typing while you posted that Mike

Whoo Hoo, I'll have to start applying to beta, LOL.
I had a blast Beta Testing Windows 7.

Mike said:
Many over-clocking websites, PC review magazines, and other media organizations have decided to consider this the prime candidate for a final RTM (“release-to-manufacturer”) build.
Veegertx said:
MS won't change anything after releasing to OEM's and that site may say that it is not but other places are saying this is.
Oh? Who? Got examples that don't simply cite the Russian site? I have not just been complaining about this. I have tried hard to validate the claims. I have looked hard to find even a shred of supporting evidence this was genuine and have found nothing. I have seen no OC website, PC review magazines, other media organizations or other places do anything but cite the original leaking blog site. Nothing from a second source, Microsoft or otherwise, to corroborate it all. And that's why I have been against jumping the gun on this from the beginning. No corroborating evidence. Just the word of an unauthorized Russian blogger.

Thanks Mike for updating the first page.

Yep, couldn't wait myself... I actually wasn't expecting Sp1 today, but rather was interested in what and how the presence of SP1 on a machine would impact the availability of updates.
I have Win7 64bit installed on two different machines, one with and one without Sp1.
So ran the Windows Update utility on both and basically it looks like the Sp1 machine got the same six (6) security updates that the non-Sp1 machine got, however; looks like three updates that were applied to the non-Sp1 machine were not available for download and consequently of course not installed. These were (KB2454826), (KB2467023), and (KB2487426). I am not quite sure what to make of this, I suppose I would like to think that the Sp1 machine didn't need these as they were already in-place as a result of having installed the service pack. But I suppose that that may very well be wishful thinking on my part. Just wanted to summarize my experience with today's updates in respect to the presence and non-presence of Service Pack 1.

Hotfix date on files for KB2454826 are on 02-Nov-2010. This is before the Service Pack was digitally signed.

The others were both released in February, and show file modification dates in December - which would be right after the Service Pack was signed...

I have had the SP132 bit installed since it first came out and I only got the following 7 updates today?

Update for Windows 7 (KB2502285)

Security Update for Windows 7 (KB2393802)

Security Update for Windows 7 (KB2485376)

Security Update for Windows 7 (KB2425227)

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 9 Beta for Windows 7 (KB2482017)

Security Update for Windows 7 (KB2479628)

Definition Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB982726), 32-Bit Edition

One of them KB 2502285 refers to an issue that happens with a system that already has SP1 installed or am I reading the information incorrectly.

Update for Windows 7 (KB2502285) I have SP1 installed and did not get this update, I downloaded it from MS and when I try to install it I get not applicable to your computer
Here is the reason for this update
Consider the following scenario:
  • You run an active antivirus application on a computer that is running Windows 7.
  • You install Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) on the computer.
  • You restart the computer.
In this scenario, you may receive a Stop error message that resembles the following:
STOP: 0x0000007F (0x0000008, parameter2, parameter3, parameter4)
UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
Now I may not need this update as I run MSE as my Anti virus so this error should not occur

Well here it is "update Tuesday" and no SP1.
I was not expecting one today. I am hoping next month, but it could be up through June and still meet Microsoft's published deadline.

Looking forward to IE9 RC. I've been beta testing it for a long time, and love/hate it. Hopefully the major bugs will be addressed then I will be happy with it.

Hey Super Sarge, how's it going. I got a feeling that the reason for that is (just a best guess) that it's perhaps just for x86 systems? And you, like me, are running 64 bit. My 2 cents.

I am fine thanks for asking

That could be as the download says Windows6.1-KB2502285-x86.msu
it should be more clear on the MS site under requirements it just says the following
  • Supported Operating Systems:Windows. It should be more specific for the user

Update for Windows 7 (KB2502285) I have SP1 installed and did not get this update, I downloaded it from MS and when I try to install it I get not applicable to your computer
Here is the reason for this update
Consider the following scenario:

• You run an active antivirus application on a computer that is running Windows 7.
  • You install Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) on the computer.
  • You restart the computer.

In this scenario, you may receive a Stop error message that resembles the following:
STOP: 0x0000007F (0x0000008, parameter2, parameter3, parameter4)
UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
Now I may not need this update as I run MSE as my Anti virus so this error should not occur

Since I already had SP1 32bit installed, is this article saying that I should or might get an issue with an active anti virus being used.

Is this the reason for this (KB2502285)

I use ESET SS latest version and have not had any problems as it seems to be playing well with SP1.

Since I already have an active antivirus and have insatalled SP1 I could be having possible issues according to the info on this KB already but I am not.

Back