Windows 7 Windows 7 Shutdown problem

Xalla

I've recently made a clean install of Windows 7 - Pro - 32bit on my laptop. It's much better than Vista if you ask me but you run into a few problems when installing it. Most of them I got fixed, but 2 remain unsolved (until now?)

1. Windows 7 keeps having trouble to shutdown, I simply click "Shut down" in the start menu after which it logs me off and says it's shutting down. As this takes forever, Windows 7 eventually restarts and says that it couldn't properly shutdown. As it restarts and gets to the login screen, I simply click "Shut down" at the login screen and then it shuts down properly. Therefore I suppose that one of the programs present in the RAM memory is causing trouble when I shutdown? Or does anyone has had a similar problem?

2. When I close the lid of my laptop, it has to go in sleep mode. When I open it, the screen remains black allthough I move my mouse and/or press a key. I can hear the laptop accepting my commands and see it's doing stuff, but the screen doesn't want to wake up. I thought this would be a problem with the power management ("allow power management to disable device to save power?") but I couldn't find anything wrong in the device manager at the graphics part.

Can anyone help me with one or both of these problems?

Same issue

This seems to be happening to almost everyone. I've had the same issue with both Enterprise and Ultimate versions, and did not have the same issue with RC1. Now I can't log off, restart, or shutdown without having to do a manual shutdown with the power button which I hate as it is not good at all. I keep scouring the forums but can't find much in terms of a solution but do see a lot in terms of others having the same issue. I was worried it was my laptop but ......I can see it's not.

Does anyone know of a fix for this?

Are all 3 of these laptops? You might want to list your security programs. I had a lot of problems with shutdowns on desktop from Webroot Spy Sweeper. That caused problems in Vista also.
Joe

I am having the exact same issues. I just installed Windows 7 Pro 32 bit on my netbook, a Dell Latitude 2100. When I go to shutdwon it just says logging off. I went to bed the first night I installed it and thought that it was going to shutdown properly, the next morning I got up and found it was still shutting down. Same problem when closing the lid.

Aside note, I install Windows 7 Pro 64 bit on another laptop of mine and have had no issues whatsoever.

I resolved my issue. So originally my netbook was running 7 with Aero Glass and all the bells and whistles. Once I kicked it down a notch it started shutting down quickly and without issue. I found that even though it can do all the nice graphics and such it wasn't happy about it. But once I changed the settings for better performance everything started working fine. I will slowly starting working it to see what I can get away with before I start having issues again.

This seems to be happening to almost everyone. I've had the same issue with both Enterprise and Ultimate versions, and did not have the same issue with RC1. Now I can't log off, restart, or shutdown without having to do a manual shutdown with the power button which I hate as it is not good at all. I keep scouring the forums but can't find much in terms of a solution but do see a lot in terms of others having the same issue. I was worried it was my laptop but ......I can see it's not.
not me. my win 7 ultimate 7600.16385.x64.RTM is working fine on shutdown. :D

I am having similar shut down problem with my Windows 7 Prof edition. It takes over 4 minutes to shut down even after I have changed "WaitToKillServiceTimeout" to 4000". This problem needs to be addressed by Microsoft fast!

I have the same problem at times, sometimes when I hit restart it takes for ever to shut down and restart at other times it is normal. No I am not on a laptop or net book, My Bios is up to date. M AV is Beta Microsoft essentials. I have had to wait up to 3 or 4 minutes for a restart to get out of the shut down phase before re starting. Other everything works fine

Could a couple of the posters in this thread, give a picture of what they have running in the Msconfig - startup window.?
I have an old laptop and two stationaries of varying quality. I have been installing and uninstalling since the first build but have never had this problem. There are several "entertainment" programs which can, under many circumstances, cause the problem. - (Youtube. Itunes and similar), which do not need to be running resident.

"even after I have changed "WaitToKillServiceTimeout" to 4000". This problem needs to be addressed by Microsoft fast! "
The tweak you have applied does not, normally, affect the shutdown time, but, for what its worth, 1000 is a better default. The services will still wait until the program which is causing the delay, itself shuts down. A better procedure, which works for some(but apparently not all - sorry) is to navigate to Hkey_Current_user\Control Panel\Desktop and select "autoend tasks, and change it from 0 to 1.
Whilst in the same window of the registry, scroll down to WaitToKillAppTimeout. The default will be a figure from 6000 to 20000, according to which particular release you are using. try 1000, (I have all of mine on 4000, which seems sufficient)

In defence of Microsoft. Whilst the above tweaks might work and help, a nominal install of windows 7 will not normally produce such poor results as those above (see Headshot's post!) The problem is usually the result of hardware or software problems, not normally the fault or responsibity of Microsoft, unless it is brought to their attention for addressing.

Thanks for the input RAK. Previously I had installed Windows 7 RC 64-bit on the same machine and it worked fine. The OS started up quickly and shut down quickly. I loved it! But when I installed Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, I started having problems shutting down. By the way, I was not able to find the autoend task you mentioned under Hkey_Current_user\Control Panel\Desktop . Is it called "autoend"? Thanks,

JML: I guess a picture is worth a thousand words.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Last edited:
Hkey_Current_user\Control Panel\Desktop and select "autoend tasks, and change it from 0 to 1.
Whilst in the same window of the registry, scroll down to WaitToKillAppTimeout. The default will be a figure from 6000 to 20000, according to which particular release you are using. try 1000, (I have all of mine on 4000, which seems sufficient)

The above does not exist in my registry of Windows 7 RC-1 Build 7100

I have no explanation as to why it is missing. I am using the RTM, but that is not the reason.
Have you been using any reg cleaners?

Make a backup of your registry first, then run the attached file, which should replace the items. First rename the file from.txt to .reg. It was neccessary to change the handle in order to upload it.

Last edited:
I am having the very same problem with shutingdown and I have tried all sugestions without any good results.

I will keep checking this and other sites for new solutions.

Lmor

Back