Windows 7 Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit Freezing.

JKing

Hi, recently i have had a problem with Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit freezing at random requiring me to hit the reset button to get out of it. When the system reboots it goes to the windows loading screen with the parts of the windows symbol swirling to completion however right in the middle the windows symbol freezes in place before completing and the system wont boot up. I then have to use the reset button again and this time i get a prompt asking me to run start-up repair (recommended) or start windows normally. I run the repair and it asks to run a recovery so i select yes run the recovery and then the system reboots and starts up again perfectly. Then after a while, sometimes right away sometimes after a few hours it freezes again and i go through the same process. I've been running Windows 7 for about 4-5 months now.

System:

Motherboard: ASUS P5n-D 750i SLI
CPU: Intel Core 2 DUO 2.66 wolfdale
RAM: 2x 2GB DDR2 G-SKILL
HDD: SATA 160GB WD.
Optical: DVD-RW SATA.
GPU: 2x EVGA Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT in SLI mode.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

JKing

The best thing you can do for testing purposes and possible alleviation before doing anything else is to uninstall your current antivirus and replace it with MSE.

If you choose to do so, please remove your current a/v with the special tool found here and then let us know if this helped or not. We will for sure have further things to try and suggest if this does not work out. It has a good chance though.

AV Uninstallers - Windows 7 Forums

Since you mention about the AV uninstallers i thought i would ask this question. I had been running McAfee AV when i first installed Win 7 then about 2 months ago i uninstalled McAfee and went back to Avast! AV but did not know to use the uninstaller tool. Could this be a cause to my problem? Should i attempt to run the McAfee uninstaller tool?

Yes, it could be the source of the problem and yes, I recommend you run both cleaners.

I would disconnect from the net for at least a half hour or so and run without antivirus protection to be certain if it helped or not.

Once satisfied in either way good or not, install MSE as replacement and use computer normally.

OK i ran the McAfee cleaner and updated a few out of date drivers and everything seems to be working right now. I looked into the Microsoft anti-virus program and it seems to be under par compared to other AV programs so I think i'm going to try to stick with Avast! and see if that works. If i get the problem again I'll try the Microsoft AV.

Thanks,

JKing

Last edited:
Back