Windows 7 Windows 7 unable to locate networked server

dougancil

I have a user who just upgraded from XP to 7 and when we try to view our network they are receiving the error 0x80070035. They are on another subnet outside of my network but have a direct cable connection to my network as well. They can ping any of the servers within my network but when you try to find any of the PCs within my subnet they can't see them. I've checked to make sure that the LLDT is enabled. I've made sure the Netbios over tcp/ip is enabled, I've made sure that the Computer Browser service is turned on under services.msc, but all to no luck. In the subnet they are within, they can see all of those pc's. This user was able to see all computers on both subnets on XP. They are using Windows 7 Professional, they have the latest drivers for their NIC. They are also able to see some of the saved "paths" that they migrated over from Windows XP to this new laptop, just not able to create a new shared drive to one server. Can anyone offer any kind of advice?

Thank you

It would seem that in this instance we're dealing with a Windows 7 multihomed computer (two nics, different subnets/networks) and the netbios information is not correctly supporting both networks. I would suggest augmenting the netbios cache by using an lmhost file that contains the information regarding the server/machine ip address and netbios name and the #PRE to preload it into cache. There isn't a lot of good information out there regarding Windows 7 multihoming and I haven't had an opportunity to play with it to see if there are other options, but since there are two seperate networks involved and I assume you're Interneting and filesharing on one and just file sharing only on the other this might be the simplest solution to get what you need. Take a look at this article and see if it helps, and keep us posted How to use lmhost
EDIT: Keep in mind that problems will arise if the server/machine that is hosting the network resource has a change in IP address as a result of DHCP information, so make sure that the machines hosting the shares have fixed IP address so the LMhost file is always accurate.

Last edited:
Ok so ... I'm writing to you from another Windows 7 machine that I have in the same network as the Vista machine and I'm not able to see it and it's not able to see me. I've made sure that all of the file sharing privileges are enabled, I've double checked machines and the both have LLDP turned on, Computer Brower service is enabled and started, I even added the IP and computer name to my HOSTS file ... no change. So in summary, I have a Windows 7 machine in a non multi homed environment that is trying to file share on a Windows Vista machine and neither machine can see each other in the network. My Windows 7 machine and the Vista machine can see all other machines in the network EXCEPT each other. Anyone have any other ideas? Surely Im not the only one experiencing this issue. Oh and just to add this, neither machine (Vista or Win7 have either Windows Defender OR the Firewall Enabled.)

Thanks

First
check services.msc (just type that into the search box and hit enter) scroll down and check the TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service, see that it's started and set to automatic (double click it to set the startup type)
Next
type ncpa.cpl into the search box and hit enter select and then right click on your adapter that you are using for this connection, on the resultant page uncheck Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6), then select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click the properties button below the frame. On the resultant page, click the advanced button and on the resultant page select the WINS tab at the top, near the bottom put a dot in the radio button, next to Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP and OK your way back out of there.
Finally netbios information does not use the HOSTS file, but rather LMHOSTS but you shouldn't need it for this particular issue.

Last edited:
I had already enabled TCP/IP NetBios Helper .. It's set to Automatic and started. NetBios Over TCP/IP is enabled on the NIC that I am using. Both were set that way before I wrote my response. Sorry that I didn't include that in my previous reply.

Clear the netbios name cache table on both machines
Command prompt type nbtstat -R
Then examine the netbios name cache table on both machines nbtstat -c
It should be empty (no entries)
Then ping both machines by netbios name
Then re-examine the netbios name cache table on both machines nbtstat -c
Are the entries correct, do they reflect the proper name associated with the correct ip address?
If yes, try reboot both machines and see what happens
Probably, something you don't particularly want to hear but, this issue may be caused by some type of third party software Firewalls like Zone Alarm or Comodo if not set, adjusted and tweaked carefully can cause this, as well as some third party Antivirus / Internet Security Suites. My suggestion would be to uninstall any such program (you can always reinstall them later) and see if the issue(s) persist. Simply turning them off or disabling them doesn't seem to always do the trick.

I followed your instructions and while I can still ping both of the machines via netbios name, I am not seeing either one in the cache after doing so.

My Windows 7 machine and the Vista machine can see all other machines in the network EXCEPT each other.
Preform the same operation on the Win7 machine and the Vista machine but direct it at one of the other machines on the network that you are referenceing in the quote above. Does the netbios name table cache (on the win7 and vista machines) seem to populate properly when you ping by netbios name any or all of these machines from the vista and win7 machines?
Are these two machines visible from the other machines on the network and just invisible to each other?

I just performed pinging another machine in my network from the Windows 7 machine and then looked at the netbios table cache and there was still nothing there. I am able to see the Windows 7 machine from any other machine on the network.

Ok so I upgraded the Vista machine and now I have 3 Windows & machines in my network. None of them can see each other, but I had a mapped drive that was saved to my local Windows 7 machine that can now get access to the newly upgraded 7 machine. I can ping back and forth between all 3 machines via netbios names, I've disabled all security on the machine in question and nothing seems to correct this issue. The other odd thing is that I can search the Active Directory via the netbios name and all machines see each other BUT trying to map a network drive via that same netbios name, I get an instant failure saying that the network name doesn't exist. Any ideas?

This is the first time, that I've seen mention of Active Directory in your posts. So if you have an active directory domain controller, make sure that all your machines are pointing to it as the primary or preferred (1st) resolver for DNS queries in the properties of IPv4 for each of your machines. If your machines are not receiving DHCP information from the Domain Controller, say for instance from a router on the network, then this information will have to be included in the information that the router hands out, or configured within the scope of the Domain Controller's DHCP information, or configured manually on the individual NICs on each machine.
If the Domain Controller is running WINS, then this information should also be included in the information in the DHCP scope or manually on each NIC to point to the network's WINS server.

The only reason that I mention AD is that it just seems odd to me that all of my network can see each other via AD and netbios, and of course all of my network is point to the controller as the resolver for both WINS and DHCP. I'll look at this a bit more in detail but it's specific, so far to these three machines all of which just happen to be running Windows 7, which seems odd, because when I was running XP .. I didnt encounter this issue.

What version of windows server is your primary domain controller? Is the domain controller current with all service packs? If it's an older server there may be an issue with NTLMv2 that the Windows 7 machines use by default and you may have to dumb it down some, not sure for certain. Did you have any issues at all, joining the machines to the domain?

The DC is Windows 2003 Server and it is updated with all the latest patches. I didn't have any issues joining these pc's to the domain at all.

Examine the WINS database on the 2003 server...tombstone and purge any records that are inaccurate. Check for entries specific to the Windows 7 machines.
Examine the DNS forward and reverse lookup zones, check for PTRs specific to these machines edit or delete records that are inaccurate.
On the Windows 7 machines, log off and log backon using FQDN user name format, ([email protected]) right click command prompt short cut, choose run as admin, type ipconfig /flushdns and then ipconfig /registerdns

It appears that there isnt a WINS database on the DC. I think that all DNS are added manually via the hosts file.

Sorry, my last post was incorrect. The server did have a WINS instance installed. It was just stopped. I have started it and I'm looking at the entries and the entries are correct for the machines listed. So no tombstoning had to be done. I've flushed the DNS and re-registered it. I'm not thinking that it has anything to do with the DNS at this point because for all intents and purposes, it looks as if they're registered on the network correctly. I could be wrong with that statement, but I see them being broadcast across the network with the correct netbios name and I'm able to find the machines in question from both an AD lookup (via the netbios name) and also by pinging them (again via the netbios name) so to me that kind of rules that out.

Yep, DNS shouldn't be a problem unless there is something contradictory present that is not consistent in the WINS database netbios information should be handled by and propogated by the WINS server have you done an ipconfig /all from the problem machines to see if the information present is consistent with what you would expect it to be, maybe post a screen shot back with your next post so we can take a look (feel free to edit or redact part of the mac and or ip if you are concerned about security) just having a hard time getting my head around the fact that you have a DNS server and a WINS server available, and the Windows 7 machines don't seem to be able to see themselves or other machines on the network. If you use UNC can you open a share from one Win 7 machine on another like \\MachineName\ShareName and from one of the other non-Win7 machines to a Win7 machine. In other words is the only problem with the network, the fact that netbios information regarding these Win7 machines is not being populated in Network / Network Map / Nethood / Network Places ?

Back