Windows Vista Windows 7 upgrade and no internet

tharmine

Hi all,

I did upgrade Vista home premium 32 bits to Windows 7 with no problem and internet was working fine (3 days ago). Yesterday an automatic update installed itself and after reboot I lost all internet connection. I can see my routeur and an other PC in my home network (other PC has internet fine) but it says I have no internet connection, wired or wireless. I also try to use ipconfig/all to check my MAC address and found out it is now 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0, which seems weired and I think it may be the problem. But what do I know... I looked online for hours to try various fixes found on various forums but nothing worked so far, so I decided to ask for help directly.

What can I do?

Thank you in advace

Tharmine

Hi all,

I did upgrade Vista home premium 32 bits to Windows 7 with no problem and internet was working fine (3 days ago). Yesterday an automatic update installed itself and after reboot I lost all internet connection. I can see my routeur and an other PC in my home network (other PC has internet fine) but it says I have no internet connection, wired or wireless. I also try to use ipconfig/all to check my MAC address and found out it is now 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0, which seems weired and I think it may be the problem. But what do I know... I looked online for hours to try various fixes found on various forums but nothing worked so far, so I decided to ask for help directly.

What can I do?

Thank you in advace

Tharmine
Try:
1. System restore, to a restore point before updates or
2. Check update history and uninstall the offending update or
3. Open device manager, expand network adapters, hightlight and right click your adapter, choose properties and under the driver tab, select the roll back driver button, if that is available

Hi, thanks for your help.

The fact is, 2 days ago the pc refused to boot past the first Windows 7 logo. Just black screen. So I did a system restore and it went fine. Then Windows 7 did an automatic update and that's when I lost the internet connection.

What I did today was :
System restore again. Same as before, Windows worked but no internet connection.
I followed an other thread advice and went to services.msc. The first string, which was something like ##Id_String2.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B87 9762 ##
I clicked on it's properties, and change the service from Automatic Start up to Automatic (Delayed Start).
I reboot the pc and it all work fine for now. I restarted a couple of time, downloaded some automatic Windows 7 update, and it seem stable.

I hope that's it. I wil post again if more problem occure, which is possible because I have a lot of trouble since I installed Windows 7 (next time I keep the system the way it work, even if I miss the free update...)

Thank you

Hi, thanks for your help.

The fact is, 2 days ago the pc refused to boot past the first Windows 7 logo. Just black screen. So I did a system restore and it went fine. Then Windows 7 did an automatic update and that's when I lost the internet connection.

What I did today was :
System restore again. Same as before, Windows worked but no internet connection.
I followed an other thread advice and went to services.msc. The first string, which was something like ##Id_String2.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B87 9762 ##
I clicked on it's properties, and change the service from Automatic Start up to Automatic (Delayed Start).
I reboot the pc and it all work fine for now. I restarted a couple of time, downloaded some automatic Windows 7 update, and it seem stable.

I hope that's it. I wil post again if more problem occure, which is possible because I have a lot of trouble since I installed Windows 7 (next time I keep the system the way it work, even if I miss the free update...)

Thank you
Yes, that is I believe a form of the Bonjour service complete with mdnsresponder, which gets installed sometimes as part of an Adobe software product install like CS3 and such, I believe it's safe to set it to manual, or even better disable, I haven't heard of any negative impact when doing either.

yes, that seem to have solved the problem for the internet.

But now I have the black screen of death (just the pointer on black screen after the Windows startup logo). I tried the general fix from the Prevx company with no luck. If I restart the pc right after the BSOD, then it seem to load fine. But the same happen every single time i first load Windows.
Do you know if there is any more news of fix from Microsoft?

cheers

Most of us all agree that a "clean" nstall is the way to go.

An upgrade leaves useless files on your system and can cause conflicts (as you are experiencing now).

Save all your Documents, Pictures, Music, Videos, etc to a flash drive.

Be aware, you will have to re-install all your 3rd party programs.

arghhh.

Ok. I will do a clean install.

it's my wife who keep asking me why I bother install these bloddy upgrades when all was fine previsouly. And I tend more and more to agree with her :)

thank you

but how do I prevent that? I never saw any alert asking me if I want to install any Bonjour service. With what does it come?

cheers

edit : I googled it, it come with Adobe products and CS3 (as installed on that machine :) I though it was part of a Windows update...

cheers

No, it's relayed to Adobe products.

Do you plan on installing any Adobe products?

I don't believe the Bonjour service comes with Adobe Acrobat Reader, but I highly recommend you install FOXIT READER

Acrobat Reader is bloatware and full of security holes.

Look over some of the posts in the Security Zone section.

Last edited:
yes I need tio install CS3 or CS4.

I will need to install Acrobat because it is my wife's machine and she is more than reluctant to use anything else than what she is used to :p (like Open Office)
But good type anyway, cheers

After install.I would immediately go to Start > Run and type services.msc. Locate the Bonjour Service, stop it if it's running, and select disabled from the menu.

If the Adobe products don't work correctly, set it to Manual.

Back