Windows 8 Windows 8.1 Pro & Windows 8.1 HomeGroup help needed.

brkkab

Excellent Member
My home built desktop pc is running Windows 8.1 Pro x64 with Media Center. My Asus 1015E-DS01 notebook is running Windows 8.1 x64. The notebook can see the desktop's HomeGroup and correct password, but can't join it. I've run the HomeGroup troubleshooter on both and nothing is found. I have BitDefender Internet Security 2014 running on both. Is there a setting in BitDefender I need to change ? Also the desktop is wired to my Netgear WNDR-3700 router and Bright House cable modem. The notebook is using wi-fi. All are within 3-4 feet of each other. Driver's on both are up to date according to PerfectUpdater 2.0. Software is up to date on both according to program's updater's, Windows Update and Secunia P.S.I.

Personally I don't use any driver updating software, those some time will allow outdated or the wrong drivers to be installed. That being said, the first thing I'd try would be to disable or turn off BitDefender and see if that will allow you to make the connection. Using HomeGroup, have you setup and joined a homegroup?

It's setup on my desktop. The notebook see's it, detect's the correct password but can't join it. I tried it over 100 time's now. I tried it without BitDefender installed on either pc, Windows Defender turned off & on. I've tried BitDefender in Game Mode on both. No foreseeable way to turn it off and I've waited about a month now. Still no response from their support. I'm really wondering if it's a possible 8.1 bug, just like the HomeGroup icon appearing on the desktop until you signout and sign back in.

just like the HomeGroup icon appearing on the desktop until you signout and sign back in.

I don't have that....you may have some system file corruption. I'd put in your windows media dvd and do a system repair with that.

Not every one has had the icon issue. However, a few of the Administrator's here and myself have.

Have you considered your router. I once had to manually connect one pc to the router with an Ethernet cable in order for the home group to complete. Once done, I could disconnect the cable.

**SOLVED** No, it had nothing to do with my router. A clean install of Windows 8.1 on both pc's fixed it.

Just for my interest and with all the Window's refresh and reset issues, how did you perform your install, from a retail disc?
I have the disc with no product key.
Glad you are all set.

On the desktop I used a 8.1 flash drive I made. On the laptop I copied my Windows 8 dvd (Microsoft sent me when I upgraded from 7 to 8 and purchased backup dvd) and copied it to a flash drive. Notebook doesn't have a optical drive and the Windows 8 key is embedded in the motherboard. I used the 8 flash drive to clean install 8 on it. I then ran Windows Update, until 5.1 showed up in the store. Then I got it. With both clean install's the HomeGroup issue was fixed. However, I got the HomeGroup going on both, before installing any other software. Maybe that was the trick.

Having read what I told you, and, knowing my skill level is relatively low, what advice would you give me to install 8.1 based upon your experience. I think it has been or will be removed from the store.
I don't have a Win 8.1 drive to work with but you seemed to be able to make one.
Thank you
Peter

It all depends. If you don't have a physical product key or label with it on your pc somewhere (usually on the bottom of it). Some manufacturer's like Asus now embed the product key inside the motherboard itself. Thus, you need to clean install whatever version of Windows your pc came with and then upgrade to whatever you're using now afterwards. I'd still let the Windows Upgrade Program for 8 or 8.1 make the bootable flash drive for you. Just make sure not to cchoose the Install Now option. I forget what they call it in each, as I made my Windows 8.1 flash-drive back at the end of November. That flash drive also worked on my notebook, but I had to do a 2nd clean install. Reason for that was, that I downloaded and made the Windows 8.1 flash drive on my desktop pc. My desktop pc has Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center x64 on it. My notebook has plain-Jane Windows 8.1 x64. The flash drive installed Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center on it. My notebooks product key is just for regular Windows 8 and can only be upgraded to regular Windows 8.1 x64. Thus, I coped my Windows 8 dvd files onto a 2nd flash drive and clean installed Windows 8. It picked up the product key off of the notebook's motherboard and activated itself. I then ran Windows Update until none were found anymore. I then opened the Windows Store and got the Windows 8.1 upgrade and installed it. I hope that wasn't too confusing. (P.S. Make sure the flash drive you use has at least 4.0 GB's. of free space on it.

I wonder if I can use my 8.1 dvd to make the flash drive?
You seem to be saying there is a better benefit to have 8.1 on a flash drive than a disc unless I am not reading it correctly..
My older BIOS may not recognize anything as the UEFI does.
Unless I am wrong, It seems unless you use that [Win 8 >pause install and continue with 8.1,] you will need to use the Win 8 disc with product key + go through the store or use an image .
I am tempted to use the Win 8>pause, continue with 8.1 but it seems you still don't have a n8.1 key and the activation etc is more confusing. Thank goodness for my imaging system I can pm to you. - they make a rescue disc for UEFI =WinPE that makes UEFI recovery ez.
Peter

Peterr: You don't need to make the flash drive if your pc has a optical drive. The flash drive installs are a little bit faster, though. As far as your motherboard & bios. If the pc was made after 2005, it should be able to boot from a flash drive.

If your product key for Windows 8 isn't printed on any labels anywhere on your pc You'll need to contact your pc manufacturer's support for how you need to do it. Unless, if you have a product key for your Windows 8.1 dvd. If you do, then just do like I did. Put it in a pc that has a dvd drive's dvd drive and right-click on your dvd drive in Computer and right-click on each folder and file and select Copy. Open another explorer windows and double-click on your flash drive, right-click anywhere and select Paste. Do those steps until everything is copied on the flash drive and you're good to go. Now proceed with either the Windows 8 or 8.1 clean install. During pc bootup keep pressing the F8 key and scroll down and select your flash drive. Make sure the flash drive you use is at least 4 gbs.

Well, I guess the long and short is that I need the product key for Win 8.1 if I want to install it in the future or go through the store with Win 8 and the product key I have for it. Let's hope it is in the store whenever I g there. For now my 8.1 is running fine and I have images of it, Win 8 and Win 7.

Peterr : Do you have 8.1 or 8.1 Pro ? There is a way to clean install 8.1. Here's a link to a generic 8.1 Pro product key. This allows you to clean install 8.1. Once 8.1 is installed, in the charms bar select settings > Change PC Settings then click on PC and Devices. The very top option has a button you click on to change the product key. Now enter your Windows 8 product key and click on Activate. wala, clean install of 8.1. The generic key just need's to be used for the install process. The 8 key won't work there. Also, I just found a way to find the product key for Windows, if it's embedded in your motherboard. Just download and install Belarc Advisor from this link http://belarc.com/ Once you run it, it will open up a Internet Explorer window, scroll down the page and there will be a area that list's the Windows product key. It the one in the parenthesis. Not the first one.

Attachments

• win81pro.txt
    60 bytes · Views: 239
I have 8.1 Pro with Media center. I think that means if I want to keep it I need to obtain a key.
I found Belarc interesting and the other information also.

I do have my Win 8 product key.

Or are you saying that Belarc would give me the product key for the Win 8.1 I am running - not that lucky huh?

Peterr: To do a cleaninstall of 8.1 Pro with Media Center, just use the generic 8.1 Pro key I uploaded. Then when 8.1 is up and running, you change the product key to your 8 Pro key as I already described and then you activate. Then you follow the same procedure for adding Windows Media Center with it's key in Windows 8, on Windows 8.1. Do yourself a favor and make notepad documents of your product key's and sa e them on your pc and in your SkyDrive account.

I will keep your information for future use b/c my pcs are running fine and I don't want to fix what ain't broken so they say.
Your notes may come in handy some day especially if the store does not have Win 8.1 pro.
I lost the Win 8.1 generic product key but will do a search for it.

Peterr: Sounds good to me.Sorry it took me so long to respond. I had surgery yesterday for various kidney, ureter, bladder, etc. problem's

Back