Windows 8 Windows 8.1 update crashes *.mov files even after removing KB2975719 - HELP

WestLondonGirl

Can anyone help?
After discovering that KB2975719 on Windows 8.1 crashes certain *.mov files, yet again, Microsoft released another update on November 11 which took 30 minutes or so to go through my computer. Yet again, KB2975719 returned to my computer which of course caused the .mov files to crash. Again, I removed KB2975719 but the movie files keep crashing. A lot of the video is of my beloved dog who died last year and family events. I can't even hover over the files with my mouse as it will cause the Windows Explorer to crash.
Can anyone give me tip of two to ensure that I can view the .mov files.
Thank you

Hello and welcome to the forum.
Open file explorer.
Select the "View" tab.
Select the Drop Down Arrow under the "Options" icon.
Click, "Change folder and search options"
In the folder options dialog box select the "View" tab.
Check the top box that says: "Always show icons, never thumbnails.
And click OK
Close file explorer.
That should stop Explorer from crashing.

Hi Trouble, thanks for the tip but sadly, still crashing :( I've removed the dodgy update as above, but there appears to be yet another MS problem with *.mov files. Any other tips would be great. Its just so bloody annoying as the files play perfectly well on an old (non Windows 8.1) computer.

When I started testing Windows 10, (No problem with this in Windows 8.1 either) I had some problems with various movie formats. On recommendation, I tried VLC (Free), and have never looked back at the MS media player or any other. Give it a go

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

I thought that it was the act, of opening a folder containing the .mov files which was causing explorer to crash and associated that with explorer having issues with generating thumbnail previews.
Which by the way I don't believe is an actual explorer problem anymore, as much as it is likely a product of some third party codec or codec pack conflict.
But if it is actually the act of playing the files that is resulting in the crash, then absolutely, do as davehc suggests above and use VLC player.
My personal, no muss, no fuss, favorite all around media player.
AND make sure you use the link he provided, you're less likely to get any bloatware along with it.

Additionally if you've installed any of the GAjillion codec packs out there on the internet consider removing it / them.
AND if you've installed any software that may have come on a disc, when you purchased your camera, consider, that it may not be Windows 8.1 compatible and you may need to either acquire an upgrade for the product or uninstall that as well.

Yes, it seems that the "black Tuesday" November 2014 update contains a replacement for KB2975719 which has a similar or worse problems relating to .MOV files.

Viewing some folders with .MOV files in Windows Explorer will lead to it crashing immediately. In other folders you can view them as long as you turn thumb-nails off.

If you try and play the .MOV files in Windows Media Player it will also crash.

All my problematic .MOV files originate from an iPhone4s.

Overall it's very annoying. Instead of fixing the '719 problems things seem to have gone backwards.

Can anyone pinpoint which of the Nov 14 updates is causing the problems?

PS - The problem also seems to cause the "file open..." dialog from VLC to crash (presumably because it has the same problem as Explorer).

A partial work-around is to use the DOS command line to rename the files to have a different extension (eg .M0V with a zero). They then lose their proper associations but at least you can navigate the folders in Explorer. You can also open them from VLC by setting the "all files" filter on the open... dialog.

Further exploration discovers:

If I take a problematic file and strip the metadata out of it using the ffmpeg command line tool and this command:
ffmpeg -i in.mov -map_metadata -1 -c:v copy -c:a copy out.mov
(from http://superuser.com/questions/441361/strip-metadata-from-all-formats-with-ffmpeg)

Then the file now works in Windows again. Unfortunately this strips out the "Rotation" tag so vidoes may be in the wrong oritentation, but it does strongly suggest the new Windows update has some problem with .MOV Metadata off some versions of the iPhone

I've spent far too long on this today - but further exploration suggests the problem only happens on videos recorded on iOS versions prior to 7.1. For 7.1 and later it seems fine.

So, perhaps a slight bug in the MOV output prior to iOS 7.1 which sends Windows wacky.

Latest update: not just pre iOS 7.1 I see now, some newer videos also fail in the same way.

Thanks for linking me to this thread. What steps do you recommend me taking? Obviously this problem hasn't been solved but is there anything I can that may work for me? Not hugely technical when it comes to this stuff, do you recommend me deleting the KB2975719 file? And if so where do I locate it?

I started this thread and after repeated disastrous Windows 8.1 updates reinstalled the dreaded KB2975719 and another KB file back onto my computer, which caused IE to crash when trying to view iPhone movies. Me personally, I'm moving to a Mac when I next replace my computer..
After much Googling, my brother, an IT Manager, identified TWO updates causing the problem with iPhones videos.
REMOVE both KB2975719 AND KB2995388. Switch OFF automatic updates and manually download security updates as and when required.
I now have no problems at all viewing files.
To remove the files, go into Control Panel and there's an icon which, off the top of my head, is Windows Update.
If you need help finding the files, reply to this thread and I'll give you detailed instructions when to remove the file.

I started this thread and after repeated disastrous Windows 8.1 updates reinstalled the dreaded KB2975719 and another KB file back onto my computer, which caused IE to crash when trying to view iPhone movies. Me personally, I'm moving to a Mac when I next replace my computer..
After much Googling, my brother, an IT Manager, identified TWO updates causing the problem with iPhones videos.
REMOVE both KB2975719 AND KB2995388. Switch OFF automatic updates and manually download security updates as and when required.
I now have no problems at all viewing files.
To remove the files, go into Control Panel and there's an icon which, off the top of my head, is Windows Update.
If you need help finding the files, reply to this thread and I'll give you detailed instructions when to remove the file.

I removed those two updates and mine's working perfectly now! Thank you!

I removed these two updates a month or so ago and there's been absolutely no problems with my PC. I have also switched off automatic updates as Windows will try and keep loading these KBs on to your computer. Without these two KBs you can view iPhone movies to your hearts content.
To remove them. Control Panel, Programs and Features, Installed Updates - find the two KBs you want to delete and then delete them. It may take about 15 minutes or so for your computer to uninstall and then you will have to restart your computer. All should then be fine.
Any problems, post here and I'll respond.

okay i removed them and they work :D if i ever want to do a windows update will i just have to manually remove the two files again?

Hi folks,

Apologies for this but this is the first forum I have found that seems to duplicate my issuse. Just recently my I moved some iPhone movies onto my laptop. I now find that the folder crashes if I hover the mouse over them or try to open them directly from the folder (opening with quicktime does work however)

So, I got rid of the 2 updates mentioned above but I still seem to be having the same issue. Is there anything else that I should have done?

Many thanks

Matt

Hi folks,

Apologies for this but this is the first forum I have found that seems to duplicate my issuse. Just recently my I moved some iPhone movies onto my laptop. I now find that the folder crashes if I hover the mouse over them or try to open them directly from the folder (opening with quicktime does work however)

So, I got rid of the 2 updates mentioned above but I still seem to be having the same issue. Is there anything else that I should have done?

Many thanks

Matt
take ownership of your files and find mfmp4srcsnk.dll and rename it to mfmp4srcsnk.dll.old. if you don't know how to take ownership of files theres a video on YouTube that shows how

Back