Windows 8 Windows 8 Consumer Preview Video Review with whoosh, kemical, and Mike

How would you rate Windows 8 compared to Windows 7?

• Perfect

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Good

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Average

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Below Average

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Terrible

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters

Mike

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter

Ross Cameron, Mike Fara, and Michael Myles, come together to host, discuss, evaluate, and explain the Microsoft Windows 8 operating system to each other and the broader audience at large. We talk about the Metro UI Start Screen, gaming performance, showing off new featres, and the learning curve. We also give each of our own takes on different areas of the operating system, and our critique. Ross, Mike, and whoosh make up the original administrator team from Windows7Forums.com, two of them are Microsoft Most Valuable Professionals, and they have come together one more time to bring you this hour long video. Can users who are new to Windows 8 Consumer Preview get passed the lack of Start Menu and the introduction of the Start Screen? Join us for this late night adventure, and critique of the Windows 8 Consumer Preview.

The video is a demonstration, critique, and discussion about Microsoft Windows 8 Consumer Preview. Mike Fara and Ross Cameron are both Microsoft Most Valuable Professionals in Windows Expert - Consumer and Windows8Forums.com is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program. The uploader owns the rights to all of the uploaded content in this video.

Last edited:
Erm....

All I can say is.... It was late :D Seriously though, it was a good chat, fun too.

While I know there is no need for it formally, thank you for being a part of the video. It was enjoyable to discuss the lighter aspects of the OS. These are the basics that I feel most people will be looking at aesthetically. My next look will hopefully be at Windows Server 8 fairly soon. I am looking to do a review on Acronis True Image Home for Windows7Forums.com and Revo Uninstaller.

I have win 7 with classic menus installed (classic shell) and when win 7 is no longer supported I will switch to Ubuntu. I don't want a desktop phone nor a desktop tablet. :(

'tanzanos',

Maybe you meant to say you have Windows8 w/ Classic Shell.

As opposed to myself (a not unique example)… I have Windows8 w/out Classic Shell. I don't own a desktop phone or a desktop tablet but, I do have a very nice Desktop PC :tennis:

Cheers,
Drew

'Drew',
No I have seen win 8 on another machine and I certainly will never install it on mine. Win seven with classic shell (classic menus not the horrid win 7 menus) is good enough for me and my work. I don't want to turn my PC into one giant smart phone nor into some tablet pc. Win8 is definitely NOT for Professionals and certainly not for office work and definitely not for the engineering and scientific fields. Pretty colours do not a functional PC make! :)

No need for quotes around my name as it actually is my name.

Anyway, I think you've missed the point here... Sounds like whatever brief glance you had @ Windows8 has left you w/ some slightly skewed or unfortunate perception of it or you got hung up on its Start screen. There is far more to Windows8 than that & it's great for 'home users', as well as, especially, for business. And my point was, there are no "pretty colours" or pseudo smart-phone thing to be all negative about... in actual fact, Windows8 is just a new version OS for Desktop PC's, that happens to, also, go nicely on mobile devices. One can more focus on the regular Desktop than think they should be turned off by the Start screen & look no further @ the virtues & value of Windows8 that, can be appreciated.

Cheers,
Drew

Well all I will say is that Apple and MS seem to like to HIDE everything and also dumb down the system in order to make us think less. My first computer was the Z80 by Sinclair and since then I have owned many computers. When windows 95 came along I did not even need to learn to use it as it was so intuitive that it took me a very short time to learn. Last year I was given an apple laptop and I could not even open a browser let alone find things like Print etc. I design products as a living and when Win 7 came along I was initially very frustrated at the new start menu until I downloaded and installed classic shell. Also I installed classic menus on office 2007 because this Ribbon interface is to put it mildly simply horrid!
I navigate extremely fast with classic menus and since windows 8 has gone the way of Apple (by hiding everything) then suffice it to say I will under no circumstances even think of installing win8.
Win 7 is very stable, fast and does my job very well indeed and in fact even games run perfectly. I do a lot of 3d modelling and do not need to relearn a totally new OS that is based on smart phone GUI.
I am sure you and many others will find win8 to be a charm but I can assure you that IT managers and professionals will stick with win7.
Win 8 will in all probability end up being just another Vista story.
:)

It is very easy to understand and appreciate your reticence regarding the new Operating System and to say the least, you are not alone.
It seems that you have used some third party software in the past to customize your user environment to suit your needs and as I pointed out in another thread here http://windows8forums.com/windows-8...found-great-power-button-idea-2.html#post8415 those options are still available to you, even in Windows 8.
As a matter of fact I kinda expect to see a small cottage industry grow out of various users wish to retro fit and customize their Windows 8 experience.

Oh, 'tanzanos', BTW, I am an IT Pro... I own an IT consulting & support company. Anyone think I'm the only, such (industry) person, who doesn't see Windows8 as a 100% negative?

Just saying...

Bad to make assumptions & there's always exceptions.

Cheers,
Drew

Yes there are always exceptions; Only I have many IT manager friends and they all bar one hate METRO. You are the second one I know who likes it. But generally speaking; Professionals will not like the new Win8 GUI.

If what you suggesting & predicting for others is based on the tile Start screen... I & many others hardly ever visit it.

Navigating (non-Touch, BTW), @ & from Desktop, it can, also, be said, many may find not unlikable, @ all.

Cheers,
Drew

You can make any version of Windows to suite your own personal needs, including those professionals, whether it be 3rd party apps, registry hacks, batch files etc:
One thing I think your forgetting is that under the MetroUI, Start Screen, Ribbons and Bows, you are running Windows 7, so what is there really not to like?
I have to admit, that I did not like it at first (MetroUI & StartScreen), but with searching and customizing to my liking, I've grown to love it and I too do not use/visit the Start Screen, only to switch to the desktop.
I'm sure there will be a few more changes when the RC and final versions are released and I'm looking forward to it.

FWIW
Don

You can make any version of Windows to suite your own personal needs, including those professionals, whether it be 3rd party apps, registry hacks, batch files etc:
One thing I think your forgetting is that under the MetroUI, Start Screen, Ribbons and Bows, you are running Windows 7, so what is there really not to like?
I have to admit, that I did not like it at first (MetroUI & StartScreen), but with searching and customizing to my liking, I've grown to love it and I too do not use/visit the Start Screen, only to switch to the desktop.
I'm sure there will be a few more changes when the RC and final versions are released and I'm looking forward to it.

FWIW
Don
Were it not for Classic Shell then I definitely would have gone back to XP. Win 7 UI is horrid and so is ribbon and METRO..... well we all know what happened to Win ME and Vista :fat:
STOP HIDING the damn menus! We are not children to like playing hide and seek. Bring back the INTUITION based OS style (Drop down menus and classic start menus).
On my machine win 7 is slower than XP. Has crashed more often, and Search is a Joke! I will not even consider downgrading to Win 8!

One thing that can be said for sure is that many of these assumptions are based on a beta product and misinformation. Oh and if I ever hear another argument for going back to xp will someone please shoot me..

"Search is a joke"

That statement felt like a joke; sure made me laugh!!

& Search in 8 is even neater, cooler than in 7. Must be an each to their own thing.

Hardly ever used the Start Menu in 7; don't miss it, @ all in 8.

"Back to XP" OMG!!! Analogy... going back to a sunset... a very old sunset, was a nice sunset but, sunsets usually point to a new day coming..

Yeeesh, already... enough, already, PLEASE!!

Cheers,
Drew

Search does not have a "Type" filter and the only way is to look up the internet to find all the keywords such as "Kind:" etc. New does not mean better otherwise Win ME should have thrashed Win 98 and Vista likewise with XP. Just because a product is new does not mean it is better or an upgrade to its predecessor. Although I have index turned on; My search fails to find half the stuff I am looking for. I use my PC for work Product design (CAD) etc) and I know as a fact that I had absolutely no problems with XP. I am not interested in Facebook nor fancy candy! For me the OS is a tool and as such Win 7 fell short and Win 8 is basically a hide and seek OS for people who just google and post in Facebook. I pray that Win8 will go the way of Vista. :) Have a very nice day! :)

Win 8 is basically a hide and seek OS for people who just google and post in Facebook.

LOL.... Oh well, I had to laugh.

Seriously though, if you really don't like the os then fair enough. As the saying goes 'You can please some of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time'..

Oh and I have to agree about Facebook, I never use it and actually dislike that form of social media but like I said.. 'You can please some of the people some of the time yada, yada, yada..........

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't say new necessarily meant better; different, maybe, better? Well beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But, time & computing technology marches on & OSs fade into history... that is just plain fact & a little acceptance goes a long way.

Had no social media (never touch the stuff) or frilly junk in mind.

And Win8 is far too superior to Vista to be another Vista.

Cheers,
Drew

Back
Top Bottom