Windows 7 Windows can not leave the homegroup!

abhay2009

My desktop PC is running Windows 7 64 bits. I have already created a homegroup on it. But when I try to view password, system does not show anything there and if I try to change the password to a new one it fails to do! Further I can not also leave the homegroup as the system shows the message 'windows cannot leave the homegroup'. What is the problem?

What does the Network and Sharing center say about the homegroup, are you joined?

Have you run the troubleshooter?

Are there any settings you can adjust?

Since once computer creates the homegroup, is that the computer you are on, and are there any other computers connected to the homegroup?

Windows can leave the homegroup!

I am trying to connect my laptop but can not connect as the password for homegroup is not visible. Therefore I am trying to leave the homegroup first and then again create a new one on desktop. But windows cannot leave the homegroup!!

You did not answer any of my questions, which makes it harder to help.

What you say is happening almost sounds like you have not yet created a home group. Does the Network and sharing center say "Joined" next to the Home Group entry?

Is you network set up to be a Home network and not a Public Network?

Did you run the troubleshooter?

Windows cannot leave homegroup-!

Dear Sir,

I am sorry for the delay in replying. Let me explain. I have created a homegroup on desktop PC running Windows 7 64 bits. I created a homegroup as administrator. Later on, when I try to join it Windows fails to connect to other computers, even though I complete sharing of my folders on Administrator account.
Second thing I observed is that the password is not there when I go to see it using the wizard. If I type something as a password or change by clicking change the password link, it fails to accept the new one.
Therefore I used troubleshooter which also fails to detect the problems in the settings. As far as network settings are concerned, I have created a Internet Connection sharing using a Dlink router along with ADSL modem. I can use the connection to update windows and applications on my laptop.
But I can not move ahead by creating a workgroup. As I said earlier, it also fails to leave the homegroup.
Can you please let me know where the problem lies?
Further I have created my network as a home network only.

Last edited:
From an elevated CMD prompt.
Net stop p2pimsvc /y

Then delete the following file.
"C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking\idstore.sst"

reboot and you should be able to leave the homegroup or rejoin it.

Worked for me anyway

OK, I will try again, although I do not think I can help.

Please answer these questions. Do not restate your original problem, since that does not help.

When you open Network and sharing center and click the "joined" link, does the "Change Home Group Settings" window open?

If so, what do you see when you click on "Leave the Homegroup"? You should get a window with three options. From what you seem to be saying, if you click on "Leave the homegroup", you get an error stating you cannot leave the group, is that correct?

Have you made sure you have left the homegroup on the laptop?

Have you run the Homegroup troubleshooter?

Windows can not leave the homegroup

Thanks. You are right. The problem is just as you stated. In change homegroup setting when I click leave the homegroup, the windows shows windows cannot leave the homegroup. I have also left the homegroup on my laptop.

What did the homegroup troubleshooter say?

You are running as an admininstrative user?

I think we both agree your situation is not normal for Win 7 so maybe try some more drastic things.

Lets start with disabling the Homegroup. When you do this you will need to enable it again, so keep track of the steps.

Open Group Policy. Type gpedit.msc in the start menu search box and hit enter.
Go to Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\HomeGroup
Click on policy setting
select Disabled

OK you way back out and reboot.

You should no longer see the Homegroup node, but I have not done this and cannot tell you exactly what to look for.

Now go back and do the same procedure except select Not Configured, then reboot.

(This same thing can also be accomplished by changing your network type to Work and rebooting).

If this does not help, try running the System File Checker from an administrative command prompt.

Type cmd in the Start Menu search box and hit CTRL+Shift Enter. Type the following, hit enter and wait for it to finish:

SFC /scannow

If there is a corrupted file in your system, hopefully it will be replaced.

Maybe try changing you workgroup name to something else and then back.

I will keep looking for a solution, but if you can't get it fixed, the option of doing a Repair Install is available, although it does require a re-activation.

Open services.msc
Scroll down and disable both homegroup services. Reboot and the hme group will be gone.
You can now reenable the homegroup services and establish a new one.

Windows cannot leave the homegroup!

I typed gpedit but windows returned the message that it can't find gpedit command. Further in mmc, group policy editor snap-in is NOT AVAILABLE!!!

Windows cannot leave the homegroup!

I typed gpedit.msc but windows returned the message that it can't find gpedit command. Further group policy editor snap-in is not available in MMC. What can I do now?:(

OK, if doing as RAK suggests does not work use the other method.

Open Network and Sharing Center. Click on "Home network: and select Work network.

Reboot, then change it back to Home Network and reboot again. This is supposed to delete the Home Group items. Since I have never done it, I do not know if it will help.

It would be nice if you could attach a snipping tool picture of your Network and Sharing Center window. If something is private, just use paint or the snipping tool utility to cover it.

I just tried both recommendations, and although they did remove the Homegroup definition, when the service was restarted or the trouble shooter restored the homegroup, the Joined annotation returned. So I have not yet found what needs to be altered to fix your problem.

During the trouble shooter activity, I did get the attached window. You might go through the possible problems and see if anything applies to you. Of course this is to fix the problem, not remove it.

I will keep looking for something and post back if I find something.

Hello saltsgrass,

I was searching the forum and found this post, I am having the exact same probwith my homegroup and have had no luck resolving. I have windows 7 prof. and am running 64 bit. I have gone through all of your solutions and have had no luck. Is there anything else you could recommend short of a installation fix?

Thanks,

Sorry, I do not have a fix for you situation. I did see in another forum where someone stopped the provider service then quit the homegroup and it worked. I believe stopping that service is discussed here.

Maybe stopping the IPv6 protocol would allow a solution.

There is probably some registry setting that is causing the problem, but I have no way to track it down.

ok everyone interested in this problem...
i tried this... hope it works for u 2...
click start...
in the search box type "services.msc" without the quotation marks...
RIGHT click on "peer networking grouping"
go to properties...
the logon tab up the top of the new window it pops up...
click this account and in the box next to it type "Local Service"... (again without the quotation marks)
in the password tab's DELETE them!!! BOTH!
CLICK OK
bellow that is "peer networking Identity manager" (do the same...)
go to properties...
the logon tab up the top of the new window it pops up...
click this account and in the box next to it type "Local Service"... (again without the quotation marks)
in the password tab's DELETE them!!! BOTH!
CLICK OK
and then exit (it auto saves with win 7)

that worked for me...
I now again have proper access to the homegroup settings! i can leave and view the password... previously i could not... hope this help you guys out... :)

Last edited:
OK, I will try again, although I do not think I can help.

Please answer these questions. Do not restate your original problem, since that does not help.

When you open Network and sharing center and click the "joined" link, does the "Change Home Group Settings" window open? there is no join link

If so, what do you see when you click on "Leave the Homegroup"? You should get a window with three options. From what you seem to be saying, if you click on "Leave the homegroup", you get an error stating you cannot leave the group, is that correct?

it says unable to remove the computer from the homegroup.

Have you made sure you have left the homegroup on the laptop? cant leave it.

Have you run the Homegroup troubleshooter?
yes numerous times, I even have done all the safe mode suggestion, removing files in that one location, tried starting services, changed the selection to a specific account, all of that.

Nothing seems to let me leave the homegroup. when I click on homegroup it just says
"no other homegroup computers are available"

Ive disabled virus software, disabled, enabled windows firewall, neither situation works. I even uninstalled the virus software....still nothing.

simply deleting those files, does nothing. Im still unable to enable certain services.

Back