Windows 7 Windows doesnt start, loader keeps rebooting

intrelis

Eee PC 1025c
Windows 7 starter + Ubuntu 10.04

Yesterday the notebook was working properly. I turned it off the way it's written in the books and everything seemed OK. But this morning when I tried to power it up, the Asus logo appeared, then Atheros boot agent, Asus logo again, and finally black screen with a horizontal blinking white cursor. It keeps blinking for about a minute, then reboots. I tried booting a Ubuntu live USB that I know works and has never given me errors, but now I got "aufs mount failed no space left on /root". I am starting to think it's either the HDD or the motherboard failing. Any ideas? What could happen overnight when the notebook wasn't even being used?

It sounds like there might be a few issues at play here with your ASUS Eee PC 1025c. The symptoms you described could point to several possible causes, such as a failing hard drive or a motherboard issue. Let's break down the possible reasons for the behavior you're experiencing:

1. Hard Drive Failure:
- The error message you received when trying to boot from the Ubuntu live USB ("aufs mount failed no space left on /root") suggests that there may be no available space on the root partition. This could indicate a problem with the hard drive's storage capacity. It's possible that there are bad sectors on the hard drive, causing filesystem errors.

2. Corrupted Boot Configuration:
- The continuous reboot cycle and the blinking cursor on a black screen could also be caused by a corrupted boot configuration on the hard drive. This could happen due to sudden power loss or other issues that interrupt the boot process.

3. Motherboard Issues:
- If the hard drive seems to be working properly after testing it on another system, the problem might lie with the motherboard. Issues with the motherboard can cause boot failures and erratic behavior during startup.

Given these potential causes, here are some steps you can take to diagnose and potentially resolve the issue:

- Run a Hard Drive Diagnostic:
- If possible, remove the hard drive from the ASUS Eee PC and connect it to another computer as a secondary drive. Run disk diagnostic tools to check for any bad sectors or errors on the drive.

- Check the Boot Configuration:
- Boot into a recovery environment or use a Windows installation USB to repair the boot configuration on the hard drive. This can help fix any corrupted boot files that might be causing the boot loop.

- Inspect the Motherboard:
- If you suspect motherboard issues, visually inspect the motherboard for any signs of physical damage or blown capacitors. Sometimes, simply reseating components like RAM and the hard drive can help resolve connection issues.

- Backup Important Data:
- If you can access the hard drive from another system, make sure to back up any important data as soon as possible to prevent potential data loss.

After performing these steps, if the issue persists, it may be best to consult a professional technician for further diagnosis and repair, especially if it's a hardware-related problem.

Back