Windows 10 Windows freezing everytime it restarts after an update?

Azaleus

Hi guys, new member here so apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place (I also know absolutely nothing about Windows so might have to put things quite simply for me!!)

Long story short, I've been having some issues with a game crashing so I posted my dxDiag on a forum for that game and someone pointed out to me that my Windows build is actually 2 years out of date and asked me why I won't update it. Truthfully, I never even knew this so I tried to update it there and then, which reminded me why I have never done it!!
For two years now, my computer will constantly remind me about Windows updates that need doing but whenever I try to install them nothing seems to happen. This is because my computer will download the update, attempt to install it and then when my laptop restarts, it gets stuck on the same screen forever until I power off the PC. My laptop is from a custom gaming company (Scan) so it comes up with some custom screen upon restarting and it just seems to always get stuck. I've tried to go into safemode and to exit using task manager but nothing happens, so I have no choice but to power off using the button, and power on again. Then it always tells me the updates have failed as my PC didn't restart properly.
For two years I havent seen it as an issue and just ignored it but now that it's been brought to my attention I have no idea how to fix it!! Any help is appreciated.

I would use the upgrade assistant.

If it does not upgrade then I would check the following
  • Run sfc /scannow and make sure there is no OS corruption
  • Update your firmware (BIOS or UEFI) to the latest version
  • Update all drivers
  • Remove all extra peripherals (especially external storage devices)
  • Potentially disable any security software (uncommon)

I would use the upgrade assistant.

If it does not upgrade then I would check the following
  • Run sfc /scannow and make sure there is no OS corruption
  • Update your firmware (BIOS or UEFI) to the latest version
  • Update all drivers
  • Remove all extra peripherals (especially external storage devices)
  • Potentially disable any security software (uncommon)
Thanks so much for your reply, I never even knew the upgrade assistant existed, I'm giving that a go now and if it doesn't work I'll try your other steps.

So the upgrade assistant sadly didn't work. When my pc attempted to restart it got stuck on the custom startup page and when I got into my pc the windows version was the same and the update failed. When I ran sfc /scannow it said it found no problems :/

Back