Windows 7 Windows Intalled updates, now no internet connection

TwoFours

Hi - I've tried Google searching this but don't think I found an answer for me. My computer was built by CyperPowerPC a year ago. Have had zero problems with it until some updates were automatically put in a month or so ago. After the install, my pc still was showing that I was connnected to the internet, except my browser (firefox) would not load any pages.

I restored the system back to a previous point to fix this. But have since restarted my machine and the problem came back (didn't realize the updates got installed automatically on reboot). My question is what do I do as a permanant fix in lieu of system restore? I think the updates causing the problem are related to security reasons. I ran anti malware and it found and deleted 2 things but still no help.

I think there were 20 or so updates that got installed, how do I know which is the problem? (if it is the updates at all). I can get more info tonight (ie specific update names) if needed.

Thank you in advance

TwoFours

Hi TwoFours and Welcome to The Forum,

Do not have Windows update set to the Install update automatically (recommended) setting.

I have "Never check for updates (not recommended)" as my setting. I know that Windows releases main updates on the second Tuesday of every month, and, apart from that, it takes a few seconds to initiate Windows Update to see if it's offering anything. At the maximum setting I would suggest "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them".

You can then install them in little groups of 3 or 4, and ignore any you don't need (like drivers from Microsoft).

Do the System Restore again, if it doesn't work, then go to Safe Mode and run it. Turn off your modem/router before your system boots to Normal Mode while you "disable" Auto Updates as above. Then switch it back on.

HTH.

Last edited:
I actually had it set to "check for updates but let me choose.." They got updated I guess when I shut off my system when I went away for the weekend. So, I will do the restore and then only download the updates I need? What about the updates that say something along the lines of "a problem has been found that may allow someone to access your pc". THose sound critical but I have a hunch it had something to do with it. Not really sure. I will revert back after system restore. Thanks

TwoFours;
Hello and welcome to the forums.
It's likely that the windows update utility has installed a driver for your network adapter that may not be the best one to be using.
First try this;
type
advanced system settings
into the search box produced by clicking the Windows 7 start orb and hit enter
select the hardware tab and then the
Device Installation Settings Button, then
select the radio button that says
No, let me choose what to do, and then
the radio button that says
Never install driver software from Windows Update, and then the
Save Changes button
Now click the Device Manager button
Expand Network Adapters
select then right click the problem adapter and choose properties
Then select the Driver tab
click the Roll Back Driver button and then Yes
Reboot the computer and see if that helps.
Additionally if you can provide any specifics regarding the Manufacturer, Model Name/Number of the adapter that you are using we might be able to help you acquire the most recent proper driver for your adapter. Try using the system information utility.
Type
msinfo32 into the search box and hit enter
expand Components
expand Network
select Adapter
in the right pane locate the problem adapter
copy and paste the information regarding
Name
PNP Device ID
Driver
into your next post (Ctrl + C and Ctrl + V)
like mine says
Name [00000007] Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_E0001458&REV_03\4&3694E160&0&00A9
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\rt64win7.sys (7.46.610.2011, 526.60 KB (539,240 bytes), 7/14/2011 1:30 PM)

If you do them in small groups with say, an hour or two between each group, you'll find the culprit, if there is one!

Sometimes doing them on mass gives an error that you will not see when installed separately.

So, I will do the restore and then only download the updates I need?
Yes, don't get drivers from there.

What about the updates that say something along the lines of "a problem has been found that may allow someone to access your pc".
That is what I'd call a security update and you should install it.

Hi Again, thanks so much for the advice. This whole thing is driving me nuts.

ok so when i went to roll back the driver, the button was greyed out. suggesting maybe that microsoft didnt install a driver that screwed this all up?

i went to msinfo to get the driver info. i'm pretty sure this is the one (there were at least 12 different dirvers listed):

No internet so copy/pasting wasn't possible, typing it out below:
NAME - [00000007] Intel(R) 82578DC Gigabit Network Connection

PNP Device ID - PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_10F0&SUBSYS_00753842&REV_05\3&11583659&0&C8

DRIVER - c:\windows\system32\drivers\e1k62x64.sys(11.2.19.0,277.17KB(283,824 bytes)

I must have done something wrong with system restore because now I dont have a restore point that goes far enough back to July when the initial changes were made by microsoft auto update.

thanks

Steve

Check here http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Sea...ductProduct=Intel®+82578+Gigabit+Ethernet+PHY
Scroll and select windows 7, that should produce two downloads, choose Network Adapter Driver for Windows 7 7/21/2011, that should take you to a page with both 64 and 32 bit downloads, I'm guessing you'll need the 64 bit one given the information above.
Download and install it and see if that provides any relief from the problem. If not post back and we'll see what else we can determine.
After the driver install if the problem persists open a command prompt and type
ipconfig /all
copy and paste (or do whatever necessary to attach the results to your next post, we're mainly interested in the information pertinent to your specific problem adapter.
also while you are at the command prompt type
ping 64.233.169.99
let us know the results (looking for something like sent 4 received 4 lost 9)
also open a browser window and paste this into the address / URL bar and hit enter
let us know what happens.

Check here http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Ethernet+Components&ProductLine=Ethernet+Controllers&ProductProduct=Intel®+82578+Gigabit+Ethernet+PHY
Scroll and select windows 7, that should produce two downloads, choose Network Adapter Driver for Windows 7 7/21/2011, that should take you to a page with both 64 and 32 bit downloads, I'm guessing you'll need the 64 bit one given the information above.
Download and install it and see if that provides any relief from the problem. If not post back and we'll see what else we can determine.
After the driver install if the problem persists open a command prompt and type
ipconfig /all
copy and paste (or do whatever necessary to attach the results to your next post, we're mainly interested in the information pertinent to your specific problem adapter.
also while you are at the command prompt type
ping 64.233.169.99
let us know the results (looking for something like sent 4 received 4 lost 9)
also open a browser window and paste this into the address / URL bar and hit enter
let us know what happens.

will i be able to go to that link without having an internet connection?

NO but you obviously have an internet connection since you are participating in this forum, so you can acquire the file on whatever computer you are using currently, and place it on a USB thumb drive or burn it to a CD.

NO but you obviously have an internet connection since you are participating in this forum, so you can acquire the file on whatever computer you are using currently, and place it on a USB thumb drive or burn it to a CD.

i knew that...just was crazy day at work and it did not even pop into my mind while responding. derrrrrrr. thanks for your help will let you know how it goes.

ok problem still present after download.
ping results, 4 sent, 4 received, 0 lost
i will type up the rest tomorrow night when i have time, thanks.

Hi

The first thing I would do it go into the Network and Sharing Center.

Right click on the connection icon on your task bar and select Network Sharing Center.

Select Change Adapter Setting, then select your connection and click Disable this Network Device.
Wait for ten seconds and select Enable this Network Device.

If your connection doesn't come up,

Then Right Click on the Desktop select Personalize and select Control Panel Home.
In Control Panel, Type "Device Manager" in the search window.

Select Device Manger And find your Network Adapter.
Right click on it and select Uninstall.

When it's done removing it, restart your computer and let Windows reinstall and select the drivers for you device on it's own.

I would expect it to start working, if it doesn't look for any kind of message about why it couldn't activate or install it.

Mike

ok problem still present after download.
ping results, 4 sent, 4 received, 0 lost
i will type up the rest tomorrow night when i have time, thanks.
If you can successfully ping the Google IP address that I supplied earlier, then that would suggest that there is nothing wrong with your network as you can successfully communicate with a node outside your own subnet.
It's most likely a problem with DNS resolution. To confirm this please open Internet Explorer and type the following ip into the address bar and hit enter
If the basic Google page opens then you need to check a couple other things
First for the existence of a software product call mDNSresponder.exe
Open task manager and select the processes tab and then click the button that says "Show processes for a all users" look for mdnsresponder under the Image name column. If present type
services.msc
into the search or run box and hit enter
Scroll as needed and look for Bonjour Service
or an alpha numeric string value at the top of the services list something similiar to
##Id_String1.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B879762## (yours might be slightly different.
If either or both are present double click them, set the startup type to disable and click the stop button.
Second, check for black hole proxy server.
Open IE9, hit the Alt key on your keyboard and from the menu select tools->internet options->Connections Tab->LAN settings button
Uncheck everything and OK your way back out of there. Close and reopen IE9 and see if that makes a difference.

If you can successfully ping the Google IP address that I supplied earlier, then that would suggest that there is nothing wrong with your network as you can successfully communicate with a node outside your own subnet.
It's most likely a problem with DNS resolution. To confirm this please open Internet Explorer and type the following ip into the address bar and hit enter
If the basic Google page opens then you need to check a couple other things
First for the existence of a software product call mDNSresponder.exe
Open task manager and select the processes tab and then click the button that says "Show processes for a all users" look for mdnsresponder under the Image name column. If present type
services.msc
into the search or run box and hit enter
Scroll as needed and look for Bonjour Service
or an alpha numeric string value at the top of the services list something similiar to
##Id_String1.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B879762## (yours might be slightly different.
If either or both are present double click them, set the startup type to disable and click the stop button.
Second, check for black hole proxy server.
Open IE9, hit the Alt key on your keyboard and from the menu select tools->internet options->Connections Tab->LAN settings button
Uncheck everything and OK your way back out of there. Close and reopen IE9 and see if that makes a difference.

the ip did not work. should i try that other stuff you mentioned? thanks again i appreciate it.

Well trying the other stuff won't hurt, but it would seem my premise of DNS being at issue is not accurate.
Please confirm, you can ping
and receive four replys with zero loss
but typing that same thing into the browser will not produce the standard google search page? Is that correct?
Take a look at your hosts file here
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts
you can open it in notepad
examine it for any lines that are not proceeded by a hash symbol "#"
it should basically look like this
Code:
# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host
# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
# 127.0.0.1       localhost
# ::1             localhost
If any other lines are present please remove them for now, you can copy and paste them into another notepad .txt file and save as hosts.bak to preserve them if you'd like. You may also have to remove the readonly attribute from the file before you will be able to save any edit you make to the actual file itself.
Also follow-up on Mike's suggestions especially to scan with malwarebytes

Last edited:
Well trying the other stuff won't hurt, but it would seem my premise of DNS being at issue is not accurate.
Please confirm, you can ping
and receive four replys with zero loss
but typing that same thing into the browser will not produce the standard google search page? Is that correct?
Take a look at your hosts file here
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts
you can open it in notepad
examine it for any lines that are not proceeded by a hash symbol "#"
it should basically look like this
Code:
# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host
# 127.0.0.1       localhost
# ::1             localhost
If any other lines are present please remove them for now, you can copy and paste them into another notepad .txt file and save as hosts.bak to preserve them if you'd like. You may also have to remove the readonly attribute from the file before you will be able to save any edit you make to the actual file itself.
Also follow-up on Mike's suggestions especially to scan with malwarebytes

my file was exactly the same as your except for a blank line above this line:

malwarebytes was actually unable to update. i had to save one to a disk from my laptop in order to update it. it found 2 things and removed them but no luck with the connection.

One more time, please confirm so I'm sure I understand
You can ping 64.233.169.99 and receive four replies with no (0) loss but entering that same address into the address bar of IE9 will not bring up a google search page? Is that correct??

Reboot the computer into safemode with networking (tapping the F8 key as the machine is restarting) check your ability to browse by clicking the StartOrb->All Programs->Accessories->System Tools->Internet Explorer (No Addons).
Any change?

Back