Windows 10 Windows Live Mail URL Link Stalls Edge

dustymars

My Dell Inspiron 15 3000-3552 (Win-10, v20H2) developed a weird problem a couple of updates ago. I still use Win Live Mail-2012 (WLM) and the new Edge, so when I click a URL link in an e-mail it starts Edge but stalls out forever. Of course, I reinstalled Edge and WLM with no help. However, when Edge is up and rerunning a link works fine. Weird to say the least. Any suggestions?

Live Mail is out of support for a long time now. Using it now may cause it to stall. You will have to switch to another mail app. Try the W10 mail app. I have not seen that the old WLM also stalls Edge, but it has to do with a network mail protocol, so who knows.

And welcome to this forum!

Last edited:
Thanks, I have tried several mail programs and still like WLM best; but, it may be time to change. BTW, links work well when I use Chrome as default, and the URL indicates the link is "unidentified," so I will troubleshoot the problem at that angle. I like Thunderbird mail but getting my contacts imported is like solving the Rubix cube. Plus I'm to old to be interested. Thanks anyway.

Jeff

Since Windows Live Mail (WLM) is old and being phased out and eventually it will not work. I tried Outlook, Win Mail, Opera and Thunderbird but found they are too hard to navigate and set up. Then I found eM Client that works great and is nearly like WLM. It impiorts from WLM very nearly. Open up Microsoft Store then search for eM Client and get it. It will download then open and run setup. I think you will like it. How say yawl?

Since Windows Live Mail (WLM) is old and being phased out and eventually it will not work.
Will be....it already is. MS doesn't have it for installing anymore. You can still download it from other sites and use it at your peril. In doing so, you will encounter more and more errors like you're getting now.

May I suggest trying the Windows 10 Mail App that is built into the OS. It's simple to use, simple to add accounts and very user friendly.

Will be....it already is. MS doesn't have it for installing anymore. You can still download it from other sites and use it at your peril. In doing so, you will encounter more and more errors like you're getting now.

May I suggest trying the Windows 10 Mail App that is built into the OS. It's simple to use, simple to add accounts and very user friendly.
You may suggest using 10 Mail App all you want; I will not use it, thank you.

Thanks for letting us know which email client you found.

You are right, just because the W10 app is there, does not make it the easiest to use. I went to outlook, just because I got used to it on my latest job, retired now...
And I think it to be a shame the MS dropped WML that easy.

Enjoy your eM client.

Well, I feel your pain :D I retired 20 years ago. Started putzing around computers in 1960 and still hate them. Searching around for some email program that closely fit WLM I found that eM Client was nearly it and to my surprise when I synced up it listed WLM and grabbed all the emails, settings and contacts! That is a minor miracle. Thunderbird is just too hard to get used to. MS Mail is on my start window and it is the first I check, but just to see if any mail is in the bucket. I admit to being too old to change and at 80 change is not in the winds, :)

Back