Windows 7 Windows software can't connect to the internet

johannlynx

I have formatted 5 times and reinstalled windows 7
everything starts working perfect but after some time
windows internet explorer , desktop gadgets,action center , windows live messenger
and all programs related to windows can't use the internet
(only windows update works apparently)

i tried installing different programs each time i formatted but eventually it happened
all of a sudden windows programs lost connectivity

i thought was a problem of compatibility with some of the programs i had
i changed antivirus , checked after installing each program
but i could find nothing

last time i formatted after around 1 hour windows programs had no internet
and i had installed only firefox

my wife's laptop has the same programs i have installed and her laptop with windows 7
is working perfect

i have internet and is working good in non windows programs
like firefox and other programs i have tested

any one is having problems with windows programs connectivity ?
if so how to solve it ?
any suggestions ?

PS, i attach pictures where you can see firefox working next to internet explorer broken

Last edited:
goto control panel - internet options - connections tab - shouldnt be anything set on this first page unless you use dial up.
select the lan settings button and set that to automatically detect settings,

Last edited:
goto control panel - internet options - connections tab - shouldnt be anything set on this first page unless you use dial up.
select the lan settings button and set that to automatically detect settings,

went there everything is as u said and lan was already set to automatically detect settings

but the problem is not exclusive of the internet explorer, the problem is related to windows programs
windows live messenger, action center, gadgets that require internet
check the images i attached to the first post

all those programs source their internet settings from that page.

try hitting the setup button at the top and make a new connection.

I would personally leave your machine default ( with tweaks in windows ) from the start. After installing each application or addon I would reboot and try them out for a day and see where the offending application is. Just by looking at your screenies it looks ( bad assumption ) like you have a ton of STUFF installed on your machine. If that is what you like then fine, but if you want it to work I might tone it down a bit until it gets outta beta and more applications are readily available for windows 7. Something is obviously causing the issue with internet connection. Maybe you have not done all the updates.. Maybe the NIC is being seen and loading a driver that is incompatible. Maybe you have a virus that has lingered since the first install and is shutting down the network connection. Lots of possibilities.. who knows.. Rootkit virus? For you to have installed 5 new times and keep having the same problem, I would install windows 7 once more.. Then each time you install something new no matter how small, reboot. See if you still have access. Something is causing the issue and it is either something you are installing or a hardware problem. ( guessing ).

I would personally leave your machine default ( with tweaks in windows ) from the start. After installing each application or addon I would reboot and try them out for a day and see where the offending application is. Just by looking at your screenies it looks ( bad assumption ) like you have a ton of STUFF installed on your machine. If that is what you like then fine, but if you want it to work I might tone it down a bit until it gets outta beta and more applications are readily available for windows 7. Something is obviously causing the issue with internet connection. Maybe you have not done all the updates.. Maybe the NIC is being seen and loading a driver that is incompatible. Maybe you have a virus that has lingered since the first install and is shutting down the network connection. Lots of possibilities.. who knows.. Rootkit virus? For you to have installed 5 new times and keep having the same problem, I would install windows 7 once more.. Then each time you install something new no matter how small, reboot. See if you still have access. Something is causing the issue and it is either something you are installing or a hardware problem. ( guessing ).

u r guessing wrong , i have done the updates everything is normal besides the problem i'm telling, i'm interested in testing the beta n as far as i know the idea of the beta is of installing all the applications u use everyday n report back to microsoft which ones r incompatible, as far as i know the idea of the beta is to find the problems that it has n contribute pointing them out , so when it is finally released it can work great, if ur idea of a beta tester is dnt install anything ....

what u say that i have a virus , no i dnt have one and i'm not the only one having this kind of problem
look here
http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-software/1596-windows-live-messenger-error-new-post.html

i think is something related to the fingerprint ,i'm not sure , i did it everytime i installed a
new application test if it worked for some time, i know the problem is not something i have installed
cuz my wife is testing windows 7 too , i installed it in her laptop n she has almost the same
programs i have on mine n in her laptop she has had no problems.

i dnt have plans of formating anymore, i only want to hear from ppl that is having the same problem
n have found a solution or is searching for a solution, may b we can check what we have in common
n find out what is causing it

The idea of beta testing IS to install what you normall/ not normally use and see if it works.. However, since MS could really care less what programs you install that are not Microsoft's I would not worry to much about those applications. If you want to do anyone a favor you should install the application and then let the company whose app it is know there is a problem. I really don't see MS contacting Adobe to let them know that their software has a problem in WINDOWS 7 and that adobe needs to fix it.. Chances are that adobe developers have installed windows 7 far before you got this beta and already know the problems are and working on a resolution.

So... let's be honest, your really not testing anything for anyone other then yourself and seeing if your applications are going to be working when you do install windows 7. Microsoft is merely giving the public the ability to take some responsibility and have YOU contact your 3rd party developers and get them rolling on a final fix. Well, that's my opinion.

Most of the people I have come in contact with want to run windows 7 on their machines and are just looking for a fix for the applications they want to use. Not really beta testing at all.. So excuse me for making some suggestions under that presumption.

I have been in this business for over 20 years and worked on 1000's of machines ( home and corporate ) and I can tell you this much.. People load to much crap and expect it all to work. It's quite common and if it doesn't work they blame the OS.

Installing one application and rebooting each time and testing out the machine for awhile is the best solution I can find to figuring out what may be causing the disconnect. The problem today is everyone is a genius on their computer only until they find someone that really knows what they are doing.. and even then they won't listen...

Good luck...

i just had this same problem. for the last few weeks, IE and all native/3rd party apps that rely on it refused to connect. Firefox and many other programs are worked fine.

the solution is a bit odd, but here's what to do:

goto control panel - internet options - connections tab - LAN settings
then uncheck automatically detect settings

as soon as i did this, IE started working, my sidebar gadgets were able to connect again, and a few 3rd party apps that couldn't connect before were working as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom