Windows 7 Windows Update 'checking for updates' but never finds any...

IgoZoom9

Windows Update is stuck in "Checking for updates" and never finds any.....

I won't bore you with all the details, but I had some issues and I allowed a Microsoft Tech agent reinstall Windows remotely. It took care of the issues I was having previously, but now Windows Update isn't working. I know there are hundreds of potential updates that need to be installed.

I've tried using the MS FixIt tool, the Troubleshooter in Windows, manually resetting all components of Windows Update and updating to the latest Windows Update Agent. Still not working!

Anyone have advice on how I should proceed? If I don't find a solution, I'll have no choice but to contact MS support again.....and I'm trying to avoid that if at all possible...

Thanks in advance!

welcome to the forum
IgoZoom9
lets check what is your last update and date do you know how to do that, if not i will give some instarction.

Last edited:
Let me ask you have you set power Options to "never" and then waited at least 24 hours to check for updates?
I would bet not as Windows 7 updates lately are taking as much as 24 hours just to find what is available. And then could even be another 24 hours to install. We suspect its the extra traffic on the download servers due to all the Windows 10 downloads that may be causing this.

Let me ask you have you set power Options to "never" and then waited at least 24 hours to check for updates?
I would bet not as Windows 7 updates lately are taking as much as 24 hours just to find what is available. And then could even be another 24 hours to install. We suspect its the extra traffic on the download servers due to all the Windows 10 downloads that may be causing this.

When you refer to setting power options to 'Never', are you referring to setting Windows Updates to never check for updates? If not, I am confused.

I've been giving up after 2-3 hours of "Checking for Updates". By that point, it's using 3GB of memory, over 50% of CPU cycles and the cooling fan is running at top speed! I have the Power Setting configured for High Performance and nothing non-essential is running at the same time.

But according to Belarc Advisor, I'm missing over 140 updates and more than 10 of them are 'Critical'. I've never had to install anywhere near that number of updates at one time before, so I may not be giving it enough time to find and download all of them.

The 'broken' Windows 7 updates also explains a lot. I'm hoping that's the main issue and when they finally fix it, I won't have any other issues. We'll see....

No, Control Panel, Power Options to "never" to prevent power management from closing system down to sleep....
Even when things come back it still may take overnight to see what is available and again to install them. This has been going on for alomst a year now not quite as long with Windows 8.1 but still a long time to complete.

I Usedto do in that case MSConfig, disabled all the non microsoft services, restarted. Restart a Windows Update, and it worked. Look to simple, but hey, no comment.

Start - Run

Type : MSConfig<enter>

System configuration window appear

click on Services tab - look at the bottom of the box and mark Hide all Microsoft services

Then click Disable All - That will disable every services listed

Apply the change - and Restart

Once logged back in, Do a Windows Update...

Hopefully it will work for you to

After the updates has been applied - Redo the MSConfig procedure to enable everything on your system

Good luck (IGOZOOM9)

at times there are some services that are interfering with the update just to say one antivirus software. i used that a lot at work
hi and good to see you
holddum333

Hi! As I said it won't hurt any thing to try a clean boot. I just have never heard using it to get install windows up dates to install.
Mostly used for BSOD issues or freezes.;)

No, Control Panel, Power Options to "never" to prevent power management from closing system down to sleep....
Even when things come back it still may take overnight to see what is available and again to install them. This has been going on for alomst a year now not quite as long with Windows 8.1 but still a long time to complete.

Gotcha. Yes, I have my system setup to NEVER Sleep or Hibernate when it's running on AC power. It's a laptop/notebook/ultrabook (or whatever the heck we're supposed to call them now) and I only have it configured to Sleep after 60 minutes on Battery.

My previous system (Dell Latitude 6430u) and my current one (Latitude E7440) run Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. I've had WinUpdate issues before, especially in the last 9-12 months, but it was intermittent until now. I hadn't heard until now that there have been issues with Windows Updates as a whole....although it doesn't surprise me a bit...

Thanks again for the input from everyone!

Ok that is the right way to do this then just let it sit there "checking for updates" over night once Windows UPdate is working again and you wil be fine

Good news! I started the check for Windows Updates (and chose the download and let me choose which to install option) this morning around 10am. I came back at 3pm and it had downloaded 219 updates, 212 of which I installed!

Good news! I started the check for Windows Updates (and chose the download and let me choose which to install option) this morning around 10am. I came back at 3pm and it had downloaded 219 updates, 212 of which I installed!
Hi W7 up dates are behaving really bad recently. I'm thinking it's because of load and demand, but I really don't know that.:D

Back
Top Bottom