Windows 7 Wireless icon gone

Keith Pinion

I am having an issue with my win 7 system. I no longer get the wireless icon. I can still connect to all wireless networks just like before but my icon is the standard lan icon. I can no longer right click on the wireless network and select status. It's there but nothing happens. What happened to my wireless icon?

I've already uninstalled and reinstalled all network devices/drivers and downloaded new drivers.

Can someone help me?

As I am sure you know, the icon is supposed to represent whichever type of Network Adapter you are using. If it is showing the wired version, have you checked your network adapters and made sure the Wireless one was enabled?

You might try disabling the wired adapter and then disabling and re-enabling the wireless one.

If you still can't get it to work, perhaps a third party utility is related, or possibly some type of system corruption.

So make sure you have run the anti-virus scans, and open an Administrative command prompt, and use the SFC /scannow command to check your system files. If it reports any errors, let us know.

Well weird thing is there is no wireless adapter shown under network connections. All i have is a bluetooth one that i have disabled. There is no built in ethernet either. I can go to the device manger and it shows a broadcom wireless adapter and everything is fine. I ran system file scan and it come back fine. No viruses or third party utilities either.

As I am sure you know, the icon is supposed to represent whichever type of Network Adapter you are using. If it is showing the wired version, have you checked your network adapters and made sure the Wireless one was enabled?

You might try disabling the wired adapter and then disabling and re-enabling the wireless one.

If you still can't get it to work, perhaps a third party utility is related, or possibly some type of system corruption.

So make sure you have run the anti-virus scans, and open an Administrative command prompt, and use the SFC /scannow command to check your system files. If it reports any errors, let us know.

I really wouldn't mind but i manage a lot of wireless networks at my job and really need to get to the properties of the wireless adapter. I usually right click the wireless network, go to status, then properties. This doesn't come up any more since the icon changed. I'm confused i've tried everything and i hate to re install just because of this.

It is strange that you seem to have network connectivity, without any network adapters showing in the Network Connections (ncpa.cpl) panel.

Have you turned off any startup programs, or edited the registry lately?

What does the Network and Sharing Center show for a type of network. If it is a wireless one, there should be an option to manage wireless networks in the upper left of the window.

All I can suggest you do, is uninstall the wireless adapter from Device Management. When you do, also remove all drivers for it. Hopefully Windows will find it again, or you can load your driver.

Edit: There is a service responsible for the wireless configuration. You might check to see if it is running. Open the Services.msc panel and see if the WLAN AutoConfig (WLANSVC) service is running.

Last edited:
Nothing in the startup that is disabled relates to wireless networking (or networking in general)

I have the option to view and manage wireless networks.

I have already uninstalled reinstalled. even downloaded the drivers from the site with no luck.

That service was not running but I enabled in and set it to automatic. Still the same issue.

It's crazy bc it is working just fine. just the wrong icon and cannot get to the wireless adapters properties. And its missing under network adapters (when clicking change adapter settings, but it IS in the device manager)

This is driving me nuts!!

It is strange that you seem to have network connectivity, without any network adapters showing in the Network Connections (ncpa.cpl) panel.

Have you turned off any startup programs, or edited the registry lately?

What does the Network and Sharing Center show for a type of network. If it is a wireless one, there should be an option to manage wireless networks in the upper left of the window.

All I can suggest you do, is uninstall the wireless adapter from Device Management. When you do, also remove all drivers for it. Hopefully Windows will find it again, or you can load your driver.

Edit: There is a service responsible for the wireless configuration. You might check to see if it is running. Open the Services.msc panel and see if the WLAN AutoConfig (WLANSVC) service is running.

Have you tried opening the panel from the "Run" dialog? As Saltgrass suggested hit Start -> Run -> ncpa.cpl
Does anything open?

This opens the Network Connections Window. Only thing in there is a bluetooth connection that i have disabled.

Have you tried opening the panel from the "Run" dialog? As Saltgrass suggested hit Start -> Run -> ncpa.cpl
Does anything open?

Uhm... How about an ipconfig /all from the command prompt? Does that give you anything on your wifi connection?
What kind of wifi card are you using?

ipconfig does give me the address, gateway, etc for the wireless connection. I'm using a Broadcom wireless adapter. This is in a Macbook Air that I'm using bootcamp with. Everything worked fine a week or so ago then i noticed this issue.

Uhm... How about an ipconfig /all from the command prompt? Does that give you anything on your wifi connection?
What kind of wifi card are you using?

Hi, sorry for the delay!
Did you install any windows updates since it was running correctly? Or OSX Bootcamp updates? Anything that might have influenced Windows' behavior? Did you try restoring a previous system restore point?
Did you try manually specifying the driver as per instructions here: www[dot]macwindows[dot]com/bootcamp3.html#112509c?

Last edited:
system restore keeps failing. I'm not sure on the updates but I don't think that's the problem. I've done everything i can think of with the driver. nothing will fix it. i think it's a windows isssue.

For the updates at least you can check. Control Panel -> Windows Update -> View Update History. Try and have a look if there's something around the time the problem first appeared. Windows updates have given me quite a few headaches, especially with wifi connectivity, I think it might be worth looking into.
Other than that would you mind posting a screenshot of the Network and Sharing Center?
I agree it looks like a Windows issue but I've never encountered anything like it. It intrigues me! ;)

Windows Updates have only been for defender since this started happening.

Capture1.PNGCapture2.PNGCapture3.PNGCapture4.PNG

Here are some screen shots so you don't think i'm crazy lol

For the updates at least you can check. Control Panel -> Windows Update -> View Update History. Try and have a look if there's something around the time the problem first appeared. Windows updates have given me quite a few headaches, especially with wifi connectivity, I think it might be worth looking into.
Other than that would you mind posting a screenshot of the Network and Sharing Center?
I agree it looks like a Windows issue but I've never encountered anything like it. It intrigues me! ;)

Hi, I'm sorry for the delay, I've been away.
Is CMCIT a wired or wireless connection? It's extremely weird though that it shows you're connected, NIC seems to be installed, yet there's nothing in the Network connections panel...
Still, have you tried rolling back the Windows Defender Updates?
P.S. Knowing a bit about windows I am quite sure you're not crazy if you find a bug in it! ;)

CMCIT is a wireless connection. I don't have a built in Ethernet port on the laptop.

Rolling back those updates didn't change anything either.

I'm stumped.

Hi, I'm sorry for the delay, I've been away.
Is CMCIT a wired or wireless connection? It's extremely weird though that it shows you're connected, NIC seems to be installed, yet there's nothing in the Network connections panel...
Still, have you tried rolling back the Windows Defender Updates?
P.S. Knowing a bit about windows I am quite sure you're not crazy if you find a bug in it! ;)

Well i just went ahead and reinstalled. Working in IT i kinda need to get to my adapters properties when dealing with wireless networks.
Thanks you all for you help. Hope no one ever gets this crap issue !

Back
Top Bottom