Windows 7 Wireless Network problem with Window 7 only

thewayfarer

I recently upgraded to Windows 7 and I went out earlier and bought a Linksys Wireless N (WRT120N) router. Hooked it all up, no problem - installed routers a billion times before. Once the wireless network was setup, I plugged my laptop in using a cable and the internet worked fine (still does). Next, I used my friend's laptop (which has Vista on it) and connected to the wireless network just fine. Now, unplugged my own laptop (the one using Windows 7) and tried to connect to the wireless network I had just set up, and it is unable to connect.

I'm still a Windows 7 noob, but I've pretty much tried everything I know to get it to connect. The network shows up when I search for wireless networks, but when I attempt to connect to it I get "Windows was unable to connect to (network name)". If I try the troubleshoot option, it only tells me to "investigate router or access point issues" and trying to resolve the problem gets me "Windows cannot resolve your wireless connectivity issue".

Any advice would be fantastic, as I'd like to get some use out of this thing.

PS - Some more info:

I have a Intel® Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN.
I've tried deleting and re-adding the connection.
I've tried unchecking IPv6.

I had to untick a bix before mine would connect... if you go to Network and Sharing Center, click your wireless point properties, click security then click advanced settings, theres a FIPS tick box, some dont like this (well my BTHomeHub 2.0) didnt anyway.

Once I go into the security tab, there is no advanced settings option. Hmm?

Back