Windows 7 WLAN + LAN at the same Time

TONSCHUH

Hi,

I have at the moment 2 desktop-pc, 1 laptop and 1 wireless printer running in a homegroup network via wlan. IPV4 is set to auto on the pc's and the ip's are reserved via mac-adresses in the wlan-router (inbuild switch / modem / voip / dual-channel). Everything is working fine.

I can't connect the computers via LAN to the router, because the router is sitting in the kitchen and the computers are in different rooms over two floors.

To get better speed for moving files over the network, without disconnecting the i-net via wlan, I bought a switch. Now I tried to connect parallel to the running wlan-homegroup-network-inet-connection, for the beginning two of this computers via network-cards over a switch, but I was not lucky.

My research brought me not really clear answers. Some people say that's not possible to run wlan + lan at the same time, other people, like a guy out of my pc store, are saying that it's possible. It should be possible to run the homegroup via IPV4 over wlan + router / inet and the second network via IPV6 over lan + switch.

First problem is, that I have no knowledge about the config via IPV6 and I have the additional problem, that the lan get's always setup as a public network and not as another homenetwork.

Is here someone who could tell me step by step how to setup the second network via IPV6 + switch and how to send the files I want to move only over the lan-connection / lan-network, but the wlan + inet has to be still aktive and I don't want / can't install a server. The lan-network doesn't need inet-access.

Cheers :confused:

... ok, I am a little bit further up ...

... LAN + WLAN are both aktiv and I-Net over WLAN is working too ... LAN: 192.168.0.x / 255.255.255.0 // WLAN: 192.168.1.x / 255.255.255.0 ... Homegroup is aktiv and working ... all the shared folders / files are still aktiv if I run LAN only ... LAN get's still recognized as a "unindentified Network", even if I run LAN only ... LAN get's set to "public network" and if I change it to "home network" (LAN only), it get's automatically changed back to "public network" after a computer restart ... if LAN + WLAN is aktiv and I try to move files between the computers, it will be allways used the WLAN only ...

... is there a way to tell windows-7-ultimate-x86/x64 to use LAN only to move files between the computers ? ...

Cheers

if LAN + WLAN is aktiv and I try to move files between the computers, it will be allways used the WLAN only ...

... is there a way to tell windows-7-ultimate-x86/x64 to use LAN only to move files between the computers ? ...

Cheers
TONSCHUH:
Hello and welcome to the forums. Typically, I believe you can accomplish this by trying the following.
Type ncpa.cpl into the search or run dialog box and hit the enter key.
On the network connections page, select "Advanced" from the Menu Bar at the top and then select advanced settings from the context menu. In the advanced settings dialog box, select your "LAN" connection, the one you want to use for file and printer sharing, and then use the green arrow to move it to the top. See if that helps.
Failing that, and if you are sure, that you only want to use your Wireless connection for the internet, then I suppose you would be safe in un-binding file and printer sharing from the wireless connection. That should prevent the use of that connection when you are transferring files.

@Trouble:

... THX! a lot for your help ! ... I changed the metric of the LAN-Adapter from "auto" to "1" and the metric of the WLAN-Adapter from "auto" to "254" and now it's working fine ... :)

... I had never to change this in a double-LAN-network under XP ...

Best Regards

Glad you were able to resolve your issue. Thanks for updating your thread with the solution that worked for you.
Has your applied solution had any negative impact on your ability to browse the internet, using the Wireless connection, do you see any latency or lag (if you play online games) or any general sluggishness when just browsing sites. Does the solution persist through multiple reboots.
Anyhow thanks again and hope to continue to see you around the forums.

... the solution persists through multiple reboots ... it's even running if I set the WLAN-Metric down to 30, but if I try to use 20 for LAN and 25 for WLAN it seems not to work ... normally you should not use "1" as a metric, because it seems to be reserved for 127.0.0.1 , so I changed it up to 2 ... when I was playing around with the metric settings it happened, that even with the now working settings the file transfer was still running over the WLAN-Connection, but after a short disconnect of the WLAN-Adapters it was working again and still working after a reboot ...

... have a look here about some common settings: ...

An explanation of the Automatic Metric feature for Internet Protocol routes

... it effects browsing and all the other things ... sometimes you have to refresh your browser to find a page and everything online takes longer, because with this settings everything will be send to the LAN-Adapter first ... downloads, if finally running, are as fast as before ... I would say, that it's better to connect the LAN only, when you have to use it and only both if you have to be online ...

... I decided to completely rebuild our double windows-7 network to solve the probs ...

... this is what I have done so far: ...

-1- moved the router to a different outlet (means ~400 kbps less download speed and ~100 kbps less upload speed)
-2- connected the switch via cat5e to the router
-3- connected the file transfer pc to the switch
-4- connected all pc and the printer via wlan
-5- turned off dhcp in the router
-6- turned on ip routing in the registry for all double network pc

-*- previous created homegroup is still existent

-7- LAN configuration like this:
---------- IP: 192.168.1.x
---------- Subnet: 255.255.0.0
---------- Gateway: 192.168.1.1
---------- DNS: 203.12.160.35 // 203.12.160.36
---------- Metric: 10

-8- WLAN configuration like this:
---------- IP: 192.168.1.x
---------- Subnet: 255.255.255.0
---------- Gateway: 192.168.1.1
---------- DNS: 203.12.160.35 // 203.12.160.36
---------- Metric: 50

... everything is now working fine and all the unidentified networks are gone and every connection has joined the home network ...

... the only change I am thinking about is, maybe to give my router a second IP / Subnet and use this as the gateway for the LAN ...

... btw. I have ordered this ipv6 book too and will have a look, if a change from ipv4 to ipv6 for one or all networks would bring up another improvement: ...

Link Removed - Invalid URL

... THX! a lot @Trouble for your help ! ...

PS: ... I only got the MCP (Windows-NT-4-Server) and CNA (3.12 / 4.11) in 1999/2000, but never worked with it, because I had no basic IT-study in germany and as I moved to australia I had to throw out all my documents, because to heavy for the plane ... if you don't use it on a daily basis, most of your knowledge will disappear ...

Best Regards

:)

Back